Duke Nukem Forever Goes Gold

Aug 25, 2009
All in favour of voting Episode 3 the next vaporware title?

Of course not, because when Valve takes 14 years to release something that's somehow better than another studio that jerks you around as long.

And yes I am well aware that ep 3 has not yet taken 14 years. Give it time.

I'm actually vaguely excited for this. I began gaming about the time that DNF was announced, so it would be nice to finally see the game released, even if I won't get it right away and it'll probably be a completely generic FPS which just happens to have a sexist main character as it's only unique selling point.

Actually that's a fair point, when the only selling points are 'it's taken fourteen years' and 'our protagonist is a chauvinist' what exactly are we hoping for from this game?

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
It will never be able to live up to the expectations of the fans. In the end it will probably be a decent enough game to play at least once. But definitely not worth the wait.

Or something like this will happen: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever].

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
4RM3D said:
It will never be able to live up to the expectations of the fans.
Believe me, our expectations are alot more realistic than your stereotypes suggest. We aren't expecting the rapture. That's just what people who don't really follow the game think we are expecting. We're expecting 14+ hours of Duke Nukem Forever single-player with fast-paced and old-school(ish) multiplayer. That seems to be what we're getting, so we will be pleased.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I hate to be the party pooper, but the following image pretty much sums up my feelings about DNF's upcoming release:

For me, the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever was roughly half a lifetime ago. I'm a completely different person to the sniveling little Duke fanboy I was back in the day. While I gladly replay old games in occasional fits of nostalgia, I can't even hazard a guess as to the last time I said "You know what? I'm gonna play me some Duke Nukem 3D."

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and use Postal 3 as the new joke, since Vince Desi (the head of RWS) said that he "guarantee Postal 3 will be out before Duke Nukem Forever", now, Duke is coming and Postal 3 is nowhere to be seen... I want some Postal...

Anyway, I've pre-ordered the Balls of Steel Edition of DNF :)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Better yet, you put the disc in, and the whole past decade has been spent setting up the GREATEST. RICK ROLL. EVER!!
And yet...somehow it would still be worth it to see the epic "FUUU-" world wide...

icame

Aug 4, 2010
So when exactly do we start seeing the pigs fly? Because thats what everyone said would happen when this game released.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
You know, when I read that DNF had gone 'Gold', I thought that meant they had already sold over a million pre-orders or something.

TBH, I haven't really been anticipating this game, since I never really got into FPSs until Quake II. But yeah, I'll probably pick this game up.

Unless it turns out that it sucks. Then I won't.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The length of time they spent in development hell is only going to help the sales. Hell, I didn't know of the game until I heard about how crappy things were going for it.

Adamc-mh said:
This be the sign of Rapture. The end is Nigh folks
Oh, man, if the world ended on the release date...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The game better deliver. I reckon the hype will bring it down a lot.
Not gonna get it until the price has dropped at least 50% though. Games are too expensive these days!

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Good thing I pre-ordered my piece of the apocalypse. I get to die before the rest of you.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
I can't wait to put Duke's massive mug between my Mortal Kombat bookends.

Actually, there's a thought. Put Duke in as DLC for Mortal Kombat.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I really hope they do set up a brief rick-roll before the actual title screen appears. That moment of panic and rage that so many gamers would experience would be fucking awesome.