Dwarf Fortress succession game

Uncertain

Jan 26, 2009
I wonder if the original poster is coming back. One of us could start the game and give him his turn if/when he reappears, potentially. Depends on how long everyone is willing to wait.

Edit: better idea! Perhaps we should discuss our preferred starting conditions. At the moment I might be interested in starting on a glacier, although it occurs to me that might be more suicidal than it's worth considering our combined level of experience.

Would we prefer a more homely locale? The Cheerful Hills are nice this time of year.

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
Ah, conversation while we wait. Excellent idea.

Considering my inexperience with the game (i.e. I meant to learn how to play it, but then my computer died on me) I'd say someplace safe. A glacier would be cool, especially if we could build giant castles out of ice, but I believe mountains are traditional.

If we could find a volcano, that would be awesome.

DI7789

Aug 30, 2008
If I remember, in Dwarf Fortress, the more rules of Physics/Nature that you break, the better you are at playing

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
We need:
Mountains
ONE cat
Trees
A brook
And ropes.

Most dwarves will be complaining if they don't have a well.

Lim_Arcadia

Feb 5, 2009
Cats are easy to contain, just keep em in cages the moment their born. then slaughter them for food when needed. They also don't lag up the game when doing that either.

Might be interesting: It is possible to have a stable fortress without taking any starting supplies or skills.

Also: Do you guys want to make a record of the events like boatmurdered?

DI7789

Aug 30, 2008
[quote="Lim_Arcadia" post="362.83853.1326392Also: Do you guys want to make a record of the events like boatmurdered?[/quote]

I'm fine with that, just gotta figure out how screenshots work in DF...

Lim_Arcadia

Feb 5, 2009
I don't know how either, however I can just take a screenshot directly and cut out the extra parts in MS paint.

Note: I guess I'm signin up for this, just put me in the next available slot.

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
I'm just bumping this up by saying that I will just be one who tries to keep the fortress functioning in my turn. If only freshmanbuddyII would wake up and start this thing.

Uncertain

Jan 26, 2009
It's now been a month since he was last seen on this thread. Maybe he is dead.

I am thinking of posting a list of signed-up successors minus Freshman, so that whoever came second on his old list can just start the game. If he comes back, I assume he would probably be given a place.

Edit: here we have said list:

{freshmanbuddyII} [MIA]
Lemony
MeatSpace
(originally requested the second slot)
{The_Toe_Bighter98}
[may have only wanted to watch? I am not sure.]
Zemalac
DI7789
Uncertain
Omnidum
Lim_Arcadia
n3uro

So, between eight and ten. Assuming we do go along with this and begin the game, I'm not sure whom of Lemony and MeatSpace get to start the fortress. Also, I can't work out whether The_Toe_Bighter98 wanted to actually play or just watch.

n3uro

Feb 17, 2009
Hey guys.
Since my own gaming community ignorantly refused to learn the game and join me in a succession DF game, i stumbled upon this thread while looking for some chance to play one somewhere.
So here i am, but with a question: are you aware that there's a "graphic" (graphic tiles instead of ascii) version of df? in case you specifically chose to play the ascii horror, is it by any chance compatible with the graphic version?
I strongly believe that the graphical version allows for less stressful play and more attention to important details, such as fortress designing, bookkeeping, neater screenies and, well, more time to dedicate to elephant slaying.

I'll check the thread like mad so please, please answer soon. I have to play a df succession. :p

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
Yes, Ascii saves are compatable to Graphic games. And I think the elephants has been fixed.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
n3uro said:
I strongly believe that the graphical version allows for less stressful play and more attention to important details, such as fortress designing, bookkeeping, neater screenies and, well, more time to dedicate to elephant slaying.
Other than inducing passers by into thinking that the PC had crashed, I never had a problem with DF's ASCII. The keyboard layout, on the other hand, is a nightmare of brobdignagian proportions.

n3uro

Feb 17, 2009
that's quite great news, thanks.
So i'll just stick around until you guys tell me whether i can join the game or not.
Looking over the list, even if i'm a total stranger, i might suggest that starting two distinct games could be an option. Maybe some sort of competition, the players of the fort that dies last get a legendary artifact made of goblin skulls, maybe.
Just an idea to get an earlier turn for me, i guess. xD

edit for unseen previous post about ascii:
well i agree for the keyboard (but to me it's fairly ok, just change one or two binds and get used to the labyrintic menus and you're good to go), but the problem with the ascii version is more "estethical" than properly technical.
You could think that either symbol is the same for the human mind, but graphical version is a tad more immediate and pleasant to the eye.
Plus my housemates won't look at me in strange ways and whisper to each other like they're arranging to get me confined.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
I don't want to actually play in this succesion game(not confident enough with skills), but I want to see what happens in this game. In more blunt terms, hurry up, I want some Dorfy stories.

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
iain62a said:
I don't want to actually play in this succesion game(not confident enough with skills), but I want to see what happens in this game. In more blunt terms, hurry up, I want some Dorfy stories.
"Hey, Urist! Pull this lever!"

Uncertain

Jan 26, 2009
I have become used to the hotkeys now so I can play without the menu at the side, which is lovely. :D

I love one graphical version, I use it. I think there are multiple ones.

[http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm]

*adds n3uro to his list* n_n

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
n3uro said:
that's quite great news, thanks.
So i'll just stick around until you guys tell me whether i can join the game or not.
Looking over the list, even if i'm a total stranger, i might suggest that starting two distinct games could be an option. Maybe some sort of competition, the players of the fort that dies last get a legendary artifact made of goblin skulls, maybe.
Just an idea to get an earlier turn for me, i guess. xD

edit for unseen previous post about ascii:
well i agree for the keyboard (but to me it's fairly ok, just change one or two binds and get used to the labyrintic menus and you're good to go), but the problem with the ascii version is more "estethical" than properly technical.
You could think that either symbol is the same for the human mind, but graphical version is a tad more immediate and pleasant to the eye.
Plus my housemates won't look at me in strange ways and whisper to each other like they're arranging to get me confined.
Start your own succession thread, since this one clearly broke.