E for Everyone, Except Me

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Archon said:
Publisher Note 10: E for Everyone, Except Me

It's tough to be excited about E3 when the industry has passed you by.

Read Full Article
I know the feeling. I'm still waiting on Close Combat VI.

Though, this is exactly why I think the XBL arcade, and PSN are godsends. Companies don't have to pour a massive budget into arcade titles, so dev teams' risks are easier to swallow by publishers (or they can independently produce them). And so you get gems like Castle Crashers, I Maed a Game with Zombies in It, and Braid.

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
As a gamer, I've always looked for novelty in my gaming experience. The fresh control scheme of Katamari Damacy. The open-world sailing and island exploration of Windwaker. The atmosphere and scale of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

I haven't bought a game in over a year, because all I've seen is "go somewhere, shoot something" titles.

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Good article. I, too, miss when games were more targeted in their appeal. Even FPS games (Tribes, Team Fortress 1 for Quake, and System Shock or Deus Ex) were all niche titles with very specific appeals back then. Without the niche titles, their concepts would never have evolved.

Speaking of which, when do we get our next true MechWarrior sim game... :(

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think part of the problem also is that devs are too willing to abandon older styles of games, or at least publishers wont pay attention to devs that do work on older style of games, like people still like side scrollers, as the new super mario game and shadow complex really illustrated but we still only rarely see them pop up. Like look at castlevania, they are making a new 3d one with high end graphics and all that shit, you know what castlevania players really want? they want another side scroller but on a real system instead of more portable. And what the hell happened to shooters? I mean the space ship ones that used to be everywhere, why the hell did we stop making those?

I suppose my point is this, it seems like the industry is determined to make everything cost as much as possible instead of cutting back on normal mapping and giving a good pixel game again

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
ZephrC said:
Plus as those cursed casual gamers find out what they enjoy, some of them will even become niche gamers. Sure, there won't be enough to make small niche games profitable as big budget games, but they will start to make niche games a bit more viable.
Agreed. We can also help by getting these people into better games like Shamus Young said in another article I don't feel like finding right now. Here's a good example. How many of you have FaceBook friends that keep bugging you with those annoying Farmville messages? Do they also own a wii? Tell them they should get one of the Harvest Moon games. Give it to them as a birthday present it's not expensive. It's a farming game but it actually, has graphics, animations, characters, cute animals you an actually interact with, and a story so you actually care about why you're doing the menial farm chores. Seriously, what is the point of Farmville? Does it have a leader board? I can pretty much guarantee if they play harvest Moon they'll wonder why they ever wasted their time on Farmville.

You can ***** and moan and complain about "casuals" all you want. Or you can actually do something about it.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Yep, this sounds pretty much like me. Heck, I remember when the magazines covered CES and E3 didn't even exist.

Guess I can count myself in with the sabre(star?)-toothed tigers. E for Endangered indeed.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I would have to say I somewhat disagree with you. Right now I think a main issue is greed. Every developer wants the next Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2. Developers seem a bit scared to try new ideas and IP's, since it is safer to create a sequel to something people are already familiar with and have already invested money into.

Also, a point that I think you forgot to mention is the number of gamers there were over those periods. We have the best selling consoles of all time right now, there are new audiences appearing that just were not there 10 years ago. My mother, who is 60, who never touched a computer game in her life has recently started playing Farmville and now owns a Nintendo DS and has started playing games. This mass audience could mean that developers will start creating games for the 'niche' audiences. When you add millions of people to the customer base, you add the possibility that not all of them just want Wii Sports Resort 2.

I think that publishers and developers need to take a couple of mild risks and test the waters a bit. Heavy Rain was a start, let's see what happens over the next year or so.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
You only need to watch the credits for a recent AAA game to see that it simply can't be like books or music. There are just too many people involved, like in movie making.

The amount of people in game production is orders of magnitude more than the people involved in producing books at big publishing houses or records at big labels. So no, there's no way niche titles can have AAA production values.

But there's enough technology, know-how and talent around so that niche games can be made using technology from some years back. They can be quite pleasing graphically without being AAA.

So there are two options: make niche games with older technology, or make AAA blockbuster titles with the latest technology. Maybe there aren't more niche games with good production values, although using outdated technology, because they are usually targeted for PCs, and lots of people fear the piracy problem. But it's possible once digital distribution becomes more common.

