E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

So this is some apparent artwork for these pixel remasters, and frankly I don't understand this at all. The new sprites look like ass, the colors are so dull and I can't figure out why. In the original sprite things are vibrate and distinct (if a little blurry), and I dont understand the color changes. Why not just sharpen up the original sprites to clean them up. Instead they change the color and even the shape of the characters and it simply doesn't look at good.
Still FAR better then the character sprites used for Final Fantasy 5 and 6 in their initial mobile ports

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

So this is some apparent artwork for these pixel remasters, and frankly I don't understand this at all. The new sprites look like ass, the colors are so dull and I can't figure out why. In the original sprite things are vibrate and distinct (if a little blurry), and I dont understand the color changes. Why not just sharpen up the original sprites to clean them up. Instead they change the color and even the shape of the characters and it simply doesn't look at good.
Original Art; Actual Pixel Sprite Art
New; Pixel Art with a Blurry Filter

Guess I'll be sticking to the originals.

Shame how modern day developers always blur their pixel art.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Original Art; Actual Pixel Sprite Art
New; Pixel Art with a Blurry Filter

Guess I'll be sticking to the originals.

Shame how modern day developers always blur their pixel art.
Really now? Come on, its not that bad looking.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
One thing I can confirm is that at least the game's interface is not gonna look like those awful Mobile ports of 5 and 6

How Pixel Remaster looks like (I had to zoom in during the trailer's "slide show" of the gameplay so forgive the blurry effect)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Halo Infinite's story looks cool, not that I'll ever play it. The Chief finally has a chance to be an actual character, now that he has to play the mentor to some rookie AI. I appreciated how he stopped to check on all the marines that died.

The Guardians game looks pretty much exactly like the Avengers game, but more colorful and more quips. So basically like the movie. I'm not particularly interested in it for some reason. I guess I'm a little tired of Marvel games that look like the MCU with the graphics set to low.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Really now? Come on, its not that bad looking.
It's not great looking to be fair either. Now there is a chance that these sprite do end up looking better when placed in their respective updated worlds, but I dunno about that. Why not just copy the PSP ports? Those were updated and looked great, I dunno why they fuck with things for no reason.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It's not great looking to be fair either. Now there is a chance that these sprite do end up looking better when placed in their respective updated worlds, but I dunno about that. Why not just copy the PSP ports? Those were updated and looked great, I dunno why they fuck with things for no reason.
If I had to guess, they want all the games to have a consistent "Retro" look.

That's why the Fighter in FF 1 looks similar to a FF 4 character and such.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If I had to guess, they want all the games to have a consistent "Retro" look.

That's why the Fighter in FF 1 looks similar to a FF 4 character and such.
It's possible. Maybe to make the ports easy to package they put them all onto the same engine. I still don't like it though, it's a distinct downgrade from the originals yet still an upgrade from the mobile versions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Halo Infinite's story looks cool, not that I'll ever play it. The Chief finally has a chance to be an actual character, now that he has to play the mentor to some rookie AI. I appreciated how he stopped to check on all the marines that died.

The Guardians game looks pretty much exactly like the Avengers game, but more colorful and more quips. So basically like the movie. I'm not particularly interested in it for some reason. I guess I'm a little tired of Marvel games that look like the MCU with the graphics set to low.
Exactly. At least the Arkham and Spider-Man games do something to set themselves apart and have unique and distinct to look. Even Ultimate Alliance 3 achieve this. Square enix basically killed their game, cuz no one's going to want to stream it with all the licensed music on twitch or youtube. Copyright strike nightmare and a whole bunch of channels shut downs. The only way this work is if you streamed it on Dailymotion.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Can they really "save" E3 when they've been in their own little corner for what, 5 or 6 years now? There is no saving E3 and I don't exactly see that as a bad thing.
Yes. Just put in BOTW2, a new Fire Emblem and a new Kid Icarus game. Then E3's saved for sure.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It's possible. Maybe to make the ports easy to package they put them all onto the same engine. I still don't like it though, it's a distinct downgrade from the originals yet still an upgrade from the mobile versions.
I am still hoping for a Nintendo Switch release down the line.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
They are doing Halo Infinite multiplayer overview right now.

I mean it's fine as a game, but the look doesn't feel.... halo? Like, the older gamers had the dark and gritty aesthetic, but starting with Halo 4 it started to get more colorful and vibrant. Also, the blood that used to splatter all over floors and walls are no longer present.

They are talking about customizations on vehicles, armors, etc. It sounds like one big mtx to me

There will be purchasable battle pass, which you can buy even in future seasons, but I do hope they don't go overboard with this

It will be F2P. and that usually screams P2W or lack of quality of the game.

IDK, this might be the first halo game that I pass

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

I mean it's fine as a game, but the look doesn't feel.... halo? Like, the older gamers had the dark and gritty aesthetic, but starting with Halo 4 it started to get more colorful and vibrant. Also, the blood that used to splatter all over floors and walls are no longer present.

