Duke Nukem Forever Coming in May

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Jonci said:
Meh, I'll need to play that demo before I put out any cash on this thing. Not all too excited for a game that gained its fame for a bunch of jokes that were funny two decades ago.
Actually, Duke Nukem 3D was an amazing shooter, an absolute work of genius. Easily one of the best FPSes of all time, and while it wasn't the technological revolution that Quake was, it was most definitely a better game.

That's one of the reasons I'm a little nervous about DNF. Everything I've seen has been focused on dick jokes, naked bimbos and Duke sticking his dick into everything he can get his hands on. He's the ultimate shit-talking brotard superstud. But what about the game? I worry that somewhere along the way, the focus on what actually make DN3D such a great game - the fact that it was a great game - has been lost.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the demo but when one of the big selling points is watching Duke take a first-person perspective piss, well... yeah.
I've never played the first Duke Nukem, but I'm gettin' the new one just because of the appeal (A game that's been in development for 12 years must do..... something)

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I see where you are coming from. Watching the trailer I got a kind of "first person ratchet and clank" vibe. Seemed like there were lots of crazy guns and whatnot. Maybe it will be good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
It's almost a little disappointing in some respects. Who are we going to lob cheap and easy vaporware jokes at now that Duke Nukem Forever is an actual, real thing?
Half Life 2: Episode 3 (or maybe just Half Life 3) is still a prime target, although it can be a bit flame-ware inducing...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Evil the White said:
Half Life: Episode 3 will be the new DNF.

Ep3 shall be worth the weight.

Cookie for referance.
You realize that every time you insult Gabe Newell's weight, he delays the game, right?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Demo? have i read right? there are publishers out there that still know how to do their job?
i am looking forward to it.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Don't believe it. First the game will be delayed by a year, then the world will end in 2012.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
It will have been the only thing taken longer to reach the public than Chinese Democracy. I am morbidly curious to see if it will have been worth the decade+ wait.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Aw man, not only is one of our longest running truisms/jokes coming to an end, but it's happening on my birthday of all days? That's like saying "Happy birthday - you can't make jokes about Duke Nukem Forever anymore!", which is cruel and unusual punishment, heh.

archabaddon said:
It will have been the only thing taken longer to reach the public than Chinese Democracy. I am morbidly curious to see if it will have been worth the decade+ wait.
Actually Chinese Democracy took 15 years to come out - if DNF releases when they say it will then it's only been 14 years since that was announced; Guns N' Roses still holds that particular record.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
vrbtny said:
Andy Chalk said:
Jonci said:
Meh, I'll need to play that demo before I put out any cash on this thing. Not all too excited for a game that gained its fame for a bunch of jokes that were funny two decades ago.
Actually, Duke Nukem 3D was an amazing shooter, an absolute work of genius. Easily one of the best FPSes of all time, and while it wasn't the technological revolution that Quake was, it was most definitely a better game.

That's one of the reasons I'm a little nervous about DNF. Everything I've seen has been focused on dick jokes, naked bimbos and Duke sticking his dick into everything he can get his hands on. He's the ultimate shit-talking brotard superstud. But what about the game? I worry that somewhere along the way, the focus on what actually make DN3D such a great game - the fact that it was a great game - has been lost.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the demo but when one of the big selling points is watching Duke take a first-person perspective piss, well... yeah.
I've never played the first Duke Nukem, but I'm gettin' the new one just because of the appeal (A game that's been in development for 12 years must do..... something)
Duke 3D wasn't actually the first one :)
We had Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem 2 before 3D. They were side scrolling shooters/platformers. I liked them a lot.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I could've sworn they originally said sometime in February. It just made me laugh to think, "Oh god, another delay. It's begun already." But it looks like they might actually be serious this time...

Let's hope angry mothers and activist groups don't call foul when they hear the Duke is returning with balls of steel.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Aw man, not only is one of our longest running truisms/jokes coming to an end, but it's happening on my birthday of all days? That's like saying "Happy birthday - you can't make jokes about Duke Nukem Forever anymore!", which is cruel and unusual punishment, heh.

archabaddon said:
Actually Chinese Democracy took 15 years to come out - if DNF releases when they say it will then it's only been 14 years since that was announced; Guns N' Roses still holds that particular record.
Touché :D

Also, Ars Technica has a trialer to watch here!
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/duke-nukem-forever-arrives-may-3-new-trailer-inside.ars

I'd still hit it! :D

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Jonci said:

I've never played it myself. I've only heard about it from a handful of friends, but it was always about the jokes more than anything about gameplay. The shock value of those days won't work anymore. Hell, Bulletstorm is looking to raise the bar on obscenities with a good showing of gameplay to back it. Sadly, my only experience with Duke is that XBLA title that came out recently. I only tried the trial and found it to be a horrible game.

I do trust Gearbox as a company, but I know what it's like to pick up some piece of garbage project and find myself having to polish it into a gem.