E3: Microsoft Announces Halo 4 (and 5, and 6)

siahsargus

Jul 28, 2010
I' going to remain cautiously optimistic. All the Halo games thusfar have been stelar (groan), and as much as I would like to believe that current trends will continue, this is Microsoft's 343 studios first game. How they take the property is vital to the overall quality of the francise.

To all you haters - of course they would make another Halo game. It certainly won't be a clone (Think of the differnences between all of the previous titles.), and it is already very popular, with some fans eagerly awaiting the next game. I might preorder it.

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
Halo was supposed to be OVER. I can understand bringing it back at some point, but it's too soon! We're digging it back up when it only just started to get cold!
Let it sit a few years, at least.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
If its good then sure why not?
But if they screw this up.
I will be so angry I may write a letter of complaint.
Because that's the British thing to do!

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
IndianaJonny said:
Just...not impressed. It took no inspiration or ingenuity to come up with this and strangle the remaining life out of the franchise.
What... You don....

How do you know?

All we know is that they're using the Halo Brand and Master Chiefs character.

The story may be perfectly original.

Shall we reserve this kind of judgement until the games actually out?
Granted, I'm working off the assumption that say, unlike the Harry Potter novels, the entire narrative of the Master Chief's tale was not conceived from day one so the narrative of each successive game becomes gradually more and more 'shoehorned' simply onto where the last game left off. Add to that the fact the project is now in different hands and I stuggle to see it finding lasting appeal. Long-titled franchises such as Mario and Final Fantasy work for different reasons whereas long game franchises relying on a single principal character, a la Tomb Raider, tend to become quite tired.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Nfritzappa said:
Im gonna be the bastard on this forum thats going to be different and say I'm actually excited for this. F*** the haters.
Go on, be that bastard... I'm right behing you! Jesus, I'm now stoked for a new Halo game! Can't wait to see how 343i handle it XD
Mr. Omega said:
The only real thing that concerns me is who will be doing this project. Giving IPs to another dev is a practice that normally doesn't end well.
Hopefully it'll be fine, since 343i was essentially created for the purpose of continuing the franchise. It even has old Bungie employees who transferred over to help with any new Halo games. It actually looks pretty promising, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether or not it can be done justice and prove to be a game worthy of its over-hyped, AAA status.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
Marudas said:
Disgraceful.

(Fine fine, more than one word: This is just sad. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo series, but I thought the ending to game 3 was good. But no, there's money to be had so lets desecrate the corpse of this franchise!)
Um, no one EVER said that Halo was going to end. All that was said was that BUNGIE was quitting (Possibly temporary) and they actually helped Microsoft to create 343 Studios to continue Halo.

Stop crying.
Indeed.

And on that note! While this shows off only a brief teaser of the potential opening, I am quite interested in this.. Halo 3 left us off on a curious cliffhanger, and I wonder what 343 Studio's will end up making of it.

To add, I am a Halo fan. Suck it haters.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
If their going to continue the series then this might be a good choice to follow John 117 but I like many I was satisfied with the ending to 3. Still of course people are going to keep dragging out any series that they can milk. An entire other trilogy seems excessive though. If I found out George Lucas was behind this I wouldn't be surprised. Still no way to tell properly until it develops more.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I didn't like the Master Chief. He had enough of a character to stop me really putting myself in his shoes, but not enough of one to make him likeable. I felt way more attached to 6 in Reach because it contributed to the immersion by making me forget that I'm not an unstoppable supersoldier with a massive penis.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
MetalGenocide said:
Oh, no...here we go again.

Damn you standard-less gaming zombies! The industry continues to pump out, yet even more mediocre games, because you keep supporting the previous ones!
/mini-rant

There really wasn't a need for another one....or three.
Except that people enjoyed the games....

And the third game left it open on purpose.

I mean honestly people, how was him drifting off in uncharted space a good end to the series. It was an obvious cliff hanger.

How are people surprised.

If you people don't like the series just don't play it. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing where he is and what new enemies there are.

Maybe even a none-human upgrade to the spartan armour??????
More casual fans probably aren't aware of the Legendary ending. The normal post-credits scene really was a satisfying ending.

But, yes, this day was obviously coming, so just shut up and accept it.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Great job Microsoft, your fucking up my absolute favourite series of games and probably making Bungie cry. I don't care how good it will be (although it probably won't be that great), I care about keeping the story the way Bungie wanted it to be y'know? Whatever, won't buy it, will just ignore it, and will hope it fails.

EDIT: Oh, and anyone else see the similarity to this and Star Wars? (Going past the third movie?)

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
JordanXlord said:
REPTILE 0009 said:
ZeroMachine said:
Nfritzappa said:
Im gonna be the bastard on this forum thats going to be different and say I'm actually excited for this. F*** the haters.
GamesB2 said:
I'd still like to see some more spin off games (More ODST, more Halo Wars, maybe something where you play exclusively as the Covenant) but hell I don't care, I love Halo and no doubt I'll buy into this trilogy and the Anniversary Edition.

