Duke Nukem Forever Review

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Nuke_em_05 said:
.>

Whelp, that's a bummer...

Maybe I just like the idea of a new Duke Nukem game. The original games were great, for the time anyway, and I still like the gameplay, even if the content is immature. I guess that was the thing, though, the immaturity was an aside to the gameplay back then; certainly omni-present, but not specifically the focus.

Then again, maybe the reviews are just focusing on it to focus on it. Anyone who thought this game was going be one of those that moves the industry forward had the wrong idea. If someone expected it to at least have good gameplay; that is a valid expectation, and it seems this review would indicate it hasn't been met.

I still tend to like to form my own opinion; so I'll still buy it and play it, when I have spare time and money to do so. That is the sad part, those of us who enjoyed Duke in High School or Junior High are now working professionals, homeowners, and maybe even parents. All the things that allowed us to enjoy games like Duke at the time are now scarce, and used on more valuable things.

Boy the implications of the timeline for this game's development are somewhat depressing, eh?
You know what, I picked it up on Steam over the weekend, played through most of it (I'm on top of the dam now, ), gotta say, not that bad.

Sure, it isn't ground breaking.

Sure, you can do things like throw poo, slap boobies, draw penises, etc.; but they aren't things they point out for you to do in-game. They seem to be things you have to kinda be looking for anyway... I mean, I go looking around for interactive stuff, but I see "grab" on poo, and I decide not to click "use". I see a whiteboard or signature, I would be the one to choose to draw a penis. I just did a bunch of squiggles in different colors (I was honestly mildly excited to be able to change colors). The boobies, I actually tried to melee them first because a bunch of things on that level that look like that are things you should destroy, I elected not to slap upon discovering the context key.

So, sure, it can sound like a bad game if you just focus on the immature possibilities.

Now then, as for regenerating ego, sure, hiding is a bad way to go as far as context. You do realize you can replenish ego via an execution, yeah? That's pretty "bad-ass" I would think.

I kinda like the platforming, I think people forget how much there actually was in the "classics" like doom, duke, or quake. I also think the driving levels were pretty cool.

Combat and gameplay seemed on-par with most shooters, really. It would have been nifty to have the old school more guns than physically possible model, but the two-guns option still works. Reliance on "infinite ammo" dumps does feel a little odd to me, especially in the boss fights.

Plot-wise, hell, it works. It isn't great, but there is a story and it does progress. A story on-par with pretty much all existing Duke "canon". The jokes didn't seem too over-the-top or in-your-face to me. I chuckled at a few even.

So, I don't know, it didn't seem like that bad of a game. Sure, it isn't spectacular, it has some faults, but honestly, I think it is pretty good so far. Maybe not worth a replay, but not something to avoid like the plague.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
ProtonGuy said:
But what do I know, I mean I've only been gaming since the Intellivision.
"The Intellivision is a video game console released by Mattel in 1979."
source=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

Your birthdate= April 3 1990

My bullshit senses are tingling.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
samaugsch said:
blindthrall said:
Petwins said:
I think this will go on my long list of games I objectively acknowledge as terrible, but enjoy playing none the less
Oh, don't say that, I have huge list of games like that. Dungeon Siege 2, Alpha Protocol, Postal, Deus Ex 2...but not Far Cry 2, I don't care how much people ***** about that game, it was good.
Hey, I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty well designed. Some of the parts I found the most interesting are the healing (where you can jab pliers right into your skin without making any indication that it hurt) and the weapon degradation (yeah, I know some people hate that, but hey, I thought it looked neat the way it was done). Probably the only thing that I can think of that I would want to change are the enemies. Seriously, the only enemies in the game are militia with different kinds of guns. It would've been awesome if they included dangerous animals like lions in the grasslands, hippos and crocodiles in the rivers, etc. This all takes place in Africa so there shouldn't have been too many problems with that. It would've made the environment seem so much more hostile and unforgiving.
If they really wanted to make it gritty- child soldiers. It's pretty much Blood Diamond the Game anyway.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
"imminently forgettable" = about to be forgettable

"eminently forgettable" = highly forgettable

Reviewer guy, you wanted the second one in your last sentence, not the first.

NoNameGimp

Nov 9, 2009
Alright. I'll admit right now that it's not a great game. But i think of DNF as just a fun, raunchy shooter. I didn't really grow up with duke but played his games a lot recently. In my opinion, Duke is his own game. Hail To The King!

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
"Even the basic mechanics of gameplay are not immune from ham-handed self pleasuring."

Best single line summary of a game ever.

rhintintin

Mar 3, 2010
Not that it saves the game from being very poor, me being a PC gaming fanboi, I can't help but smirk that for once a PC game has been poorly ported and omptimised for consoles.

I prepared for the games release by masturbating furiously for a week and watching men behaving badly (not at the same time mind). All in an attempt to try and get myself in the mindset of my 14 year old self. I actually found myself enjoying the game this way. Although that does little more than prove that kids have no taste.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I tryed the demo, and found it funny that Duke tires out faster then me from running. Seriously, run then stop and he needs to catch his breath even if you didn't go very far.

But that aside, is it just me or is Duke weak? I mean his healt--Ego can go down in seconds.

Dieing coupled with the long ass loading screens killed any enjoyment I could get.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Woodsey said:
"Recommendation: If you are stuck on a deserted island with only this game to play, go fishing instead. Worth playing so that you may be able to say that you did, but otherwise imminently forgettable and not worth your time."

I'm not one to beef about scores too much, but what would a game have to do get a 1-star rating, I mean Jesus Christ xD
Its below $20 now and honestly its not nearly this bad. I recently saw a lets play of superman 64. Something like that where all you do is fly through rings with horrible controls and glitches at every left turn deserves a response like what the reviewer gave this game. Duke was not nearly as buggy, the graphics held up for a 12 year old project and was generally playable. Its really suspicious how reviewers universally make this thing seem less suffer-able than watching paint dry.