Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale Review

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
See here's my question - Why would anyone play this when the best D&D computer game, Baldur's Gate 2, has already been released ages ago?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Urgh, did not enjoy this game, not one bit. Its buggy, terrible sound and the camera annoyed the hell out of me.
Dark Alliance & Demonstone did D&D action rpg waaaay better.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
CM156 said:
I was looking forward to another game to use the Forgotten Realms IP. They really have not done much outside of Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's gate.
Well, that's because Forgotten Realms is one of the bigger settings, if not the biggest, currently in use. And, thanks to the Interplay games and Neverwinter Nights, it's also the most prominent one for CRPG games. There've been two Eberron games (Dragonshard and DDO), however.

That said, the D&D license was in legal turmoil for a bit, hence why we're only just getting new D&D games this long after Neverwinter Nights 2.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
coldalarm said:
CM156 said:
I was looking forward to another game to use the Forgotten Realms IP. They really have not done much outside of Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's gate.
Well, that's because Forgotten Realms is one of the bigger settings, if not the biggest, currently in use. And, thanks to the Interplay games and Neverwinter Nights, it's also the most prominent one for CRPG games. There've been two Eberron games (Dragonshard and DDO), however.

That said, the D&D license was in legal turmoil for a bit, hence why we're only just getting new D&D games this long after Neverwinter Nights 2.
I know, and it really sucks. Speaking as a DM, there is so much that can be done with Forgotten Realms. Granted, my story is ripping off NWN2 to such a degree, but I am adding a few diffrent things.

Also, they call Bane "The Lord of Darkness". That is true, but he is more well known as "The Black Hand" or "The Black Lord" or "The Lord of Tyranny". When I think darkness, I think Shar and Mask, not Bane.

Also, the save/die system in the game sucks.

Jacksaw Jack

Mar 17, 2011
I hate 4th edition. Tried it and it's like the new WoW expansion on paper, dumbed down so any idiot could mindlessly hit stuff with giant weapons and make 'That's what she said.' jokes every 2 seconds.

I'll stick with my 3.5 spells and classes, thank you very much. *sigh* I wish Gygax was still with us.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I was excited to see what a 4E game would look like, but rather disappointed with the result.
Where is the class customization that is D&D. Granted they want to keep it easy for new players, but where was the option to customize my stats? And the Feat selection was rather lame. Playing the Halfling Wizard the only 2 feats you need you can get by level 3, the rest just went into making my staff hit harder. I was a little surprised that "minions" didn't have 1hp, granted they still went down with ease... But every so often a Fireball wouldn't kill them all.

All in all I found the game to be rather easy, the final boss fight was rather annoying. Took me 4 "cycles" to figure out how to get it to end. And then after the credits my character bugged, I lost Magic Missles, and Couldn't even swing my staff to break a barrel. But at least I beat it before getting bugged?

lets see if the sequel is any better.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Looks kinda boring to be honest. Also the environments look dreary, if all the game is in tight little corridors i see it getting old fast. The forgotten realms have really grand panoramas of fantasy and they chose to bundle all the action in the aforementioned brownish gray corridors. I haven't played the game and i'm basing my opinion from the review, so feel free to correct me.

Looks more like yet another hack and slash rpg (leave some innovation for the rest of us etc) with no characteristics beyond Bane lol! for it to actually be called a D&D game.

ChristovR

May 15, 2010
Jacksaw Jack said:
I hate 4th edition. Tried it and it's like the new WoW expansion on paper, dumbed down so any idiot could mindlessly hit stuff with giant weapons and make 'That's what she said.' jokes every 2 seconds.

I'll stick with my 3.5 spells and classes, thank you very much. *sigh* I wish Gygax was still with us.
I'm with you on this one. 4th was a huge disappointment, and I am sad that I did spend money to buy the core rule boxset and two of the other books before I got to realize what it was. Would have even preferred a step back to 2nd edition. The move to 4th edition would not be so bad if WotC still supported (or at the very least supplied) 3.5 but they seemed to have abandoned it entirely.

Shadeovblack

Jul 4, 2009
Slycne said:
Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale Review

Classes and races come in four predetermined combos (human fighter, dwarven cleric, halfing wizard and elven rogue)

Read Full Article

Thank you, that's all I need to know, to know I'm not getting it.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Ok, so that's an obvious 'no purchase' for me, but I'll certainly keep an eye open for any sequels. I mean, until Diablo 3 is released, and then I'll forget this game ever existed.

violentbob99

Apr 29, 2006
pathfinder supports 3.5 with a few tweaks. no more overly long grapple crap and some name changes to avoid copyright infringement but great experience so far. if i wanted to play a video game i would. tabletops are supposed to have more options than 4e, when i here 4e players in a game it sounds like wow gamers

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
A new D&D video game? Awesome!

Oh, it's 4E you say? Nevermind, I'll just go dust off some old NWN mods or something...

It's a good thing we start our Pathfinder campaign next week, I just couldn't get into 4th edition, despite more than a few months of trying.

SuperJay

Jun 3, 2011
Avg Metacritic Reviewer Score: 47 / 100
Avg Metacritic Player Score: 5.6 / 10

Do yourself a favor and don't buy Daggerdale. It's bugged to hell - your characters can be come permanently crippled by losing spells, abilities, and equipment; merchant inventories spontaneously disappear, NPCs glitch and lock up frequently, players are frequently dropped from co-op games (or the host crashes and everyone disconnects) the final boss battle is glitched and will require a dozen replays, etc.

There's no way to heal yourself outside of drinking potions (unless you're a cleric) but you can only buy 5 potions at a time and each one only returns about 15% of your health - so combat is a long, tedious battle of attrition that will see you running back to camp for a free heal and new potions.

Also, the game doesn't really save. You can select the Save Game command from the pause menu, but that will only store your character's current stats; the next time you load, you won't start where you saved - you'll have to grind your way back through a tedious series battles you've already fought (and everything respawns within about 3 minutes of you killing it). When you die, you are penalized XP and gold - no problem there - but you also *lose all your quest progress* and have to start from the beginning of the most recent quest. If you were told to find 6 keys, and you die after finding 5 of them, you'll have to restart the entire quest and re-do the whole thing over again.

Aside from all these problems, this isn't anything remotely close to D&D outside of basic terms like HP, AC, or saving throws. It's a bland, boring, bug-ridden, half-finished abortion of a game that's desperately in need of about six patches - and even then, it'll only be worth $5.00, not $15.

And yes, hi, this is my first post. Sorry to open up with a rant, but I had to sign up here just to try and help others avoid getting burned by this game like I did. I promise I'm not always a jerk, seriously. :)

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
SuperJay said:
Avg Metacritic Reviewer Score: 47 / 100
Aside from all these problems, this isn't anything remotely close to D&D outside of basic terms like HP, AC, or saving throws. It's a bland, boring, bug-ridden, half-finished abortion of a game that's desperately in need of about six patches - and even then, it'll only be worth $5.00, not $15.
I think you meant it's an "aberration of a game." Since it was released, it obviously wasn't stopped in progress (although maybe it should have been). Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Still, that's an awful lot of things to have wrong with the game. No saves in an RPG? Even with a hack n' slash, that's just a really Bad Idea.