E3 2010: Valve Goes PS3 With Portal 2

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
My faith in humanity is almost restored. Almost.
On that note, HL3 would be nice Valve, but I'm happy to wait after this.

aaronx83

Dec 18, 2009
Valve are smart people
BTW what happened to valves surprise, was it this because if it is then im completely dissapointed

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Pandora92 said:
Called it! :D

It doesn't really affect me anyway but I think the Steam support for PS3 sounds interesting, I'm sure he said Steam Cloud support for saves along with the auto-updates, I wonder if that means you can move saves between PC and PS3? :eek:
It's true, he did call it.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
John Funk said:
Steam is coming to the PlayStation Network, with cross-platform chat.
Makes me GLaD I put off buying TF2 on the PC (since I have Orange Box on PS3).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
HOLY SHIT GUYS! I heard Valve will be releasing the sequel to one of its most popular games on one of the two core gaming consoles currently on the market!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Man, that was TOTALLY worth all the hype. They might as well just pack up E3 now and head home. We've peaked. It's all downhill from here.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So the PS3 gets Valve love before the 360?

*sigh* We don't want much, just for Team Fortress 2 to be playable Mr. Newell.

Oh well, stiffed again.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Dyp100 said:
Oh look, a developer screwing over a certian console.

Fuck you Valve, I was too stupid to finish Portal anyway.

Seriously, why do people do this? ESPECIALLY VALVE, I did not see this. They're sneaky, but I've lost a bit of respect for them now
I read your post several times and I still don't know what the hell you're getting at.

Screwing over a certain console? Sneakiness? Lost of respect? What?

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
They're releasing a sequel to a game on every platform that the original game was released for?

Wow... shocker...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
HEY GUYS! I just realized they dropped a huge hint about this last week. Their excuse for delaying Portal 2 was that "making games is hard." Isn't that the same thing Gabe said about developing for the PS3? Or at least how all the pissed-off PS3 owners paraphrased it?

Also, someone check to see if there were any hints we missed in their ARG. I'm sure they must have stuck a vague reference to it in there somewhere.

ColdStorage said:
Gabes standards are much like any business standard, when the production for a logiceil becomes economically viable, make a service for it and you make money.

In real world terms, I had a friend that was fat and ugly and she wanted to get in my pants, I turned her down because I thought she was fat and ugly....*3 years later*
after a work out and make over said friend is stunning, now the tables are turned and I want to get in her pants.

I also may or may not want to install some form of DRM in her pants that disallows any "foreign" material from entering said pants, on the up side the pants have a great social group.

At least her pants arent made by Ubisoft though.
Excellent use of the Metaphorgotten [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metaphorgotten] there, btw.

megapenguinx said:
I wonder if this means that they will finally update the PS3 version of Orange Box to be somewhat playable....
If they did, it would only be an "update" in a very loose sense. We're working with a whole different engine, essentially: EA's crappy Source port vs. the native port Valve is making. So the only thing that would still be on the disc is the maps, and those all need updated too, anyway. More likely they'll just rerelease the whole thing on their PS3 Steam store and if you have the disc in the drive, you can get it for free or nearly free.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Slowly but surely, Gabe will win the hearts and minds of everyone and then when the election for Supreme Overlord of Earth is upon us...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
John Funk said:
SaintWaldo said:
I knew O'l Gabe could find room for some crow.
I was going to make a joke, but I decided not to out of respect for the man. Besides, we were all thinking it.
If you ever want to get rid of that pesky respect, I have a few remedies. ;)

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Pandora92 said:
AngryMongoose said:
"You guys are dicks, and your console sucks. You don't deserver to buy our games, go have fun with Gran Turismo: Forever or something. Incidentally, care to buy Portal 2?"
Then don't buy it rofl, I never get the attitude that publishers need to be "entitled" to sell you their games, either buy them or don't.

Also Portal 2 IS still coming out for the 360, I don't get why people think it suddenly isn't, they just wont get Steam support rofl, which might be something to do with Microsoft's more restrictive policies about their online usage.

Oh and the reason for doing this NOW is (apart from the obvious financial benefits) with the release of the Source games for Mac, Valve had to port all the Source games to work perfectly with OpenGL anyway, which was always the problem before with PS3 support.
I don't actually own a PS3, and I'll be getting the PC versioin of Portal2. I just think this sudden turnaround is strange, and will be a PR nightmare.