Draw Harley Quinn Naked, Killing Herself, To Win DC Artist Contest

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Why mention her nudity?
Why NOT mention it?

Of COURSE it's important. It'sa COMIC. It's one guy (the writer) trying to convey a story visually but having someone ELSE draw it. He has to be specific about his vision. Her being naked is part of the image he wants to convey.

Note that her being naked is given ZERO attention. The expression, he state of mind is given two sentences (over half the paragraph).

Having a naked girl in a bathtub trying to kill herself isn't sexist.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Weird requirements, to say the least. While the last one is probably the worst, the other three panels are bizarre as well, especially considering how comical their descriptions sound. Failed suicide attempts, quite a laugh, eh.
I'm not familiar with the character, though. Maybe failed suicide attempts are a running gag with her?

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Maiev Shadowsong said:
How do I know this? I stated in plain text "this is not sexist."
And then proceeded to say it's "objectifying."

Just making statements doesn't make it true. A rose by any other name...

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Skeleon said:
Weird requirements, to say the least. While the last one is probably the worst, the other three panels are bizarre as well, especially considering how comical their descriptions sound. Failed suicide attempts, quite a laugh, eh.
Actually, if done right, they are quite amusing. Jimmy Palmiotti was involved in Deadpool one of the times he went on an attempted suicide spree, probably where he got the idea from...

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Objectification means turning something into an object. Sexism means treating a group or person worse than another because of their sex.

Don't even try to save face. You assumed so hard, you genuinely missed the entire discussion.
You are trying to save face by ignoring the discussion:

Why NOT mention her being naked?

If they are turning her into an object why is her STATE OF MIND given half the description and her APPEARANCE given one word?

You can call it "objectifying a woman" instead of sexism if you want to be coy, your argument STILL makes no sense.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Lol look at all the people trying to make an issue where non exists, the reason they stated she should be naked is because if they didn't they probably draw her clothed and that is not what they are looking for. The have to set perimeters for people to follow so they aren't disqualified and not everyone would automatically assume that being in a bathtub equals nakedness end of story, stop trying to make an issue of everything related to women and showing skin.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well I would love to believe that this is not a fruit of ill intentions on DC's part but this is a popular female super hero. Of course they have the "sexy" angle in mind. Why would they mention nudity otherwise. See it is all part of their plan to widen the demoghraphic...

I just creeped myself out.

But it maybe too early to judge so we should probably wait for the winner piece. Then we can all confirm what we knew this entire time...or be wrong.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW if you consider this 'sexualized', ask any paramedic who was called to a real naked female suicide how turned on they were by the dead blue body they found. I think not much.
A: It's not a dead body they're asking for

B: It's a superhero comic, IE 'hollywood corpses', even if she were dead

C: If you think DC comics is not going to pick the artist who draws the most sexually appealing (sexually appealing as according to market research) panel, you're completely kidding yourself.

LackofCertainty

Apr 14, 2009
I noticed a minor inaccuracy in the article. It's annoying the fact-checker/nit picker in me.

Karloff said:
Maybe the lighting will fry her, maybe the alligators will wake up and smell the chicken bikini, maybe the whale will chow down.
The contest didn't ask for Harley in a chicken bikini; It asks for Harley in a chicken suit.

... also this is the only time I'll ever get to post a picture of someone in a chicken suit and have it be on topic.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Ok.

Ok.

Alright.

Let's take a tally. You ask me, for the third time, about mentioning her naked. This, despite the entire discussion thus far having been me answering that question.

Then you wrongly insist objectification is the same as sexism. Despite having been told otherwise.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call the talk here. I can see you.......... don't take well to reading a debate you are in. Bye.
Again, we see your dodging the question.

Can't objectify something when her feelings and emotions are more important than her appearance. That is the OPPOSITE of being an object.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Coreless said:
Lol look at all the people trying to make an issue where non exists, the reason they stated she should be naked is because if they didn't they probably draw her clothed and that is not what they are looking for. The have to set perimeters for people to follow so they aren't disqualified and not everyone would automatically assume that being in a bathtub equals nakedness end of story, stop trying to make an issue of everything related to women and showing skin.
Yes. Of course. People would all draw a woman fully clothed. In the bath.

They would also all draw birds without feathers if you didn't mention them having feathers, right.

-_________-
of course they would especially if its something official and for a contest. Harley Quinn has a specific costume and I would have drawn her with that costume in the bathtub because I really like that costume and what it brings to her character. Sorry but your analogy with feathers is beyond ridiculous, I'm still baffled you even pressed post thinking that was somehow relevant.