E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Its really weird to call people hating on other M story sexist, I'd say other M is probably the most sexist game I ever played.
Oh for fuck's sake here we go again.

The problem with Other M was it was made to increase the franchise's market share in Japan. Metroid had never been as popular in Japan as it had been in in the West, as Metroid's blend of Western sci-fi cultural inspiration and darker themes historically haven't played well with Japanese audiences. Ergo, Other M was written by Sakamoto specifically to appeal to them.

The character traits attributed to Samus in Other M -- stoicism, strict adherence to hierarchy and protocol, exacting social awareness -- are traits of a strong and heroic character. In the West, they're not; rather the opposite. And when Sakamoto placed himself in charge of voice casting, voice directing, and localization, he didn't account for that and translated the game as opposed to localize it. And, Nintendo and Team Ninja ended up with what happened as a result.

That's not a gender thing, that's Western audiences interpreting bad localization through the lens of gender, because gender relations have been on the forefront of Western political discourse for over a century.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Just watched the Tiny Tina trailer, and not gonna lie, that looked pretty fun. I remember her DLC adventure from BL2, being complete ridiculous fun, up until the end, where it had one of the most emotional gut punches I can recall playing. It feels like it's going to try and capture that again. I love epically silly, and epically badass when they are mixed properly.
Let's hope so. Although, I thought the games media decided Tiny Tina was racist something like 8 years ago and I would have figured that wouldn't be woke enough to ensure good coverage.

Apparently, disliking the game made you sexist.
Of course it did, the game had a female protagonist after all, so if you hated it that had to be the reason you hated it. There is no other point of discussion than the female protagonist.

What a load of bullshit.
Still not the most bullshit opinion on a game I've ever seen. https://www.gamesradar.com/portal-is-the-most-subversive-game-ever/

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Let's hope so. Although, I thought the games media decided Tiny Tina was racist something like 8 years ago and I would have figured that wouldn't be woke enough to ensure good coverage.
*shrugs* She's intentionally written to be abrasive, and I don't recall any specific racial lines, but it's Borderlands, irreverence is kind of baked into it. I personally always just saw her as an incredibly mentally damaged kid, who used her pop culture stuff as a coping mechanism for what she endured and witnessed as a child. And that she probably doesn't even register 50% of the shit out of her mouth. And actually, after having seen people with actual Tourette's syndrome, and how they behave, I'd almost say she's got that.

Regardless, her using the Bunkers and Badasses as a therapeutic tool to try and find some personal closure with the events of BL 2, and how she resolved stuff at the end of that DLC, genuinely chokes me up with Awesome Tears every time I see it (i'm getting teary eyed just writing this). So if they can still channel that level of heart, as well as all the insanity and humor of the rest of it. I'm fucking down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Of course it did, the game had a female protagonist after all, so if you hated it that had to be the reason you hated it. There is no other point of discussion than the female protagonist.

Still not the most bullshit opinion on a game I've ever seen. https://www.gamesradar.com/portal-is-the-most-subversive-game-ever/
Nah, that's typical loving the smell of your own farts article. It's a bad article don't get me wrong, but I've seen worse from before and way later in the 2010s. Though there is a reason why I never kept up with Games Radar much. This being one of them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For anyone that cares. Granted, I don't watch a lot of Simon solo stuff. I just don't find them that interesting unless he's in a group with Max. Here you go.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The game's writer and his Totally Not a Nepotism Hire, We Promise! sister who voiced the character are in good with the clique and haven't proven more valuable thrown under the bus (yet). His ex-wife's boyfriend probably still has the free Wii U to prove it. They could take an afternoon stroll through the Bay area wearing Klan robes, and the net result would be a bunch of op-eds saying it was really just a subversive statement on systemic racism in late-stage capitalism, and how anyone pointing out the fact they are in fact wearing Klan robes, are the real racists.

