Dust 514 Fanfest Preview

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
srodney said:
I personally believe its the numbers. If we take this source as gospel for Battlefield 3 http://www.gamezone.com/products/battlefield-3/news/battlefield-3-xbox-360-sales-nearly-double-ps3 Written on November 3rd 2011

Xbox - 2,249,092 Sold
PS3 - 1,486,067 Sold
PC - 487,181 Sold
Total - 4,222,340 Sold

Even for a popular series the PC sales are not even close to the console sales. For a new and untested IP? I wouldn't even consider a port to PC.
1) It's a free to play game so no box sales.

2) Sales numbers for PCs never been accurate, mostly because they only include retail sales (Steam doesn't release sale numbers) and are limited to first month most of the time, while PC games tend to sell in longer timespan.

3) According to Pc Gaming Alliance, PC game revenue is higher than any single console, and overall makes up for 48% of total gaming related revenue (retail + digital + DLC + ads + subscriptions)

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
srodney said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
I personally believe its the numbers. If we take this source as gospel for Battlefield 3 http://www.gamezone.com/products/battlefield-3/news/battlefield-3-xbox-360-sales-nearly-double-ps3 Written on November 3rd 2011

Xbox - 2,249,092 Sold
PS3 - 1,486,067 Sold
PC - 487,181 Sold
Total - 4,222,340 Sold

Even for a popular series the PC sales are not even close to the console sales. For a new and untested IP? I wouldn't even consider a port to PC.
But this "New and untested IP" we're talking about is connected to a game that is popular on the PC. and the reason Battlefield 3 sold SO WELL on consoles is that it IS a name that is known, you can't compare sales numbers like that, when a ton of games that just appear that have no name behind them sell better on PC, why? Because PC has a wider range of distribution options, put that fucker on steam and it'll sell like hotcakes... Also, those numbers might be heavily influenced by the rather large level of popular hate for origin, I know that the requirement of origin is what stopped me from buying BF3.

I would also like to point out that the PC gaming market had already been hit with the release of several other popular IPs at that time of year, so... you really have to look at the entire picture here, in the time ONE POPULAR game comes out on a console, you sometimes have like 10+ popular PC games launching, across a wide variety of distributions systems, and the fact that I know that myself and a good deal of PC gamers I know wait to see if it's worth buying before spending money, which could also create a much smaller innitial sales rush.

But my main reason for thinking it's a bad Idea to release a game linked to an already persisting universe on a console that may be phased out in 2 years, is simply that in itself, if you release your game on PC it has the lasting power of whatever compatability it has, which when you consider how I can run games produced in the late 80s early 90s on my PC just FINE(usually using Dos Box to negate a lot of the compatability and clock speed problems, but still.), and when you're looking at a consistant, continuing universe, putting any essencial part of the experience on a cosole that has already been out long enough for development trends to suggest it won't be around much longer is a BAD IDEA.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Kwil said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
Again with this? Seriously, Sony is in no hurry to develop any sort of new console.. not in the next two years, probably not for another 5.

Development trends for the PS3 are actually better than they are for their competitors in the console market. Development for all consoles is dropping because of the increased development for iOS, tablets, and smartphones, and a new and improved console will not reverse that -- more importantly.. Sony's well aware of that.
Sony being "well aware" of any trends is hard to believe, I mean, looking at their development history... most recently the Vita...

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Tiger Sora said:
Man, two different games being able to interact from different systems. Seems like such a sweet idea. But whats to stop some rogue EVE player from just bombarding everyone for teh lols.
Assuming it's only Dreadnoughts and maybe a few other capital ships that can bombard, that requires a fair amount of support or they will be sitting ducks from other EvE ships. So even if there were no special codes people wouldn't just fly around alone and shoot at random planets.

There has been some rumors that CCP are working on a PC port, one can only hope. :)

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
It's looking like a great game, but I'm always hesitant to dig into anything CCP makes. EVE Online is a great... "thing", but the problem is that CCP takes *so long* to do anything that any sense of newness is licked down to nothing by the time new content rolls out. I mean, how long have they been working on stations? They seem to take as long to make some new animations for their guns as other studios put out entire expansion packs.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
This game is really starting to excite me. I like the idea of losing all your loot upon death, it will (hopefully) make for a more team oriented game, with squads fighting from cover as opposed to everyone just lone wolfing it for points. Seems to be in keeping with EVE online, in that you don't last long alone up there either :p

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I'm surprised you showed a trailer video instead of one of the interview with gameplay footage. There's one on youtube and, I'm sorry to say, it's not that impressive.

This was somewhat a letdown for me, since I was really looking forward to it. But, after seeing how the game flows... Yeah, there's really not much going on for it from the FPS perspective...

Being free however, I will most likely give it a shot. Really curious how CCP are gonna take money from this.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Keava said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
It's really too bad they aren't releasing this on the PC, cuz they've pretty much alienated an entire half (or more) of the FPS market doing it on console, after all, if you have what ammounts to an mmofps, wouldn't PC be a more viable market, what with a new generation of consoles coming out within the next couple years, wouldn't it be a better strategy to build for a platform that won't be overshadowed by it's larger more powerful decendant when it pops off the factory floor and into stores.

If you have a game, on PC that's a MMO of the scale of EVE, and then make a game that's going to be integral to system control, on a console that'll soon be considered OLD NEWS, doesn't that seem a rather... I dunno, detrimental decision on their part?
I think the reason is CCP wasn't able to develop the game from their own pocket while also having to work on EVE and World of Darkness MMO. The exclusive deal with Sony brought some additional money in as well as help in terms of development from Sony devs (tho I guess that was mostly with specifics of PS3 system and cross-platform integration)

Mind You that's mostly speculations based on some snippets from when DUST was first announced to public.

Pretty much only thing stopping me from getting PS3 to play this game is the fact I simply can't stand playing shooters with pad. It feels so unnatural to me. Mouse or death.

Don't you know?

It's been officially confirmed that DUST will support keyboard and mouse control on the PS3.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zulnam said:
I'm surprised you showed a trailer video instead of one of the interview with gameplay footage. There's one on youtube and, I'm sorry to say, it's not that impressive.

This was somewhat a letdown for me, since I was really looking forward to it. But, after seeing how the game flows... Yeah, there's really not much going on for it from the FPS perspective...

Being free however, I will most likely give it a shot. Really curious how CCP are gonna take money from this.
Wait. The one in the article? That is almost a whole year old.

That's actual gameplay.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Looks great! Amazing! Fantastic!

Oh wait. I don't have a PS3.

I could talk about the technical achievements this game has no doubt made but if a large amount of their targeted demographic can't play it. Then what's the point.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Not gunna lie, if I was that Moros pilot I would be mad if some console kiddie blew up my dreadnaught.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
And this is why I stopped playing EVE. CCP making stupid decisions for their players, ok I understand they might not have had the money to work on this for PC, but PS3 exclusive? No. As people have stated, it's alienating the fanbase, as generally I'm going to assume that most people who have a Pc powerful enough to run EVE at max, probably don't have a PS3.

That and cash shop in an already Pay to play game, I mean really, that's a douche move.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I do like the look of this and as someone who really like the Eve lore but not the game so much this is a really damn appealing thing.

However the PS3 exclusive is killing me as I don't own one. And as nice as this game, and the maybe five other PS3 games i would want to play, looks it's not an investment I'm willing to make.