E3 2010: MGS: Rising Introduces Brutal Watermelon Slicing

Mar 26, 2008
Jumplion said:
This trailer honestly scared me. Now, MGS: Rising can be a great game and disprove me, I'll admit. But from what I've seen it's all of a sudden taken this gorey tone that I've never seen in any MGS game. It's oddly and disturbingly violent for an MGS game which leads me to believe that they're only doing that to appeal to the "mainstream" audience *cough360cough*.

I could be wrong though, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't interested. It's just a little weird to see a relatively tame game turn into a Ninja Gaiden copy cat.

[sup]Though I've only played MGS4 honestly, so fuck if I know what I'm talking about.[/sup]
I kind of agree with you actually and I AM part of the 360 audience!

That said I think it is merely a "grab" trailer to reel you in with some action. Let's put it this way, if all I saw for the new trailer was some lengthy, tradition MGS-style exposition I would be somewhat less impressed.
I'm guessing (re: hoping) that we'll get a more rounded picture in trailers to come. Mind you I do like a good action game and this looks the shit!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Ok people look, just wait and see until we get PLOT details. If the plot sucks, then im going to give this game a miss. Depending on the plot and focus of the story, the absence of stealth might be appropriate. Hell, for all we know there could still be stealth and what we were shown was infact the ALERT phases, and this seems more to be advertising the actual combat aspects of the game. Until we see more people, reserve judgements.

Zenode said:
20 bucks says this wont be allowed in Australia
Oh, i'll make sure it IS allowed. If not, i'll show these attourney generals how well Risings slash mechanics work in real life! xD

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Jumplion said:
This trailer honestly scared me. Now, MGS: Rising can be a great game and disprove me, I'll admit. But from what I've seen it's all of a sudden taken this gorey tone that I've never seen in any MGS game. It's oddly and disturbingly violent for an MGS game which leads me to believe that they're only doing that to appeal to the "mainstream" audience *cough360cough*.

I could be wrong though, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't interested. It's just a little weird to see a relatively tame game turn into a Ninja Gaiden copy cat.

[sup]Though I've only played MGS4 honestly, so fuck if I know what I'm talking about.[/sup]
I kind of agree with you actually and I AM part of the 360 audience!

That said I think it is merely a "grab" trailer to reel you in with some action. Let's put it this way, if all I saw for the new trailer was some lengthy, tradition MGS-style exposition I would be somewhat less impressed.
I'm guessing (re: hoping) that we'll get a more rounded picture in trailers to come. Mind you I do like a good action game and this looks the shit!
It looks like all the veteran MGS players are scared of this game and all the people that never played an MGS game highly approve this.

Personally I've only really played MGS4, which I thought was fantastic. This game does look pretty interesting, but the lack of Kojima's involvement really shows. It's not a "Metal Gear Sold" game without Solid Snake, is it?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
It looks like all the veteran MGS players are scared of this game and all the people that never played an MGS game highly approve this.

Personally I've only really played MGS4, which I thought was fantastic. This game does look pretty interesting, but the lack of Kojima's involvement really shows. It's not a "Metal Gear Sold" game without Solid Snake, is it?
Speaking as a veteran MGS player who is coworkers with veteran MGS players, and given that we're all actually excited for this game...you're wrong. Hell I'm surprised that I liked the trailer for this. But I did. Know why? Because it's letting us play as a Cyborg Ninja who cuts the living shit out of everything. Fuck stealth, I wanna drop building parts on people. Violence? Oh please, this is nothing worse than when MGS4 introduced the Beauty and the Beast forces or when in Twin Snakes the original Cyborg Ninja went completely apeshit on a squad of genome soldier. Also I have to take issue with your "mainstream" comment. Are you seriously going to say that the 360 is "mainstream" while the PS3 is...i dunno "Maverick"? Not bloody likely.

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
Wow, the people who are mad or unimpressed need to let go and just enjoy it. You know the long cutscenes will be there, you know the intricate storyline will be there, and you know you can cut s**t up.

Even if you still aren't impressed, just picture this as not a Metal Gear game, but Raiden Rising.

MGS4 is on my Top 10 greatest games of all time list, and this is a must buy for me. It is definitely looking like Afro Samurai had a baby MGS. The physics look intriguing and the graphics seem to be looking on par with MGS4, which is good.

