Dust 514 Fanfest Preview

Failsafe Operator

Mar 25, 2012
Catalyst6 said:
It's looking like a great game, but I'm always hesitant to dig into anything CCP makes. EVE Online is a great... "thing", but the problem is that CCP takes *so long* to do anything that any sense of newness is licked down to nothing by the time new content rolls out. I mean, how long have they been working on stations? They seem to take as long to make some new animations for their guns as other studios put out entire expansion packs.
I would have agreed with you pre - jita riots...however after this occasion, I believe CCP has a new found focus on what's important. IE...crucible. We got all kinds of goodies in this expansion and it's only going to get better with inferno.

And must I remind people that I have never paid for an expansion and never will with CCP's model, and I have been playing since 2007. There is no additional 50 dollars to be paid for the latest and greatest package in addition to the 15 dollars a month. Besides, who cares about turret animations when you are in a system with 2000 players killing each other in PVP goodness. Which is what the game is all about.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
On the one hand, I love the idea of the game, and think CCP is a great developer. On the other, I haven't found a compelling reason to turn on my PS3 in months. A PC release would make me much more likely to give the game a shot.

On the third hand, I am now tempted to reopen my Eve account. It never lasts, but I've never quite burned myself out on the game like I did with WoW.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I'm interested, but not enough to play something online on a console. I'll wait until the inevitable PC release.
Probably not, see currently the game will be on one server basically, so if they made it for PC aswell, they would have to make another server as PS3 and PC Players wouldn't be able to play with each other for obvious reasons.
I can't think of what those reasons would be. And anyway, them releasing it on PC as well would just be good business. No sense in splitting your player base. Most people who would be interested in Dust play Eve, so it makes sense for them to release on the same platform that their fans use.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Korten12 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I'm interested, but not enough to play something online on a console. I'll wait until the inevitable PC release.
Probably not, see currently the game will be on one server basically, so if they made it for PC aswell, they would have to make another server as PS3 and PC Players wouldn't be able to play with each other for obvious reasons.
I can't think of what those reasons would be. And anyway, them releasing it on PC as well would just be good business. No sense in splitting your player base. Most people who would be interested in Dust play Eve, so it makes sense for them to release on the same platform that their fans use.
Well for PC Players being able to beat PS3 players with M&K, even though the ps3 version does support M&K, not everyone is going to use it.

But the reason for it being on console isn't to appeal to the Eve Playerbase, they wanted to expand the universe to new platforms and they wanted to get into the console market.

So that's the real reason.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Korten12 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Well for PC Players being able to beat PS3 players with M&K, even though the ps3 version does support M&K, not everyone is going to use it.
Then that's their fault. If people have the ability to use either control scheme, then it isn't a problem.

But the reason for it being on console isn't to appeal to the Eve Playerbase, they wanted to expand the universe to new platforms and they wanted to get into the console market.

So that's the real reason.
Then that's bad reasoning. This is new IP for consoles, and new IP's generally do worse than established franchises. Following simple logic there means that more people would play it, given the choice, on a PC.

Even if they are trying to expand to other platforms, releasing it on PC isn't going to hurt that, it just gives them a larger audience.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
i think the reason it is ps3 only is this

EVE= PC

Dust 514 = PS3/consul

Eve Gate = Browser based info and communications

Eve- Dust- Eve gate- Eve (its one giant connected family)

They want eve to be their PC game for now. They probably dont want dust taking away from that.

Dust is going to be f2p. means No disk you need to buy. basically a client download from the psn.. which is probably why it will last. "oh new consul comes out" *redownloads client*for free.

Also with a free fps. yes many of the first ones who get it will be eve players. but slowly as people brows the market and see a fps similar to mw3 bf3 on the market they may try it out for a bit. i mean its free. no harm no foul. if they like it they will tell their friends. if their friends like it they'll spread the word as well. Dust will probably not be makeing as much money as any of the other fps games right from the start. no 60 dollars to buy the game wich means for every game downloaded. CCP gets nothing. The only thing they will start getting is mony paid for aurm. micro transaction. and with their system. its not Pay to win. everything is based on skill lvl. and skill lvls cannot be grinded. from what i saw in the presentation. in order to reach max lvl in all skills you would need 7 Years!

That is the thing about dust. Dont just think of it as another FPS. They are doing things the others arnt.

free to play: no instant profit for even makeing the game.

Clones: actually has a reason why people respawn and gives you actual limited ammount of lives you can lose in a match.

Not Pay to win: cant just buy the best gear from a store and give yourself an unfair advantage like other mmos.