I don't see a problem, really. I can still enjoy some good AAA games among the newest ones, and I can play indie games when I want something different. The industry must evolve, as any other, sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad ways. I think the nostalgia factor is strong too, just ask older people if they don't think old movies were better, or older anything were better than what's made today. We're just becoming nostalgic earlier.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Maybe we should return to N64-PS2 graphics, maybe with some modern game design applied to SNES style games ;D

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
This is so, so true. For me, I just want my niche RPGs, but because they're not very profitable, the releases for good games are far apart, and because the formula on the games has been labeled "dated", less and less developers are producing hardcore dungeon crawler RPGs other than Atlus.

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
Excellent article, going to be a shame when this power armored marine bubble busts and people have to start being creative again.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Dexiro said:
Maybe we should return to N64-PS2 graphics, maybe with some modern game design applied to SNES style games ;D
So the solution to "they don't make the games I like with cutting-edge technology anymore" is "no one shall have games made with cutting-edge technology anymore"?

(I know you weren't necessarily serious, but some people do say or imply this seriously as a "solution").

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Good article. I have longed for having good decent games and most is overrun with being shiny technology, 3d graphics and super realism like never before. And that simplity non games like Zynga and it's games that are basically copy and pasted versions of the same.

Almost every game that's mainstream I gave a sigh when I know there are better games than just the typical.

I concur with Therumancer on greed and he speaks out better than I can.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Archon said:
Publisher Note 10: E for Everyone, Except Me

It's tough to be excited about E3 when the industry has passed you by.

Read Full Article
The Video game industry has nobody but themselves to blame for their graphics fetish.

Nobody demanded that games look ultra hyper realistic. Game developers found that improving graphics was faster and took less research than improving actual game mechanics. They created the beast and are finding now that it never stops getting bigger.

So yeah. I'm with you, I 'still' play Master of Orion II, I have it from GOG and I can download it anywhere I get the hankering for it (love that service). UFO was one of those games that was so good it hurt my insides, it could be so difficult it was infuriating, but the sheer breadth of the game was something that infatuated me.

Unfortunately I didn't learn of Morrowind until well after Oblivion. So I can't say much about that. I may someday go back and play it.

In the end I suspect most game megacorporations are going to extend themselves to a point of non sustainability and they will collapse. New smaller innovative companies will take over, and this exact cycle that began in the 90's leading up to today will happen again with these small companies losing sight of what could truly make them money and eventually failing.

That's just my theory at least.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
tautologico said:
Dexiro said:
So the solution to "they don't make the games I like with cutting-edge technology anymore" is "no one shall have games made with cutting-edge technology anymore"?

(I know you weren't necessarily serious, but some people do say or imply this seriously as a "solution").
Isn't this exactly what nintendo chose to do with the Wii?
Granted, that's roughly gamecube level graphics, but essentially, if you're a Wii developer, you work with 'outdated' graphics.
And that was done intentionally by all accounts, since there's no actual reason why the Wii couldn't have been just as powerful as the 360/PS3...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Meh the industry pased me buy when they switched from making games for hobbyists and fans to drooling fan boys of the Xbox generation...then again the change over just ended there but really started in the PS2/N64/DC days.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
theultimateend said:
The Video game industry has nobody but themselves to blame for their graphics fetish.

Nobody demanded that games look ultra hyper realistic. Game developers found that improving graphics was faster and took less research than improving actual game mechanics. They created the beast and are finding now that it never stops getting bigger.
Uh, sorry but... nobody demanded better graphics? The industry was driven to get better and better graphics for no real reason?

It's an industry. Companies want to make money. If people didn't buy good graphics, the companies wouldn't go after them. What's all the fetish with Crysis then? Why did a lot of people criticize the Wii for not having the latest graphics?

You may not care about graphics, but a lot of people obviously do. (Not my exact case, though. I do like good graphics, but not over gameplay).

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
tautologico said:
Dexiro said:

Isn't this exactly what nintendo chose to do with the Wii?
Granted, that's roughly gamecube level graphics, but essentially, if you're a Wii developer, you work with 'outdated' graphics.
And that was done intentionally by all accounts, since there's no actual reason why the Wii couldn't have been just as powerful as the 360/PS3...
"Intentionally", yes, sure. I don't think Nintendo left the Wii with its current graphics capabilities by accident. "Ooops, we forgot to add some graphics chips!". The question is the reason for this. There are many possibilities.

Also I don't see the Wii catering to niche gamers.