E3 2010: Nintendo Formally Reveals Its 3DS, Kid Icarus

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Ben Legend said:
Oh for Flippers sake. How many DS variants are they going to release? DS, DS Lite, DS XL, DSi, 3DS, 3DS Lite, 3DS console, 3DS with waffle maker... the latter probably won't happen anytime soon, sorry for building up your hopes.
This is a jaw-droppingly stupid comment.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Onionman said:
Tom Phoenix said:
sephiroth1991 said:
elvor0 said:
sephiroth1991 said:
So how many DS have there been now.

OT:I can't see any visual diffrence it's like they stuck a diffrent brand on to a exsisting product and are re-selling it. Oh wait the analog stick.
It's a code name, it is actually the next generation handheld, not a DS revision.. AND it offically as powerful as a gamecube, but if rumors are to be believed it's almost as powerful as current gen consoles, personally Imma say it'll end up being more powerful than the PSP at least. We shall see
So the name is a lie and the picture is a lie, but if its as powerful as a gamecube. I may raise my eyebrow. Isn't the PSP at the level of a Ps2 so wouldn't it be stronger anyway if its at the level of a gamecube.
Actually, the Gamecube was the most technologically advanced console of it's generation. So assuming that it is as powerful as a GameCube, that puts it ahead of the PSP.
Well anyways I guess it doesn't matter how powerful the handheld console is. Just like the Gamecube and PSP, both were the most powerful "consoles" in their field during their generation, but both lost to its competitors. Maybe this trend is trying to tell us something.

Also I am concerned how this may be a useless upgrade considering that the DSi is capable of using panoramic 3D technology without the use of 3d-glasses. Two 3d games were already released in japan for the DSi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAg1s7xfz0
It is true that a technologically advanced console doesn't necessarilly mean a successful one. But keep in mind that one of the primary reasons the GameCube and PSP failed was beacuse of the lack of third-party support. In GameCube's case, it also didn't help that Nintendo was coming off a bad momentum it had due to the failure of Nintendo 64. This clearly isn't the case here, considering how many third-party developers are already supporting the 3DS.

As for those two DSi games, that is quite impressive. But considering that both of those seem to have rather simple gameplay, I have to wonder if it actually makes full use of the technology. Afterall, having one room in 3D isn't really as impressive as having a vast open world with a character running around in 3D. Plus, the 3DS has the advantage of providing the actual option of whether or not someone wants to use 3D, whereas it seems to me that 3D is the only option in the DSi games demonstrated.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Xanthious said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Xanthious said:
Oh Nintendo when will you do away with the terrible gimmicks and just focus on quality games.
Are you kidding me? Discarding the 3D aspect, it's a portable Wii! Plus the line-up of games (MGS, Resi Evil, Street Fighter, Kingdom Hearts etc.) and Kid f*cking Icarus means that they not only focused on quality games, but what they and the rest of the industry considers innovation as well. If this "gimmick" is anything like the Wii, it'll sell millions and be hugely successful.

You should have just watched the keynote, trust me you wouldn't have said that if you did.
It wouldn't matter if I watched the keynote or if Miyamoto was standing in my living room explaining it to me while he rubbed my feet. The fact of the matter is that pure quality gaming without any bad gimmicks will ALWAYS win out over the current flavor of the month gimmick. It doesn't matter if it's a glove, a robot, a rubber mat you run in place on or a freaking bazooka, gimmicks typically don't work when it comes to video games. Even the Wii, while financially successful, is shunned largely by most actual gamers because it's a Gamecube with a bad gimmick.
The fact that motion controls have worked in games past and present means that it's not a gimmick, if your words are anything to go by. And there are quite a few motion controlled games that have been touted to work by people who are paid to tell us if it doesn't.

There's a difference between gimmick and innovation. Your competitors copying your tech means it's an innovation, or they wouldn't have bothered and instead would have watched you crash and burn. Simple.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Jeronus said:
Zenode said:
I watched the press conference online

I am extremely Jealous all of you at the conference got a 1 on 1 with very lovely looking ladies.....goddamn it

other things i noticed
- Miyamoto fails at gaming XD
- That wireless can someone interfere with the wii
- Nintendo should be called "The gaming recycler"

but what i find funny is how the heck that 3D is gonna work on a 3.5 INCH SCREEN....its not a laptop for god sakes
I can't believe you said Miyamoto fails at gaming. Are you living in an alternate dimension and your post just happen to cross into this dimension?

OT:Seriously, give Miyamoto some credit. Anyway, Nintendo does recycle but people act as if everything they recycle is trash. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Anyway Nintendo isn't focused on creating new ips but changing the way we game as a whole with motion controls and touchscreen. The new stuff which most gamers complain about.
Well, he doesn't fail at MAKING games thats for sure, but if you watched the press conference you would have seen that he wasn't exactly good at playing the new zelda game. Watching him trying to hit spiders with the sling shot was possibly the funniest thing i have seen all year.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Why is it that amidst all the possible "grown up" systems (PC, PS3, 360, PSP), I'm more excited about NINTENDO'S lineup than the others?