The watermelons will feel the wrath of my blade!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Speaking as a veteran MGS player who is coworkers with veteran MGS players, and given that we're all actually excited for this game...you're wrong.
I didn't say every MGS veteran, just saying that I noticed a little trend. Many people who said that they've never played an MGS game said "HoLy CrAp It'S nOw AwSuM!"

Hell I'm surprised that I liked the trailer for this. But I did. Know why? Because it's letting us play as a Cyborg Ninja who cuts the living shit out of everything.
Well then, there's Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta... Metal Gear Solid games are not about that. Maybe if it's just a "Metal Gear" game or whatever then sure I suppose. But then, I'm just splitting hairs in the naming.

Fuck stealth, I wanna drop building parts on people. Violence? Oh please, this is nothing worse than when MGS4 introduced the Beauty and the Beast forces or when in Twin Snakes the original Cyborg Ninja went completely apeshit on a squad of genome soldier.
If you don't want stealth, don't play an MGS game. Trust me, there are plenty of games that let you do this kind of thing. It just seems odd to me that MGS (at least this one) is going that route. The worst violence of this kind I can remember is Raiden de-legging the mobile moo-cow things, and that was nothing.

And as far as I remember with MGS4, the amount of violence leveled to blood splashing with weapons and such. I don't remember anyone being cut in half from head to groin. That kind of violence I've never really seen in any MGS game to my knowledge and is more akin to Ninja Gaiden, which does worry me.

Also I have to take issue with your "mainstream" comment. Are you seriously going to say that the 360 is "mainstream" while the PS3 is...i dunno "Maverick"? Not bloody likely.
Well...isn't it? I dunno, after a billion and one people saying "PS3 has the least install base, ther-eh-for developers must go multiplatform to turn in a profit!" and the fact that people always associate the 360 with the more "hardcore-mainstream"-gray n' brown shooters-testosterone filled-blood filling your screen-games console, it's kind of hard to not think that the more "mainstreame" audience had something to do with the fact that Raiden just chopped a guy's arm, then his spine, in half, ripped out his spinal cord, crushed it in a splash of white....sperm?, then proceeds to decapitate another soldier with blood gushing out, chop up another soldier in mid air 3 times, and then chops up [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtM3PGyiQUc] *GASP* a watermelon! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking]

Now, don't get me wrong, that sounds kick. ass. And honestly, if it were any other game, I'd be pretty psyched for this. But this is being touted as a Metal Gear Solid game, and Kojima's lack of involvement shows. Say what you will about Kojima, he leaves a certain charm in his games. He would have made you chop up an entire fruit stand.

This doesn't mean that I will not give this game a chance. I'll leave my full opinion of the game when I actually get my hands on it. But I really can't shake the feeling that this isn't really a Metal Gear Solid game. More of a Metal Gear Raiden game.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Technocrat said:
They started suffixing the "Solid" on to the titles of the games after the first PS1 game, because of the move to 3D and polygons - hence solid. Snake's presence didn't make the first three games in the series "Solid"!
No, it's solid because you learn that Solid Snake is one of three clones in Metal Gear Solid,(Solid, Liquid, and Solidus).
Kojima retitled the game Metal Gear Solid, choosing this over the working title Metal Gear 3. This was due to the fact that he believed that the first two MSX2 games in the series were not very well known.[39] He used the word 'Solid' which was chosen due to the game being the third installment in the series, and because it uses 3D computer graphics.[40] Sequels to this game also use the Metal Gear Solid title, and follow a new numeral progression.

(Wikipedia: "Metal Gear Solid")

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
it is kind of sad that the watermelon slicing gag at the end of one of the trailers is one of the best parts of that entire conference.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Technocrat said:
They started suffixing the "Solid" on to the titles of the games after the first PS1 game, because of the move to 3D and polygons - hence solid. Snake's presence didn't make the first three games in the series "Solid"!
No, it's solid because you learn that Solid Snake is one of three clones in Metal Gear Solid,(Solid, Liquid, and Solidus).
Allow me to point you towards:

Kojima retitled the game Metal Gear Solid, choosing this over the working title Metal Gear 3. This was due to the fact that he believed that the first two MSX2 games in the series were not very well known.[39] He used the word 'Solid' which was chosen due to the game being the third installment in the series, and because it uses 3D computer graphics.[40] Sequels to this game also use the Metal Gear Solid title, and follow a new numeral progression.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid)

Daft Sikes

Jun 10, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Die die pathetic PMCs!
Anyway, looking forward to it. Dissappointed at the lack of any stealth, though.