Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale Review

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it still is fun to scorch these goblins.

Read Full Article

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
@thynameismud and I were playing local co-op, around level 6. We walked down a tunnel, and the camera spun across a corner, then we were suddenly falling through the world into skybox. After falling for several seconds the game respawned us both at town at level 1 with no gear. That's when I quit to dashboard before it decided to auto save.

In regards to healing while the map was up, it's hard to notice, but the game doesn't actually pause while you're in inventory (although I do think the game puts you in "total defense" if you aren't moving or attacking). Which was fun to find out in co-op as the other person was trying to re-slot skills/level up in the middle of a big fight.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It has the makings of a game I could get into (and the price is good) though from all I've heard it's far too buggy, and so I think I'll pass it by. If a few of my friends get it, and they say it's good, and want to play Multiplayer then I may risk it.

Though Magicka was a budget title bugged to high heaven, and I love that game to bits.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Well, the devs know about the bugs and have said they're working on a patch. Also, bugs aside, the game's a total blast.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kross said:
@thynameismud and I were playing local co-op, around level 6. We walked down a tunnel, and the camera spun across a corner, then we were suddenly falling through the world into skybox. After falling for several seconds the game respawned us both at town at level 1 with no gear. That's when I quit to dashboard before it decided to auto save.

In regards to healing while the map was up, it's hard to notice, but the game doesn't actually pause while you're in inventory (although I do think the game puts you in "total defense" if you aren't moving or attacking). Which was fun to find out in co-op as the other person was trying to re-slot skills/level up in the middle of a big fight.
Despite the bugs, is the local co-op fun enough to warrant $15? This is exactly the type of game I have been looking for recently, but I don't want the fun to be soiled by game-breaking bugs D:

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I was looking foreward to this game. Thinking it could be a D&D Heroes reiteration. If it's as buggy as this and other reviews say... I think I'll sit it out. Unless I here about some nice patches.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I was looking forward to another game to use the Forgotten Realms IP. They really have not done much outside of Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's gate.

That being said, I found the game rather boring and unfun. I hope they work on patches soon.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
There is a lot of bugs but what really breaks this game is the game breaking bug in the final boss battle. Good luck on hoping your path will be clear to end the battle cause chances are it won't it took 15 times of doing the same thing til finally it just worked. Those are some horrible odds. When we finally beat it we shut off the 360 and agreed on never talking about it again. Sure it's fun some times, but it misses the mark in terms of anything more than just spamming attack, we didn't even have a healer class just drank potions or died and wait for a revive to die again quickly and do the same thing. It tried to be a Dark Alliance but falls majorly short, I'd recommend pulling out the Dark Alliance series before shelling $15 for this.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I *really* hate to bring this up, but if you would've reviewed TW2, you would've probably loved it. Almost all the things you described, being forced to think about your tactics, getting good timing on your blocks and parries, etc...

Ugh whatever. This review gives me some hope in this game I suppose. I might pick it up when the price goes down a little. I heard a lot of bad things about the game, though.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Sounds about worth its price, so maybe I'll pick it up at some point.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i still will get this, i think.
But seriously, eleven years since diablo2 was released and the advances in loot system are that gold is being shared?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Fappy said:
Kross said:

Despite the bugs, is the local co-op fun enough to warrant $15? This is exactly the type of game I have been looking for recently, but I don't want the fun to be soiled by game-breaking bugs D:
deathspank may be a better choice for fun local hack-n-slash co-op. or castle crashers. i played the demo for this and was disappointed by its lack of anything attention-grabbing

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Zer_ said:
I *really* hate to bring this up, but if you would've reviewed TW2, you would've probably loved it. Almost all the things you described, being forced to think about your tactics, getting good timing on your blocks and parries, etc...

Ugh whatever. This review gives me some hope in this game I suppose. I might pick it up when the price goes down a little. I heard a lot of bad things about the game, though.
That is a point actually. The Witcher 2 got landed with a reviewer that was pretty clear that he doesn't like complex RPGs. And vice-versa, he might have enjoyed Daggerdale more then Mr. Slycne here.
Out of curiosity, how is it you guys are picked for reviews? Do you volunteer or does the Editor just draw names out of a big hat?

