E3 2010: Fable 3 Hands On

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Vierran said:
Can i die? it is really hard to care about any kind of mortal progression when dying does almost nothing.
God I hope so. Just give us like an Ironman option or something.

Will probably get the PC version in the hope that someone makes a hardmode mod. (There was one for fable 1, but installing mods into that game was a *****.)

Jun 13, 2009
I never really found the Fable 2 combat style switching to be all that bad. All it took was the touch of a different button to make the character switch styles. With a sword, pistol and fire spell set up I could easily switch between each seamlessly.

Am I the only one who didn't think it was a bad combat system?

Still looks good though, I just hope they don't try making it into a gritty and realistic action game. They seem like they're taking it very seriously, and part of the fun of Fable is that it's so incredibly light hearted in appearance even with such dark story telling.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
I really really like the sound of this.
I hated having to hold down about 3 buttons to prime an arrow, aim and hoard experience points.
The whole '2 cameras and split off' thing, I think might be good, especially if there's a really confusing area.

I will admit though, the magic menu wasn't that bad.
Yea, it was a bit confusing, but I got used to it really quickly (Mind you, I played for 5 hours straight)
Vierran said:
Can i die? it is really hard to care about any kind of mortal progression when dying does almost nothing.
God, I hated this boulder of irritation.
In the original, you could stockpile 9 potions on you, giving you 10 lives......
I used to sell them all, and go into a really difficult area to se how long I could go without losing enough health to leave.
Never left an area until it was totally emptied :) (Just goes to show how much I played, and how well I know the areas)

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Not gonna get it now, I really wish they had left the magic as it was from fable 1

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"If Fable 2 was an RPG with action elements".

I'm sorry, what?

OT: Totally uninterested after Fable 2 - before I bought it (for £20 - still too much) people were telling me it was better than Oblivion.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
Totally uninterested after Fable 2 - before I bought it (for £20 - still too much) people were telling me it was better than Oblivion.
People Lied.

And Agreed not interested. I enjoyed Fable1 but 2 just bored me after the first hour or so.

Also because I sold my xbox, that more the reason I'm not interested Truth be told =L

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
I adored fable 1, loathed that I couldn't play fable 2 because of its quite frankly idiotic exclusivity, so glad Fable 3 will be on PC aswell. As the tried and tested control method says, Keyboard + mouse trounces controllers without batting an eye.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
So...the Sanctuary...a 3D representation of the World Map, where you can walk around in and see what's where...why not go there in the real World Map...then you don't have to go there again if you like what you see in the Sanctuary...I don't get this concept...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I am really liking the look of Fable 3, I think my optimism about this once is not misplaced, where as on the second, I felt quite a few lingering doubts.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
I enjoyed Fable 2 far more than the first one, and I'm happy with playing a RPG-lite. Frankly, after work I play games to relax, not spend endless hours figuring out the stats of my elf archer with a +12 something something, that does +2 on great blobs of goo but only if ARGH!!

Fable has, for me, been always a charming and fun series that allowed to play a storybook style "once upon a time" game with a whole lot of camp thrown in. If part 3 actually deepens that game, even better, but just don't make it into a "proper" RPG.

Heck, even Mass Effect got better when they streamlined the tinkering and concentrated on the story.
Amen!
Fable 1 was good, but Fable 2, in my opinion, was a far more 'fun' experience. The only reason Fable 2 didn't hold me after I beat it, was the DLC took a bit too long to come out, and the Co-op was crap. PLus I think another block-buster game out shortly after I beat Fable 2, and I needed some extra cash to get it.

More on topic, this is looking pretty good. Everything they said was 'shit' I actually didn't have a problem with, but if they are making it better then it was then woo hoo! Can't complain! Especially if they pull off the Co-op! PLEASE let them have it be able to do split-screen. I know that's a lot to ask...but my wife enjoys the Fable games, and it's hard to get a game she likes and a game I like that we can play together!

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
I don't get the premise behind the plot?

So your brother is king, and he's a dick. Fine I get that but why go and amass a rebellion against him? Why not just sneak into his bedroom when he's asleep and stab him in the face?

No more evil king, take his place and do what you want.

And what if I want to play an evil character? Doesn't it seem a bit odd that some hulking monster with horns sneaks out of his castle to get some friends so he/she can depose his/her tyrant brother?

It's like the crappyness of the second one, why did I spend 10 years in a prison when 5 minutes after arriving Evil McNasty was standing in front of me? Why couldn't I kill Reaver?

Sure Fable gives you choice over the stupid little details like what books to put on a book case in some house I'll probably never go in again, but what about proper choice that effects the out come of the game?

Still I will end up buying it, probably in a sale, as for some reason I am a sucker for Fable.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This one is shaping up to be good. I saw an IGN hands-on for it and althought it looked almost identical to Fable II, there were a lot of cool things they showed off. I don't know if being unable to pause indefinately will piss me off or not though.

spectrenihlus said:
So what happens if you mix time control and lightning?
Supah fast lightning! Either that, or you teleport behind your opponent before you did it.