Dungeons and Dragons.

Ryan Quirt

Oct 11, 2010
The problem with 4E is the OGL (Open Gaming License) when when Wizards made the basics of the 20 system open source they made it so if they created a D&D version that was unlike D20 the well would already be poisoned against them.

4E is not a bad game. It is just a very different game from what the biggest name in role playing conditioned it's audience to like. With the help from every other company that used the OLG

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I've only recently started playing D&D myself, but if my experiences so far are anything to go by it's all about the people you play with.

If you get a good group and click with them you will have a LOT of fun.

Having a beer or two (if you're old enough) during a session can be good for beginner roleplayers too, it can help lower shyness/inhibitions in front of a group of people you may not know very well.

guidance

Dec 9, 2010
A few weeks ago a group of friends and I tried playing 4th edition from a starter set that one of them had, I had to DM because I was the only one who read the rule book. We ended up having to make up some rules because even from reading and rereading we couldn't figure some stuff out or find it in the book (like the range of the half-ling rogues dagger). We found it fun and would like to try it again but only me and one of my friends are willing to buy the stuff we need, the rest are willing to keep playing as long as its free. Even if we were to continue we really don't know where to go from here, we have played the started set and can kind of figure out the basics, but as far as character creation, dungeon creation, campaign creation, and actual DMing we really don't know where to go. Any tips?

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
lady man lady said:
my god do not play 4.0, play either 3.5, and if you have a good DM good old AD&D
Ignore purists who flame 4th Edition and just find the Edition that suits you the most. Do a bit of research on them.

Also, like what Kingcom said in the first post, establish your aims for running the campaign. What do YOU want out of it? (Pro Tip: If you (the DM) isn't having fun, don't feel obliged to continue. Establish a medium which satisfies you and the players. I find that my players despise any suggestion I make to make their backstories more plausible).

-You'll need a full set of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and d%).

-A battle mat is also useul. (But not exactly necessary)

-A group of players who are interested.

-Read Check For Traps here on the Escapist. Has great advice for a budding DM on how to go about hosting your first session and building your first campaign.

-There are a lot of useful online tools to help. Hexographer is great for designing a world map. D&D Character Builder (4th Edition) and the D&D Adventure Tools (4th Edition) are great additions as well.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I am a long time player of D&D 3.5 and I love it. If you want to play 3.5, the DMG (dungeon master's guide) Player's handbook, and monster manual 1 are a good start. 4.0 is interesting, only played a few sessions of it. My opinion 4.0 is a good spring board to get you started with D&D, and when you feel more comfortable make the jump to 3.5.

I also play White Wolf Studio's original world of darkness games. Hunter the Reckoning, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, as well as some of its breed book supplements such as the Mokole, and Mage the Ascension.

Jeran Korak

Aug 25, 2011
Takuanuva said:
I have bought all of the core DnD 3.5 edition books I could find. And quite a lot of 3.0 supplements.
...I've never found anyone to play with.
I play 3.5 and 2.0. Well, online versions of them.

Belthalmel

Dec 18, 2009
For pathfinder and 3.5 D&D you can find most stuff on the srd or on pdf. Playing with a laptop at the table is pretty damn handy anyway.

SRd for 3.5

http://www.d20srd.org/

and for pathfinder

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/

Use those to start, they include all open game content as well as encounter calculators, monster filters and online dice bags.

DJROC

Dec 15, 2010
Played Rifts, D&D 4.0, D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars D20, Serenity, and Spycraft.

RIFTS: Expansive multiverse combining a very dangerous world with science fiction and magic. Good for heavily story-based games. I have heard, however, that the Palladium rpg books (of which RIFTS is a part) is constructed using the "Wouldn't it be cool if..." method, and their materials aren't playtested; which basically means if you have a half-decent power gamer they'll break the system in a flash if the GM doesn't limit access to resources.

D&D 4.0: Boring, in my opinion. Eliminated way too much from D&D 3.5, heavily combat focused and reduced the game mechanics too much. In this respect, all of the classes are well balanced, but I'm rather fond of specialization. It's a highly customizable board game, in my mind. The problem in that being if I wanted to play that way, my group and I would just break out Descent and actually play a light-roleplaying combat-based board game.

D&D 3.5: More complicated that D&D 4.0, in some ways off-putingly so. Much more stuff to do outside of combat, but combat is also more complicated and experience-worthy encounters can be more difficult to survive. Problem lies in the errata. 3.5 books aren't published anymore, and if you only have the core resources, you don't have a lot of options. 3.5 published the core "rule" books, and then released book after book of how you're allowed to break those rules. Highly imbalanced system between magic users and non-magic users. For low level characters, the physical characters get their powers right off the gate while the magicians are rather puny and weak. The problem is that physical characters have a very difficult and slow time increasing their physical prowess past that base point without magical augmentation. Meanwhile, magicians start warping reality to their will after level 7 or so.

Pathfinder: As others have said, and as it is popularly marketed, Pathfinder is D&D 3.75. It incorporates some of the streamlining that went into D&D 4.0 without the obsession with balanced combat focus. Suffers from similar problems as D&D 3.5, but heroes tend to find it a little easier to be heroic. I feel it's more player friendly than D&D.

