Dragons Are Coming To Minecraft

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dragons Are Coming To Minecraft

Blocks are cliché. Creepers are so 2010. The new Minecraft hotness is stupid-huge flying lizards.

This morning, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson -- though at this point he could also be described as an "empowered figurehead" for the beloved sandbox title -- took to Twitter to reveal his latest addition to the game: dragons!

Alright, in truth we only know of a single dragon so far. There may be more, or this single dragon may appear in multiple places as a sort of draconic template. Persson remains coy on the subject, though he was kind enough to offer up a gallery of screenshots centering on the beast [http://imgur.com/a/59H3o].

If the dragon looks a bit pale, that's only because the model is still a work in progress. According to Persson, it lacks proper texturing work, though impressively the beast is capable of flying around the blocky landscape of its own volition.

So far there's no solid release date on the dragon, or any word on what purpose it might serve in the game. The smart money is on "dragon eats things, possibly burns stuff," though its just as likely that the creature is benevolent, and greets players with the gruff, yet comforting voice of Sean Connery.

Admittedly that's just my personal hope, but I think we can all agree that the modern gaming landscape would greatly benefit from an infusion of Sir Sean's warm Scotch vocals.

Source: @notch [https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/122323222497730560]

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
That would make things interesting, crossing fingers for dragon caves and extra treasures in them. Also, I would like to see them just about hunt any mob out there.

The Urban Moose

Nov 9, 2010
Hopefully, you can saddle one. I'm sorry, but my trusty steed "Porky" doesn't really ever get me that far.

Also, why is Notch an "empowered figurehead"?

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Well this is really going to help with that legal battle. :p
My first thought.

I'm actually inclined to think he did that just to piss then.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Valok said:
Blunderboy said:
Well this is really going to help with that legal battle. :p
My first thought.

I'm actually inclined to think he did that just to piss then.
Or just to try and piss off Bioware as well with his new game "Giant Flying Lizards that Breath Fire - Time"

TheFrost

Feb 4, 2011
The dragons or "enderdragons" will only spawn (as far as we know) in a new dimension, the endermen homeplanet(unnamed). some speculate that the new dimension will be the skylands. Endermen will also spawn here, it is rumored that they will be removed from the overworld.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/691668-the-ender-a-new-realm/

From Reddit:

Quote:
cptqwashi
Perhaps the new dimension will be called ender , and will be the home to the mysterious endermen and deadly enderdragons ...

Quote:
xNotch
Well, that's a weird coincidence.

Quote:
xNotch
cptqwashi is 100% correct.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
As far as saddling dragons, they were toying with the idea of dragons a while back, but said they didnt want them as flying mounts as it would be too screwy on gameplay and be detrimental to the experience. To be honest, I think dragons are potentially detrimental to the experience.
It seems like a bit of a dick move at the moment considering the lawsuit to shove dragons in, and, at risk of being wreathed in flame, I think it seems a bit out of place and silly to stick them in.
Creepers were an accident, but they're cool because they were original. Dragons are over-done, and unless they're Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon in everyway, then they're gonna be a disappointment. Sorry to say that I'm not in the least excited by this, and in fact, with that whole food bar thing, the redundant experience, and the switching around with endermen, i'm becoming a bit disenchanted by the whole thing.
Basically, dragons can be cool, but I have the feeling that this time round, they aren't going to be, but instead will be out of place or really fucking annoying.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
dwarf43 said:
The dragons or "enderdragons" will only spawn (as far as we know) in a new dimension, the endermen homeplanet(unnamed). some speculate that the new dimension will be the skylands. Endermen will also spawn here, it is rumored that they will be removed from the overworld.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/691668-the-ender-a-new-realm/

From Reddit:

Quote:
cptqwashi
Perhaps the new dimension will be called ender , and will be the home to the mysterious endermen and deadly enderdragons ...

Quote:
xNotch
Well, that's a weird coincidence.

Quote:
xNotch
cptqwashi is 100% correct.
That sounds great, apart from the name. Why couldn't they just call it The End? It sounds cooler and isn't as dumb to say. Also do not like the pre-fixing of 'ender' to the dragons. I look forward to this.