On the review though: I've heard similar things from everyone else too. Shame, as it looked MUCH better in the earlier trailers.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Fappy said:
Well, I've put up with a lot of terrible games purely for local same screen co-op, so my opinion may be slightly skewed. What prompted my initial purchase outside of the (somewhat short) demo was the possibility of 3-4 player local co-op. I've only played 2 player with cleric and rogue so far though. And I haven't played since we stopped after falling through the world this past weekend.

It's fun, and worth the $15 if you like this style of action rpg (the demo is enough to get a feel for the mechanics at least). There's a few small bugs, and the character customization was a bit of a let down, especially the feat selection. Each character gets maybe 3 semi interesting feats and a bunch of minor weapon hit/damage bonus selections. There's some minor customization in the skills, which play similarly to the Ultimate Alliance games, but with D&D rules for accuracy/damage.

Running in and laying down righteous justice with some friend(s) in a room with dozens of nasties was quite a bit of fun though. If there was a way to generate random big arena fights or Torchlight style pocket dungeons, I could see them getting quite a bit of life out of it. I hope enough people like this game for them to put a bit more money/effort into the details for future installments.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
gah, reviewers need to tell me if i should buy it or not, not just say 'it might be worth it'.

also this looks like a game i could get into and end up loving, but i doubt its worth even that money. price drop or no sale thank you very much.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kross said:
Fappy said:
Well, I've put up with a lot of terrible games purely for local same screen co-op, so my opinion may be slightly skewed. What prompted my initial purchase outside of the (somewhat short) demo was the possibility of 3-4 player local co-op. I've only played 2 player with cleric and rogue so far though. And I haven't played since we stopped after falling through the world this past weekend.

It's fun, and worth the $15 if you like this style of action rpg (the demo is enough to get a feel for the mechanics at least). There's a few small bugs, and the character customization was a bit of a let down, especially the feat selection. Each character gets maybe 3 semi interesting feats and a bunch of minor weapon hit/damage bonus selections. There's some minor customization in the skills, which play similarly to the Ultimate Alliance games, but with D&D rules for accuracy/damage.

Running in and laying down righteous justice with some friend(s) in a room with dozens of nasties was quite a bit of fun though. If there was a way to generate random big arena fights or Torchlight style pocket dungeons, I could see them getting quite a bit of life out of it. I hope enough people like this game for them to put a bit more money/effort into the details for future installments.
I may check it out. I've been craving some dungeon crawling co-op action and Torchlight II is still two months away. Thanks for the advice :3

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
As with most RPG games and such like this, I've been playing it mostly solo to get a feel for it. I do this so I don't try to game with some self proclaimed expert that will cuss at you for not knowing everything there is to know 5 minutes into the game. But frankly the solo is just so god awful dull I repeadly passed out while playing before ever getting to level 5. A game that dulls you this much so fast and early into it I would never want to touch again. But I'm going to give it another try. Once any of my friends on XBox Live download it too that is. I don't want to risk any random groups and end up with screaming 14 year olds taking a break from Halo and Metal of Honor and Call of Duty.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Zer_ said:
Oh I am quite enjoying The Witcher 2, including the prologue. Finishing that fight in the monastery courtyard actually felt like an achievement instead of presenting "well here's the combat dummy before we risk showing you real combat". I also respect Greg's, and others, opinions though and recognize that not everyone is going to have similar tastes. We actually discuss The Witcher 2 and prologue/tutorials in general in the podcast this week - Escapist Podcast 004 - The Witcher 2 & LA Noire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/3324-004-The-Witcher-2-LA-Noire].

Canadish said:
Out of curiosity, how is it you guys are picked for reviews? Do you volunteer or does the Editor just draw names out of a big hat?
It's a mixture of factors. Volunteering mostly (especially for indie titles), but also who has the time/isn't already reviewing something, who likes this series or kind of game, who might have an interesting perspective, just a tiny dash of seniority and at least one occasion arm wrestling.

CardinalPiggles said:
gah, reviewers need to tell me if i should buy it or not, not just say 'it might be worth it'.

also this looks like a game i could get into and end up loving, but i doubt its worth even that money. price drop or no sale thank you very much.
Unless you know that you are really into action rpgs/hack and slash or are really craving some local co-op, it's probably safe to pass one it, but I would recommend keeping an eye on the next one. There are some solidly fun mechanics and game under there, just needs some extra time either a patch or another title to really bring it to the fore front. I wouldn't mind seeing some more customization at character creation and progression in the next go around though.