Star Wars D20: Played a continuous campaign of this for almost a year. Loved it. Pretty standard D20 system. Breakability in any technology heavy campaign, however, comes from technology. Your hackers and technomancers are fond of breaking limitations, which requires a heavy security or authority presence (e.g. the Empire, Republic Military, etc.) to keep them checked. Some complaints with the force-power system. System used feats to unlock force categories (force sensitive, sense, control, alter) while skill points were used to increase your ability to use specific actions like force push, heal, lighting, etc. Would have preferred the force categories (sense, control, alter) to have been the skill point system with feats as groups of actions you could perform, which is, IIRC how the D6 system did it.

Serenity RPG: Another standard D20 system. Main change from Star Wars was the huge technology disparity of the core and rim worlds. Also, purchasing system seemed weird. Alternatively there's a D6 system version. Never have played a D6 version, as they tend to be less popular for whatever reason, so I can't really compare and contrast the two.

Spycraft: Most recent and quite possibly my favorite system I've played so far. Very "cinematic" game play style. The PC's are the heroes plus they are largely expected to win and to look completely bad-ass while doing it. NPC's are generated very differently from the PC creation, allows for varying challenges that PC's can't replicated. Turn-based combat is much more free. Floating initiative system means that you can take different actions to change your order in combat. You have two "half actions" with which you can do any combination of whatever. Where as D&D says you have a "standard">"move">"minor" and you can trade down, but not up, in Spycraft "standard" and "movement" are considered equal. So straight from level one, if you want to not move and spend both your half actions to take two attacks, you can do so with no penalty. "Dramatic conflict" has rules for chase sequences, infiltrations, seduction, brainwashing, interrogation, for those situations where you'd rather play out important moments instead of making just a single die roll to determine if you succeed or fail. Same company also has a Fantasycraft system for your sword-and-sorcery pleasure.

Samurai7e7

May 28, 2009
I highly reccomend 4th edition as an introduction into the tabletop RPG world. I've played 3.5 and a few other games but I've always found 4th to flow best. I also reccomend the Wizards product "Gamma World," which operates under similar rules to 4th, but has a slightly more streamlined approach.

Hope this helps, enjoy DND!

Sep 13, 2009
Takuanuva said:
I have bought all of the core DnD 3.5 edition books I could find. And quite a lot of 3.0 supplements.
...I've never found anyone to play with.
I feel your pain, I've learned how to play 3 different tabletop rpgs besides D&D and have the books for two of them. Still have not managed to get people together for a session.

OT: If you're trying to get into D&D it's usually best to find people who'd like to play it with you first. Be it friends with similar interest or just a gaming store that hosts regular games. It's much easier to learn the rules and get into it if you have at least one person who's familiar with how to play the game, but if you don't have that at the very least having a group to figure out the rules is nice.

Some of the other games suggested look pretty good. Look into a couple different games and see what catches your eye. I'd look into the rule complexity too. Some games can be very difficult to get started off in.

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
My tips would be:

Be familiar with your class. Never play a spellcaster as your first character. Keep it simple with a fighter,barbarian or a rogue. If you DO have interest in being a spell caster, study up on your spells. No one wants to stop the game because the wizard can't figure out how many feet his magic missile can go.

Don't stop the game to argue about rules. Go with whatever the DM says and if you have a question/complaint/suggestion take it up with them outside of game time. No one has fun if the game gets bogged down arguing about grappling rules.

Work as a team. Your character can be different from all the other player characters, of course, or else it wouldn't be any fun. But find a happy medium in teamwork and being your own character. No one likes to have one person do something disruptive in-game when the rest of the team is in sync and working together. If you DO decide to do something like this, at least have an in-character reason. That way the other PC's can say 'He was not fighting for our cause, we had no other choice' instead of 'That guy was a massive douche' when they leave you behind to be teabagged by orcs.

kkraww

Sep 3, 2011
i know its parroting what most people said but its only good if you have a core group of people to play with. I would disagree and say play second edition advanced. by far the superior of all the editions IMHO

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
I started playing with D&D second addition. after that RPGs became a major part of my like i have gamed with many groups and systems. the high point was last year when i published my own system. all in all, i love the hobby.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
I'm of the belief that, no matter the system, no matter the brand, it's the company you keep that gives you the real enjoyment from the game. That should be your priority, especially when everyone knows when to be goofy and random or when to be serious and straight forward. Find a good group and you'll be set for anything.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
As someone who's played 2, 3, 3.5, and 4; I recommend 4.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well, I did make a post ages ago but the Escapist seems to be making a complete cock up of page 2 of this thread for some reason, so here it is again:

Well now...personally I ever only got familiar with 2nd ed ADnD, however I only had a couple of abortive attempts to play it, I still remember the ruleset pretty well as I wrote an adventure with a bit of a setting added to play with a group of people but they were too into vanilla Forgotten Realms. There's a ton of material out there for D&D and it has a huge player base so you can always get help and advise as well as downloads and such for it.

