Duke Nukem Forever

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I played the first one extensively, and if they put "secret doors" and the "jetpack" and actually make it as much fun as it was (to kick a pig in the face and see it burst in bloody gore was great) maybe it will work out

as i stated before, i will play the demo and if its fun to play i will buy it

but i seriously doubt it will be anything other than "average"

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Well, you can either be grim about that game, or cheer up from the fact that you DID tell them what you thought would make the game good, or at least decent, and only hope that they have listened :)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I will probably buy this game. I want a silly shooter. One of the last shooters I actually really enjoyed was Painkiller (I bought it half a year ago), but even there it got a bit too brown (even if the design otherwise was great).

What we need from this game is cathartic violence, and if my wishes could be true, a jet-pack. Jet-packs are cool.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Oh Yahtzee, you say that you're looking forward to this game (I think...), but we all see that you're loading your shit cannon right behind you while you say it.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Don't get me wrong Yahtzee, I do welcome a change of pace from the brooding antiheroes of today. My question is though does that really make the macho meat head self assured heroes of yesterday appealing? I mean really you could say that this is all still the evolution of the same damned ideas. Macho guys runnin' around shooting stuff real good. In other words The Expendables. In other words trash.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here mind you. I'm mildly-to-moderately excited for the return of Duke. It is simple dumb fun. But in terms of theme, is it me or is every hero in every mainstream contemporary video game lately some analogue or another of Schwarzenegger in his Conan days? Are people that into this archetype that no one can make time for dare I say another James Sunderland, or what?

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
More classic Doom! More Serious Sam! More Painkiller!
yes! If duke can pull off the same fun as the original dooms + comedy, it will win game of the year hands down.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Tits!

It would be interesting to see a modern shooter where the protagonist is a swift bullet-sponge with a shell of Kevlar and balls of steel. Or, should I say, it will be interesting.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Alright Gearbox. You had damn well better make sure this game finally comes out because I want to see the review it gets.

Yeah that's right, I care more about the ZP episode the game will get than the actual game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure even DNF understood that video. I am also getting sick of the same ol' same ol' "gritty" plots and cover-based shooting. We do need to have at least SOME series that are pure run and gun.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Through all the hype it has had...I wonder, will it be able to live up to any of it...

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Half-Life killed 'fun FPS' because after THAT intro, everything had to have a serious story. The genre needs to de-evolve into being mindless again. DNF won't be the game to end all games but maybe it will tell designers what a FPS is suppose to be all about.

More hordes of enemies, more OTT weaponry and less caring.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I gotta agree here, that would be a huge let down if they develop a game because of nostalgia but then break that effect by using the conventions of and making it like every other shooter out there at the moment. This worked great for Serious Sam, bucking the current trend in favour of old Doom 2 style action, and that was way back in 2001.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Jaredin said:
Through all the hype it has had...I wonder, will it be able to live up to any of it...
As long as people aren't willing to temper that hype with a degree of reservation (and do they ever?) then no, it won't live up to the hype. I think I tend to enjoy games a lot more because I really never get on the hype wagon. I never expect much, and I'm frequently pleasantly surprised.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
It almost feels like a viable business model now: announce a game firmly in the inundated style of the present day, then wait a decade until people are clamoring for it again.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Yahtzee said:
those weird Where's Wally-style games
Oh God. How the hell did those take off? I perused my local Best Buy's PC section, having spent the last two years shopping on nothing but Steam, and noticed a ton of those "hidden picture" games. The worst part is that they make themselves out to be a wealth of intrigue and story-telling and as soon as you see the term "hidden picture" you realize that you're going to be staring at an (admittedly pretty) enormous picture looking for a few pixels that lead you ahead in the game and you wonder where the actual "game" is supposed to take place.

Not that I can talk about simple puzzle games, since I lost a couple of hours of sleep last night playing the new Professor Layton game, but the charm of those always gets me satisfied.