Item loss upon death: Death still means something even in a game of immortals. the gear you equipped is lost and you would have to use another set of the same equipment or of different equipment. items are bought in bulk. If you arnt paying attention you might not have any equpement left to equip yourself with and thus lowers your chances to live though the mach with all your clones intact.

Customization: Unlike other fps. you can customize your stuff. i'm not talking adding a silencer and scope and putting cammo on your gun. i'm talking setting up your drop suit with the weapons you want. the type of armor/shields. electronics. from the looks of it. pretty much anything. i bet there would even be covert ops cloaks. you can skill in so many different ways. And you dont just customize your dropsuit. you can fit your Hav and gunship as well.

and the biggest reason of all

Cross platforming and cross genre: nothing like that has even been remotely attempted. yes there has been things with the same game cross platforming. a few times. but this is something different. direct connection with games of different types. from what i hear. bombardment is just one part of the impact it will have. taking over systems will no longer be just estabilshing soverenty. i think you would have to win conquests on dust in that system to do it as well. which willmake the battles that much more harder. i think with dust. the eve space battles will become larger. especially in aliance space. fleets protecting their ships who will be supporting their ground forces. enemy fleets trying to find and destory the supporting ships while bringing in their own support ships to help their own team. and if they make it soyou have to be in a certain area to bombard. that narrows the playing field even farther. all bunched in one single area. That will be fun.

also.. i hear there are plans that they will want to be able to have dust players go up to the station and interact directly with Eve players. When an fps can travel up and interact with an mmorpg(which eve wasnt much of an rpg with just the ships but when able to walk in stations. now we're talking) that right there.. is game changing. ONly thing missing is eve players ability to head down to the planet and go to cities and whatnot.... i would love to just walk around the gallente federation capital city.

but anyway. yeah. thats my thoughts on the matter. from information i've heard/read.

This is a big gamble for CCP. I hope it goes well. they have probably as big of a pair as president roden himself.. (read templar one..its a good book)

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
pffh said:
Elate said:
And this is why I stopped playing EVE. CCP making stupid decisions for their players, ok I understand they might not have had the money to work on this for PC, but PS3 exclusive? No. As people have stated, it's alienating the fanbase, as generally I'm going to assume that most people who have a Pc powerful enough to run EVE at max, probably don't have a PS3.

That and cash shop in an already Pay to play game, I mean really, that's a douche move.
The cash shop is for purely cosmetic items for your in station avatar that hardly anyone can even see right now. Besides you can buy a PLEX with in game currency and trade it for the points that you use to buy those clothes so you can get them without spending any extra real life money.
That isn't the point, a cash shop model, on top of a subscription model is down right insulting and money grabbing, and yeah trying to buy PLEX with in game money, that's fun if you're a casual player earning maybe 30 mil a month? Last time I checked a PLEX was in excess of 300 mil, I didn't have enough to actually use for my subscription costs.

My point here is, it sets a very bad precedent, having a subscription, and then having a cash shop on top of that. It has always been one or the other (Or the Guild Wars way, the best way)

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Elate said:
pffh said:
Elate said:
And this is why I stopped playing EVE. CCP making stupid decisions for their players, ok I understand they might not have had the money to work on this for PC, but PS3 exclusive? No. As people have stated, it's alienating the fanbase, as generally I'm going to assume that most people who have a Pc powerful enough to run EVE at max, probably don't have a PS3.

That and cash shop in an already Pay to play game, I mean really, that's a douche move.
The cash shop is for purely cosmetic items for your in station avatar that hardly anyone can even see right now. Besides you can buy a PLEX with in game currency and trade it for the points that you use to buy those clothes so you can get them without spending any extra real life money.
That isn't the point, a cash shop model, on top of a subscription model is down right insulting and money grabbing, and yeah trying to buy PLEX with in game money, that's fun if you're a casual player earning maybe 30 mil a month? Last time I checked a PLEX was in excess of 300 mil, I didn't have enough to actually use for my subscription costs.

My point here is, it sets a very bad precedent, having a subscription, and then having a cash shop on top of that. It has always been one or the other (Or the Guild Wars way, the best way)
Well if you're only earning 30mil per month then you are doing something wrong. I'm paying for my subscription solely through planetary management money and play maybe an hour a day on average and yet I have well over a hundred mil extra spending money each month.

This is not counting the cash I can get if I decide that I have the time for joining my corp in doing something that week. That money is usually upwards of few hundred millions on top of what I'm making on my own.