What sort of a backwards world am I living in now?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Hmmmm. This is looking awesome. Backwards compatibility is good news, I was considering getting a new DS since my touchscreen seems irreparably uncalibrated... Now I think I'll just wait for the 3DS.
New hardware sounds good, hopefully they'll put some power into it so it has good processing power, and pretty graphics are always nice.
Also, does anyone believe Apple can best Nintendo in the handheld market after this? This looks awesome, and I shall be getting one...
EDIT: Yeah, just went link hopping. The 3DS certainly looks very pretty...

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Suskie said:
Ben Legend said:
Oh for Flippers sake. How many DS variants are they going to release? DS, DS Lite, DS XL, DSi, 3DS, 3DS Lite, 3DS console, 3DS with waffle maker... the latter probably won't happen anytime soon, sorry for building up your hopes.
This is a jaw-droppingly stupid comment.
Nothing stupid about a waffle maker in a games console!

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
tehannihalator said:
Saints row WHY is it on the ds. sandbox games are hard to control with only one analogue stick.don't waste your time on a handheld and make saints row3
Well the 3DS does have something that the PSP does not: a touch screen. Personally I find the touch screen a lot better for FPS or over-the-shoulder games because it is closest to the mouse and keyboard.

I know the positioning will be a bit wonky but I'm betting that somehow the touch screen cold be used to replace the 2nd analog stick that the PSP sorely missed.

I only hope that the hardware for the 3DS will be a lot better than the PSP. The biggest weakness of the original DS is the hardware and game cartridge limitations, which forced some really fantastic games to be excruciatingly short. The last thing we need is the DS to only be on par with a previous-gen console.

Sigh... it will be hard saying goodbye to my Fat DS, which has remained operational and loyal for over 5 years.

iBlooba

Jun 17, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
This is when Nintendo annoy me. Because soon the comments about how much more original they are flow in, despite the 3DS simply being a DS with the things its competitors have added on. What's unique about the PSP? Analogue stick. Well shove one on the DS, rename it and pretend its a new idea, the slide pad. What's good about games on iTouch? Motion and touch combined, well shove motion into it.
And with Kid Icarus returning that puts Nintendo's active IP count to what? 4?
Hardly any consoles are that much more original than their previous competition. And how many exclusive IPs are there for the PS3 and 360? EXCLUSIVE? Seriously the PS3 and 360 annoy me for putting motion control into their consoles.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
iBlooba said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
This is when Nintendo annoy me. Because soon the comments about how much more original they are flow in, despite the 3DS simply being a DS with the things its competitors have added on. What's unique about the PSP? Analogue stick. Well shove one on the DS, rename it and pretend its a new idea, the slide pad. What's good about games on iTouch? Motion and touch combined, well shove motion into it.
Hardly any consoles are that much more original than their previous competition. And how many exclusive IPs are there for the PS3 and 360? EXCLUSIVE? Seriously the PS3 and 360 annoy me for putting motion control into their consoles.
PlayStation exclusive IPs - Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, ModNation Racers, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, LocoRoco (it may seem like I'm scraping the barrel by this point but seriously, that series is amazing), everything made by thatgamecompany besides Cloud, Super Stardust HD.
I'll admit we don't need motion controls for PS3, but there's no denying the list of franchises. That's not even counting games I don't like such as EyePet and SingStar.

iBlooba

Jun 17, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
iBlooba said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
PlayStation exclusive IPs - Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, ModNation Racers, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, LocoRoco (it may seem like I'm scraping the barrel by this point but seriously, that series is amazing), everything made by thatgamecompany besides Cloud, Super Stardust HD.
I'll admit we don't need motion controls for PS3, but there's no denying the list of franchises. That's not even counting games I don't like such as EyePet and SingStar.
Okay? And there's alot of exclusive Nintendo IPs, too. Maybe not as much but the big Nintendo IPs have been more successful than most other consoles :p

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
iBlooba said:
Okay? And there's alot of exclusive Nintendo IPs, too. Maybe not as much but the big Nintendo IPs have been more successful than most other consoles :p
Yeah that's a fair point. I think they could use them better though, Star Fox 64 3D isn't as exciting as an actually new entry to the series for example. But anyway, this is why we have a choice of system after all. Sorry if I came across as needlessly aggressive before.

iBlooba

Jun 17, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
iBlooba said:
Yeah that's a fair point. I think they could use them better though, Star Fox 64 3D isn't as exciting as an actually new entry to the series for example. But anyway, this is why we have a choice of system after all. Sorry if I came across as needlessly aggressive before.
Don't get me wrong, I love PS3 and PC just as much as the next guy. But hearing the Wii get bashed all the time gets tiring. I know that wasn't your intention, though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I have a system for purchasing new game systems.

The main requirements:
-Minimum of 4 Games worth owning
-Decent hardware

So far, the 3DS has 2 games. Kid Icarus might make that 3.

Surprising, considering it's Nintendo. I mean, to date I don't even have that many on the Wii.