Other than that I've played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay V1 and V2, mainly V1, the famous Shadows over Bogenhaffen etc campaign but a bit of V2 and they are great fun if you want a low fantasy approach, you'll never cleave your way through an army of 1000 orcs armed with your magical sword of instant monster annihilation to rescue the kings comely daughter but the fun comes more from human interaction and comic desperation. V3 was recently released by FFG who took over the licence from GW and V3 completely changed the ruleset much to everyone's extreme hatred and bloodlust so you could go for that, or if you aren't a dribbling idiot you could try buying V2 for a much cheaper price on pdf from rpg.now or drivethrurpg.com

I also played Cyberpunk 2020 a lot when I was younger. It was an awesome game, generally very simple yet flexible rules although there were a couple of minor kinks (slightly confusing hand to hand combat and an inexperienced GM could have players walk all over them) in them and the netrunning rules were problematic, they were sort of functional but really interrupted play as it was just the player with the netrunner character and the GM, everyone else had to sit around twiddling their thumbs.

Dark Heresy...I don't like it. The rule system is derived from WHFRP, which I like, but applied to DH and with a fair few additions I really dislike it. As someone else said, the character creation process is a bit complicated, not mind bendingly so but enough to be a bit offputting. One of the things I didn't like about WHFRP V2 was the expansion of "Talents" lots of little rule additions and exceptions that are applied to characters or NPCs etc with those talents, and they expanded them massively for DH. Too many little rules and whatnot to remember. Just generally it feels a bit overly complex and rule heavy.
The game setting is...well it's 40K given a more sensible "off battlefield" treatment. It's better than the standard level of fluff writing but it's still modern 40k (full disclosure here, I started off with Rogue Trader [i.e. 1987, Warhammer 40,000 rogue Trader] and don't like what has been done to 40K in the meantime so I'm always going to be a bit critical of the setting, it isn't the RPG's fault). That said if it wasn't for the ruleset I'd really like it, it adds the depth that 40K is lacking, even if I would have preferred it to go in another direction.

Rogue Trader is another one based on 40K, same ruleset which annoys me again, but more freedom to go out and explore space, it still has the taint of modern 40K attached to it but the stench is lessened due to the idea of the game being to go out beyond Imperial space and explore.

Lastly I played a little bit of Twilight 2000, was a good premise but a very old school game, the MRB was terribly laid out and it was all a bit complex, I was going to play it using Interlock (the Cyberpunk 2020 system) but never got round to it.

Lastly, there are plenty of RPGs out there catering to every scenario imaginable using a base system for the rules and then settings and scenarios by all sorts of different companies. The D20 system (which I believe is based on D&D) is one of the biggest.

EDIT: Hmm, page 2 seems to be working again, typical :mad:

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
NnyTheV said:
Hello, Escapians! I've recently gotten it into my head to learn how to play dungeons and dragons, and I was wondering what I should get to start myself off. For discussion value: What are your experiences with tabletop RPGs?
Well, as am sure has been mentioned, firstly you've got to get a general idea of what kinda Tabletop game you want to play.

Once you've sorted that, unless you want to run the whole thing (and trust me, unless you REALLY know the rules, you don't) you want to find yourself a DM (dungeon master - aka the person who runs the thing). Now, I've been lucky in that most of my buddies have been into one form of TTRPG or another, but I'm sure this can be hard if you're somewhat of a recluse and/or don't have an easy access gamer group.

In the likely event that none of your buddies are RPGers, I'd recommend you find a hobby shop near you. Hopefully they'll have a gm looking for gamers advertising. Failing that I'm there's some kind of website where you can try find a game in your area to join.

Now, waht you need to do when you find your DM is make friends with them. Not in a 'so he gives me moy moy xp and items' way, but so they know who you are, they know that you're new and will need help with basic stuff that regular players will breeze through, etc. Ask them for pointers on making your character - bot to deal with your own noobishness, and also to try integrate it with their campaign/world. You always want a good dialogue with your DM, They're more likely to let you go crazy if they have an idea of whereyou're going with it.

If you really have no experience but want some risk free, ask the DM if you can sit in on one of their game sessions and observe, maybe control some less important NPCs (Non Player Characters) if they let you. This'll give you an idea how the system works and a chance to talk/bond with your potential group.

And finally I recommend reading Darths & Droids [http://www.darthsanddroids.net/] - a screenshot webcomic gthat treats the Star Wars films like a series of gaming sessions. They tend to have the occasional RPG tip in their author's notes, which are generally worth a read. This also contains an example of DM/PC character development co-operation.

TL:DR - Learn the basics, Find someone who is running a game, treat them as your 'sensei', DON'T be a suck-up, but get the to help you.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I never played the game before. Though I am enthralled by it's lore. It has a thumbs up from me, although I don't really intend to play the game.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
NnyTheV said:
Dark Heresy seems very good. Is this the book needed? http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dark-heresy-owen-barnes/1101960235?ean=9781589944541&itm=3&usri=dark%2bheresy%2bbook
While the system is quite fun, our group found the lethal nature of the setting quite bothersome. So if you like to role play and get attached to your character, Dark Heresy may not be for you. Though I heard they also have a version called Rogue Trader which may be less lethal.