Because none of that shit is or ever has been about substance, it's all performance and perception.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So that Gamestop physical restock today is no joke. Our little game store in Montana got 20 Series X's alone, probably the same number of S's, and there was an Animal Crossing Switch just...hanging out on the shelf (behind glass, obv)

It was surreal. And it's surreal that being able to walk into a game store and buy a game console is surreal.

The problem with Other M was it was made to increase the franchise's market share in Japan. Metroid had never been as popular in Japan as it had been in in the West, as Metroid's blend of Western sci-fi cultural inspiration and darker themes historically haven't played well with Japanese audiences. Ergo, Other M was written by Sakamoto specifically to appeal to them.

The character traits attributed to Samus in Other M -- stoicism, strict adherence to hierarchy and protocol, exacting social awareness -- are traits of a strong and heroic character. In the West, they're not; rather the opposite. And when Sakamoto placed himself in charge of voice casting, voice directing, and localization, he didn't account for that and translated the game as opposed to localize it. And, Nintendo and Team Ninja ended up with what happened as a result.

That's not a gender thing, that's Western audiences interpreting bad localization through the lens of gender, because gender relations have been on the forefront of Western political discourse for over a century.
Even if the whole Mom thing being used to a hilariously stupid degree and the speaking well of a dude that *literally* ordered her to walk through lava then shoot her in the back isn't a "gender" thing, it's still fantastically bad writing. I don't care *what* country you're living in.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
For anyone that cares. Granted, I don't watch a lot of Simon solo stuff. I just don't find them that interesting unless he's in a group with Max. Here you go.
I think you might get a kick out of this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think you might get a kick out of this.
I usually don't like brawlers with RPG elements, aside from a few exceptions. I can't make any official guarantees, but I'll keep an eye on the game. It does have a unique look, so I will give it that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
They are still doing Russia lol for the new battlefield. I swear it's the year 2200, and after the Russians have a reduced population, and are basically a rump state likely controlled by China, they will still be doing Russia.

Here some ideas...

US civil war, EU civil war, South American inter-state war, and of course aliens.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...a dude that *literally* ordered her to walk through lava then shoot her in the back isn't a "gender" thing, it's still fantastically bad writing. I don't care *what* country you're living in.
Samus barrel-asses through not one but two environments of her adoptive home planet, when she's damn aware of their environmental hazards that are a literal order of magnitude more dangerous than the Pyrosphere, without arsing herself to pick up the Varia first entirely of her own volition...twice: cool cool, nobody question it, girl power.

Samus is sent on a recon mission and forced to divert through a super-heated section of the Pyrosphere she was never intended to enter because her path of egress had been destroyed, which barely damages her and is a completely negligible environmental hazard, and gets the green light to online the Varia suit when caught in a literal volcanic eruption: oh my god that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, worst game ever.

Y'all act like Adam was cackling the entire time while masturbating furiously and screaming "burn ***** burn!" over comms, did you even play the game? I mean at least, have the cojones to use consistent standards when criticizing other games in the series' perceived logical consistency.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

Can you point to a character from Japan that inhabits these traits?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ya'll need to chill with this conversation, or take it to a different thread. E3 is over and the debates of how sexist Metroid is or isn't, is not a topic that needs to happen here.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
This was some weak E3.
Now i'm really missing the old ones, yes, the cringy presentations and break shows included. Atleast there was a lot of stuff to riff on.

MS "won" this, by scoring basicly a B-. Nintendo closely after despite not even having to try either.

My "Hypest Revelation" list goes like this:
1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
2. Elden Ring
3. Metroid: Dread

Honorable mention goes to "Atomic Heart" that also looked interesting.

That's all.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I usually don't like brawlers with RPG elements, aside from a few exceptions. I can't make any official guarantees, but I'll keep an eye on the game. It does have a unique look, so I will give it that.
*cough* The unique look is familiar to me and I'm debating whether I should mention the implications of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*cough* The unique look is familiar to me and I'm debating whether I should mention the implications of it.
Everytime I look at the art style, it reminds me of the Disney afternoon/Saturday morning block from the 90s. Tale Spin, Chip n Dale, and Darkwing Duck.