Here's hoping that 343 can show off some skill, and some good storytelling.

Now, a wave of hate!
Abandon4093 said:
Marudas said:
Disgraceful.

(Fine fine, more than one word: This is just sad. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo series, but I thought the ending to game 3 was good. But no, there's money to be had so lets desecrate the corpse of this franchise!)
The bold pretty much sums up your post.

As a fan of the series, the 3rd left it purposefully ambiguous. I can't wait to see what this game is like and I'll be buying it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple.
REPTILE 0009 said:
Nfritzappa said:
Finally, someone cool on this site :)
Teiraa said:
D=......................................................................................................................................................................................awesome
I'm... not... alone... :D

I swear, I feel like I need to retire from this site. Too many people needlessly bash Halo and CoD, and act like they're cancer simply because they make new entries to the franchises.

The word "milking" should be a ban-able offense. Who the fuck cares if a company milks a franchise if the games are good?
My thoughts exactly. The people bashing COD and Halo for being "milked," may have point... just not a very good one. Who honestly cares if the games are "milked" if they're good?
Congrats you Gain 100 Karma With JordanXlord (or Rep)

I love the halo series, i played more halo than i have ever played cod
These are some of the coolest people on this site and they deserve extra quoting! Couldn't agree more, guys. The haters are infinitely worse than the fanboys as a general rule. Hopefully Halo 4 will show them!

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
I was hoping that Microsoft would have sense enough to stop producing Halo while it still has a relatively large fanbase, but no. I guess they're going to do what every other company does with popular games. Keep cranking them out until everyone gets sick of it and the games reputation and popularity goes down in a ball of fire.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ScoopMeister said:
JordanXlord said:
REPTILE 0009 said:
ZeroMachine said:
Nfritzappa said:
GamesB2 said:
I'd still like to see some more spin off games (More ODST, more Halo Wars, maybe something where you play exclusively as the Covenant) but hell I don't care, I love Halo and no doubt I'll buy into this trilogy and the Anniversary Edition.

Here's hoping that 343 can show off some skill, and some good storytelling.

Now, a wave of hate!
Abandon4093 said:
Marudas said:
Disgraceful.

The bold pretty much sums up your post.

As a fan of the series, the 3rd left it purposefully ambiguous. I can't wait to see what this game is like and I'll be buying it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple.
REPTILE 0009 said:
Nfritzappa said:
Finally, someone cool on this site :)
Teiraa said:
D=......................................................................................................................................................................................awesome
I'm... not... alone... :D

I swear, I feel like I need to retire from this site. Too many people needlessly bash Halo and CoD, and act like they're cancer simply because they make new entries to the franchises.

The word "milking" should be a ban-able offense. Who the fuck cares if a company milks a franchise if the games are good?
My thoughts exactly. The people bashing COD and Halo for being "milked," may have point... just not a very good one. Who honestly cares if the games are "milked" if they're good?
Congrats you Gain 100 Karma With JordanXlord (or Rep)

I love the halo series, i played more halo than i have ever played cod
These are some of the coolest people on this site and they deserve extra quoting! Couldn't agree more, guys. The haters are infinitely worse than the fanboys as a general rule. Hopefully Halo 4 will show them!
Im cool goddamit!
/Attention horse

Also this is a case of so many explosions its awsome, its sort of like the uncanny valley when its like that
no explosions-Explosions-AWSOME EXPLOSIONS- To many explosions this is just stupid- FUCKING HELL YES EXPLOSIONS!

I like explosions ok!

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
I loved one and two. I wasn't a big fan of 3 or Reach. In 3's defense, though, the story was fine (though I admit to not caring too much for the ending), it was the length I didn't like. I've also never been a big fan of the Arbiter missions. There's a lot in Halo I'm not too fond of, but I love the universe, and I really can't wait to see some more of it.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I'll bet Bungie is glad they escaped MS before being forced to make Halo games for the rest of their existence.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Optimistic. The covenant/flood/halo storyline has been finished, can be put aside (as long as the devs honor that story being finished, plz devs honor that thnx), we can get on to new adventures and shit. Maybe the chance to tell less of a "war story" and more of a Master Chief isolated in a new situation story. Yeah I know "but halo IS about war and shit", I don't care. All bets are off, new story.

New aliens, new threat, etc...

I'd also love to see a bit of the covenant races living in harmony with earth. I love that shit. Possibly towards the end when it looks like all hope is lost, suddenly a rescue team arrives consisting of humans, elites, Hunters, Grunts. COULD BE EFFING COOL.

Foobula

Dec 26, 2009
And once again, they wont release it for the PC because microsoft hates their fans