They are talking about customizations on vehicles, armors, etc. It sounds like one big mtx to me

There will be purchasable battle pass, which you can buy even in future seasons, but I do hope they don't go overboard with this

I don't really see the problem? Reach was the one that went gritty. The Halos 1-3 were pretty colourful and vibrant. I always went with a garishly pink Spartan in H1-3, and I was kinda annoyed at how muted the colours got in Reach.

Since it's F2P, the MTXes are kinda to be expected. I like that bought battle passes stay around, not that I'll be buying much if any. But from what I know about BPs from other games, you only have a certain amount of time to play and unlock everything on it even after paying money for the damn things, which is insane to me. Also no lootboxes so it's already better than a lot of things. They already said it's just cosmetics stuff so I don't see how you're interpreting it as P2W just because it's F2P.

Most of the new big multiplayer hits are F2P anyway. Valorant, Apex, Warzone, whatever. If they want to compete and keep the game going in the MP space for more than just a small fanbase, I think it makes sense.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think this is just the natural state of things to be honest.

Back on the Xbox, the darker colors were used to keep performance healthy on that machine. Limited graphical power made it easier for dark colors to be used to hide draw distances and pop-ins.

As systems and computers got more powerful, they obviously don't have this limitation anymore. Letting them use more real colors rather than muted colors. I get that people liked the older style better, but the more vibrant graphics is probably truer to the original intention for the games tbh. It's not like Halo was ever Silent Hill.

That being said, Halo Infinite continues to look mediocre at best and ass at worse. Plus the business model for it seems stupid and greedy so I'll never touch it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am still hoping for a Nintendo Switch release down the line.
I'm hoping for anything other than mobile and steam. That's a fucking dumbass choice if i ever saw one. Like how hard would it be to port them to Ps4 and Xbox? Besides if they put them on Ps4 at very least, i think that would make it the first time ever that the entire mainline series could be played on the same console.....Oh wait that would leave out 13......Well that one doesn't matter anyway.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I don't really see the problem? Reach was the one that went gritty. The Halos 1-3 were pretty colourful and vibrant. I always went with a garishly pink Spartan in H1-3, and I was kinda annoyed at how muted the colours got in Reach.

Since it's F2P, the MTXes are kinda to be expected. I like that bought battle passes stay around, not that I'll be buying much if any. But from what I know about BPs from other games, you only have a certain amount of time to play and unlock everything on it even after paying money for the damn things, which is insane to me. Also no lootboxes so it's already better than a lot of things. They already said it's just cosmetics stuff so I don't see how you're interpreting it as P2W just because it's F2P.

Most of the new big multiplayer hits are F2P anyway. Valorant, Apex, Warzone, whatever. If they want to compete and keep the game going in the MP space for more than just a small fanbase, I think it makes sense.
Wow, I never thought of it that way. Thx for sharing your insight

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

You know, I think Halo Infinite actually fixes Battle Passes, for me.

Honestly, in terms of shitty microtransaction schemes, Battle Passes have always come dead last, for me.

At least with lootboxes, outside of seasonal events, everything is up for grabs, always. With Battle Passes, they are pretty much the embodiment of FOMO. You can only buy them for a certain time. You can only play them for a certain time. And if you miss something because the pass expires, then tough luck to you.

As someone who isn't morally opposed to microtransactions in F2P games, but as someone who doesn't like it when I feel like I have to play a certain game, or doesn't always have the time to play games, this is actually really cool quality of life change that actually makes Battle Passes seem worth it.

(Also no, there wont be any P2W premium items, as far as they have shown/told us - everything is cosmetic only)

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes. Just put in BOTW2, a new Fire Emblem and a new Kid Icarus game. Then E3's saved for sure.
That's a new one been out already for a couple years now in Fire Emblems case. A new one this soon doesn't make that much sense. We might see something for a Breath Of The Wild 2, but don't hold your breath. Did icarus, the best you're going to get is probably just an advance Port of the 3DS game. I'm still waiting on Platinum & Nintendo for Bayonetta 3. It got announced back in the summer of 2017 during the game awards and still nothing. Corona screwed that up so I'm not even expecting it to be there. I'm hoping but I'm not holding out for it. I have a feeling that Nintendo's not going to reveal anything too big. And even if they revealed all that stuff, that doesn't exactly save E3. What the hell does "saving" E3 even mean at this point? Hell, even back then what did it mean? I feel the only reason people use that, is so they can justify not having their time wasted by one or few good reveals, all the others were crappy or mediocre. I'm not saying that to you in this case, but that's how it seems to me whenever that phrase is used. People justifying how they didn't waste their time or that waste of time was just for this one or two things. It's why I've been avoiding most of these events. Time wasters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Everyone bookmark this post if you care about capcom. Their event starts in another 4 hours.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

This is a redesign based around readability. League of Legends had a huge texture update years ago that did the same thing where they removed lots of little details on their map and champions because most of it just became noise when looked at from far away or in motion. I would say these new sprites are much better because they keep the defining aspects of the character's looks and remove noise.