Dragon Age Writer Calls BioWare Forums "Toxic"

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
grey_space said:
Crono1973 said:
Well whatever, Bioware is dead to me. Hell, even the founders left the company. If I had any confidence left in Bioware before they left, I would have lost it.

Another good point as to the possible ultimate success or failure of Bioware as a company.

And I can definitely understand your feelings on this matter.

In my own opinion, it will all depend on DA3, really.

I'll see what they do with that.
Last I heard about DA3 is that they have taken great influence from Skyrim. Not being a fan of Skyrim (it's less RPG than it should be) I am not looking forward to that. Besides, they can't out-Bethesda...Bethesda.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I know it sucks to realize, but Bioware (by which I mean EA) is trying to sell their games to everybody, not just the internet effete. Until and unless emotionally unstable people stop being the main population of the vocal internet public, Bioware's just going to have to deal with it or risk losing their consumer base.

Either that or stand up to the big wigs and make a game that simply kicks so much ass that the haters get shouted down by the fans themselves. But there's no money to be made in games like that. Right, EA?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Scyla said:
Maybe they should start to make decent games....

:p
they do. granted its not for everyone, no game is, despite how much COD tries, but there is a group of people that like their games.

And no doubt that the forums turned into bad place. it always does when fans feel mistreated. thats why i often go to fansite forums rather than official ones, much better atmosphere. a good exeption is Paradox forums, it seems that everyone and even the devil wants to help you there.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
He isn't wrong. It seems that the only way people think they can be heard on the internet is to dive into an extreme.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I think he's whining a bit. It's like when a child complains that he's got a limit to data on the super-powered smartphone. I recommend Mr. Gaider go spend a full week posting on 4chan, Youtube... or even the League of Legend forums. He could maybe voice chat with BOPS2 players during a match.

And I don't think that voicing our wants on internet forums qualifies as entitlement...

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
You guys who are all saying "This is justified because your writing in these previous games was bad", let it go maybe? Mass Effect 3 has been out for a while now, so I actually agree about the toxicity of the Bioware forums and what not. Now all that's left are people whining about ME3. Get over it, move on. A vast majority of people (me excluded) voiced their disapointment weeks after the games release, so to have the forums still being bombarded with whiny entitled neckbeardy commenters really makes it apparent that the supposed fanbase is probably the worst any company could have.

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
While the Bioware forums have never been full of love and enlightenment. Ever since they gave what amounted to a big middle finger to the majority of their fans, it has declined into a decidedly darker place.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
Gaider would do well to avoid interacting with bioware forum goers, (he should probably still read them mind you) because from what i've seen when he does deign to respond to someone, its normally to tell them how hey have no right to question he, the all mighty writer's unquestionable smugness.

but in all seriousness ive read a few of his posts and everytime it seems to be him just shooting down some criticism because they are the devs and you are the fans and you dont get a say.

perhaps some of you might think i am one of the more level headed bioware "fans", so let me just state for the record that ive only played nwn2 and dragon age origins, and the former wasnt even actually a bioware game, and the latter didnt really impress me all that much, so i have no strong feelings toward bioware one way or the other

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Even the Escapist in it's ragey-est moments can stop the hullabaloo for a moment, look at the BSN, and say, "Yeah, that place is fucked."

Yeah, it's easy to just say BioWare should just make good games (and we can argue about whether the implications of that statement are true or not). But come on. Detach yourself from the "normalcy" of internet rage for a moment and ask yourself: Is that really a reasonable way to act? You can provide criticism without being a total douche. You can provide some really biting and hard-hitting criticism without acting like that.

That's something that bothers me: Normal people just accepting the way too personal and sadistic behavior of others on the internet. I'm not saying it's something we should censor. It just bugs me that people just go, "Oh, internet. You so crazy" rather than "Oh man. You people are fucked".

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
I definitely sympathize with the man. There is a fine line between constructive criticism and irrational hatred/harassment.

Oh all the things people talk about, nothing makes me go "ugh" more than hearing the words "Mass Effect."

I've only played a little bit of the first game. However, I've watched the few good videos about why the ME3 endings were bad, and I agree. The endings were clearly poorly done, rushed, and failed to deliver what was promised.

However, seeing people ***** about them constantly gets old. I was, and still am, so sick of hearing about it that I have lost all interest in the Mass Effect franchise.

I now get the same "*sigh* boring!" reaction to Mass Effect that I get from another EA franchise, Madden!
Yes, I said it. I find Mass Effect, an epic science fiction game, to be as boring and mundane as a friggin' football simulator.

Now imagine if you felt the same way I did. Now imagine you were the creator of the Mass Effect IP. Yeah, you'd be depressed too.

To anyone accusing the man of "not taking criticism" I say this: Taking criticism is pointless. Taking on criticism is worthwhile. To understand what I mean, I suggest watching the following video.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Grunt_Man11 said:
To anyone accusing the man of "not taking criticism" I say this: Taking criticism is pointless. Taking on criticism is worthwhile.
Exactly so, but that criticism has to come from somewhere. Granted that the BSN's signal-to-noise ratio is seriously skewed, but Gaider is discounting the possibility of finding useful feedback on his own forums - not a position any game developer should take lightly, let alone one whose reputation has fallen to the extent that BioWare's has.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Grunt_Man11 said:
To anyone accusing the man of "not taking criticism" I say this: Taking criticism is pointless. Taking on criticism is worthwhile.
Exactly so, but that criticism has to come from somewhere. Granted that the BSN's signal-to-noise ratio is seriously skewed, but Gaider is discounting the possibility of finding useful feedback on his own forums - not a position any game developer should take lightly, let alone one whose reputation has fallen to the extent that BioWare's has.
I do not think he is doing that. From having watched him one of the forum goers he was most actively and pleasantly engaged with disproved of just about everything Bioware did, but he did so in reasonable ways and what I think is more important, he didn't bang on about the same tired old thing forever.

From looking at the forums its very common for people to bring up topics that have been talked to exhaustion months ago simply to ***** at bioware, perhaps partly because they are unaware that these points have been heard already, but more commonly they do not care.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Crono1973 said:
Last I heard about DA3 is that they have taken great influence from Skyrim. Not being a fan of Skyrim (it's less RPG than it should be) I am not looking forward to that. Besides, they can't out-Bethesda...Bethesda.
hopefully that'll make it more open word and free roaming than DA2.

and yeah Skyrim was flawed enough.

But A hybrid of the two done well could have the potential to be awesome.