E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

So this is some apparent artwork for these pixel remasters, and frankly I don't understand this at all. The new sprites look like ass, the colors are so dull and I can't figure out why. In the original sprite things are vibrate and distinct (if a little blurry), and I dont understand the color changes. Why not just sharpen up the original sprites to clean them up. Instead they change the color and even the shape of the characters and it simply doesn't look at good.
On pretty much all of those the "new" ones also have less detail somehow. The shady in all the hair (and on Barts arms) is gone. Rosas crown FF1 dudes armor trim vanish. The light gleam on Ceil's helm disappears...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
This is a redesign based around readability. League of Legends had a huge texture update years ago that did the same thing where they removed lots of little details on their map and champions because most of it just became noise when looked at from far away or in motion. I would say these new sprites are much better because they keep the defining aspects of the character's looks and remove noise.

The sprites in these games don't ever change distance or render in different scales though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So this is some apparent artwork for these pixel remasters, and frankly I don't understand this at all. The new sprites look like ass, the colors are so dull and I can't figure out why. In the original sprite things are vibrate and distinct (if a little blurry), and I dont understand the color changes. Why not just sharpen up the original sprites to clean them up. Instead they change the color and even the shape of the characters and it simply doesn't look at good.
I’d like to see how/why they did this. Hoping most of the lack of detail is just from Youtube compression but doubtful.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I’d like to see how/why they did this. Hoping most of the lack of detail is just from Youtube compression but doubtful.
Hopefully there's going to be an option to have the old sprite back but that's doubtful. These are still way better than the previous mobile port but yeah they're a bit worst than the original. Sigh SE, don't make me re download zsnes.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This is a redesign based around readability. League of Legends had a huge texture update years ago that did the same thing where they removed lots of little details on their map and champions because most of it just became noise when looked at from far away or in motion. I would say these new sprites are much better because they keep the defining aspects of the character's looks and remove noise.
The sprites in these games don't ever change distance or render in different scales though.
Maybe it boils down to the originals never being meant for high definition displays, even if on a smaller screen for the mobile versions.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe it boils down to the originals never being meant for high definition displays, even if on a smaller screen for the mobile versions.
But these games have already been remade and or upgraded for hd screens. Even ff6 was on the SNES classic with hdmi output.

Either through psp, 3ds, gba, or mobile ports these games have been updated in some fashion before and these pixel art changes are just arbitrary. Though it is likely they made changes to justify selling them for a higher price again.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

In the LoL example, the issue is because the details are clunky at odd angles/distance/complex animations.

Classic FF sprites are, idk the exact count. But like 20ish predrawn frames. They aren't animating dynamically on mo-cap or with rendering from 100s of different ability effects on them. The distance never changes os they never change size or resolution.

The only reason to not upscale the details too, and instead remove them entirely and wash out the shading is if you didn't have the art chops to actually redraw the details in the new scale.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I didn't see anyone post this and it might be because I'm the only one who remembers this game, but Slime Rancher 2. Xbox and PC. The first one was a charmingly mindless time sink of quirky farming and wholesomeness. Hopefully they're not going grimdark grr serious with the sequel like everyone and their dogs are doing these days.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I didn't see anyone post this and it might be because I'm the only one who remembers this game, but Slime Rancher 2. Xbox and PC. The first one was a charmingly mindless time sink of quirky farming and wholesomeness. Hopefully they're not going grimdark grr serious with the sequel like everyone and their dogs are doing these days.
I dunno, it just doesn't look all that different from the first game. They have some new slimes in there but it looks more like what you'd put in DLC. For the type of game that Slime Rancher is, you need to give me more than that.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I dunno, it just doesn't look all that different from the first game. They have some new slimes in there but it looks more like what you'd put in DLC. For the type of game that Slime Rancher is, you need to give me more than that.
I mean there is only so much you can change in a game like Slime Rancher. You're a rancher, you have slimes that make cute sounds, they eat food and plorp, and some are cats. That's about it.
But I take your meaning it can feel like the new Evil Genius game where its not so much a sequel as just a flat remake.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
But these games have already been remade and or upgraded for hd screens. Even ff6 was on the SNES classic with hdmi output.

Either through psp, 3ds, gba, or mobile ports these games have been updated in some fashion before and these pixel art changes are just arbitrary. Though it is likely they made changes to justify selling them for a higher price again.
Yeah, Speaking of Pricing, anyone want to take bets what these will be sold for?

If I were doing this, I'd offer all 6 games in a bundle for $40(or maybe $60 to keep the suits happy) because then the customer can justify paying $10 a game and the suits can see $60 units. Sell for $10-$15 individually.

However, I don't work for SE so they'll probably price them at $20 a game at minimum. Which will suck because the ports of 3, 4, 5 and 6 are currently selling for $16 on steam.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
What the hell was that from Capcom? You might as well not show if you have nothing.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There were lots of things I wanted to see from capcom;

MHR pc release, Dragon's Dogman 2, or maybe even MvC or new megaman game.

Welp, this is what i get for setting an unrealistic expectations

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What the hell was that from Capcom? You might as well not show if you have nothing.
Yeah it makes no sense, especially considering how expensive E3 presentations are and the idea that many other companies are just doing their own mini shows. Capcom could have easily missed this event considered they showed absolutely fuck all.