Mar 29, 2011
mikozero said:
-Dragmire- said:
mikozero said:
-Dragmire- said:
mikozero said:
Caveworm said:
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.
you should seriously have a look at the specs this console is going to have before you make such judgement calls.

seriously.
besides, current gen graphics are fine. I just want less loading times.
well it's supposed to have 8GB internal flash storage.
I haven't heard much, did they say anything about installing cd based games to reduce loading times/improve performance?
nothing about that specifically tho you can use flash drives to cache disc loading and improve load speeds and performance tho (in fact you can do this on a PC with a thumb drive :p)

there is mention of external usb hard disc support with no suggestion of it being proprietary yet. Four USB 2.0 connector slots, internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive the thing says.

have a look here if you like: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/htwfy/new_nintendo_console_wii_u_fact_sheet/

(i got the 8GB number for the internal flash mem from another page)
Sound good, a small step back to the days of pick-up-and-play. I hope all console makers continue to develop their consoles with that in mind.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Oly J said:
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.
that is a valid point but let's remember those were games that already exist, for all anyone knows at the moment, the Wii U could be capable of much better graphics and much larger games, although in my opinion I don't think graphics are going to get much better than they are anyway, which in my book is good because that means developers can focus on other things, like Nintendo always do, (admittedly that doesn't always work but experimentation is good) sure the Wii was a flop in the eyes of many, myself included, but the Gamecube was my favorite console of it's generation. so as long as the controls aren't awful to use like the Wii I'll be happy
Good points, all. My big sticking point is the price. If they squeeze this baby out for $200-300, I think they have a great chance to dent the market. If this thing drops at $400+ with one controller, and additional controllers at $75-100+, then I think Nintendo has some serious holes in their canoe.

The 3DS is already have a hard time making headway in the market, mostly because they thought glasses were the only reason people hated 3D. If a "more or less as powerful as a 360" console ends up costing $600 when you add up all the peripherals... they can kiss their days of printing money bye bye.

Either way, I won't be buying it. Nintendo abandoned my style of gaming a long time ago, my backlog of games isn't getting any shorter, and the iphone has defied my expectations in the "only have 20 minutes, so what will I do?" department. This most-idiotically-name-device-ever fills a need that I don't have now, and won't have in a year or two.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
Yeah I actually agree with this. Say what you will about 'rehashed' Nintendo franchises, at least they're made unique each time because of the company's platform innovation. Compare the last 2 Zelda games and the upcoming one with the last 3 of any console shooting franchise. Take Gears of War for this example.

Zelda had stuck in touch-screen for its handheld titles, a unique and different art style and gameplay mechanic for the Wind Waker, and motion controls for Twilight Princess and the upcoming Skyward Sword.

Gears of War? Bigger set-pieces and better graphics. You think that's an unfair comparison? Okay. Modern Warfare: bigger set-pieces, better graphics and more explosions.

Even if Nintendo plays it safe with their traditional franchise on the Wii-U, I guarantee they'll be unlike any iteration of those series we've ever seen before.
Exactly, Nintendo actually takes more risks than people are willing to admit. They think outside the box and usually they are rewarded for their efforts. Just because something is a sequel doesn't mean it's a rehash. This is something most gamers seem to not realize due to relying on regurgitating lines from forums and web series. Reminds of that one scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon bitches out that Harvard snob who has no ideas of his own and is just blindly parroting phrases from books he read for class

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
laryri said:
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.
lol... all im gonna say is nintendo is gonna bring a whole new level of compeditivness to the market

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
DragonLord Seth said:
Why are they settling for "equal"? The 360's been out for 6 years now, and the PS3 for what, 4 or 5? So why are they settling for 4-6 year old graphics? They could be the new PS3 in terms of visuals, and they screw it up.
Now back to ignoring Nintendo!
The demo's actually made to showcase the system and not the fact that they are getting all the games that they haven't been the past few years are jaw dropping and the one that the press has seen behind closed doors is even more impressive. Dev's designing games for the lowest common denominator horsepower wise (now the 360/PS3) is nothing new and so what you'll see on most of the multiplat releases is that thee NWU version runs at a rock steady 60fps with more effects taken from whatever PC version there is as they can't afford to make a whole new slew of game assets for the single console.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
DragonLord Seth said:
Why are they settling for "equal"? The 360's been out for 6 years now, and the PS3 for what, 4 or 5? So why are they settling for 4-6 year old graphics? They could be the new PS3 in terms of visuals, and they screw it up.
Now back to ignoring Nintendo!
If you actually read what other people said before just rehashing that old line, you would know that the Wii U has better graphical and processing power than the PS3 and 360, and just because HD graphics are 4-6 years old, doesn't mean there is anything better

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
If this thing starts out being able to play games that are pretty much the apex of what the PS3/360 can run, then it'll be able to do more. Look at the the launch titles for those platforms, and compare the graphics with what's available today. It takes a while for these things to hit their stride.
And is there really any appreciable difference between PC titles and their console counterparts? I can't really see where graphics will go from here..

JakBandit2208

Jun 11, 2009
Not saying that I don't find the Wii U impressive, but all Nintendo is really doing differently is trying to get more support from 3rd party developers. From what I'm seeing so far this is just the HD Wii that people have been asking for.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
What's brilliant about this is that at the conference, people were yelling when they showed the 3rd party games footage that is looked horrible in comparison to PS3 and Xbox 360...uh-huh...that's mighty funny there guys...

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
I suppose it makes sense, if you have nothing to show then play on the future development angle any way you can.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
JediMB said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
So basicallly nintendo is full of shit...
Nintendo: Showed a reel of multi-platform games coming out for the Wii U, and didn't deny for a second that it's pre-existing footage from other platforms.

Sony: Showed footage that they repeatedly insisted on being real-time footage rendered by the PS3, but turned out to be pre-rendered cinematics.

Full of shit, you say?
When they did thier big video with clips from ninja gaidan and batman, I dont recall seein on the bottom of the screen "These clips were taking from xbox and/or playstation...So yeah full of shit

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
The only thing I'm really hoping for this next generetion of consoles is that they are powerful enough to use AA.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
believer258 said:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.
IBM released a statement and told Engadget yesterday that the CPU is a POWER7 custom design with "loads" of EDRAM (probably 16MB) and either a 4 core solution (most likely as it's what is already made) or 3 core one to increase yields and lower power draw/heat. 45nm chip atm but it's possible that a shrink to 32nm will happen within a year if they release with the 45.
AMD's statement talks of features available in the 5xxx series of cards so it's reasonable to assume that the design is based on them.
No word on RAM yet as whichever manufacturer they've got is keeping shtum but with the CPU they've got they'll go with 1-2GB of high quality, fast RAM.

The GTX 580 is way too bulky, has too much of a power draw and runs way too hot to be viable in consoles for another 2-4 years or so even with massive amounts of money going into R+D, unless you go with £100 cooling solutions on top of the chip cost and a huuuge box for heatsinks+pipes for it and wouldn't offer as significant an improvement over the 5xxx series of cards in a closed system to warrant the spend. It would also break BC with the Wii :p

Also Pikmin 3 is definitely coming for NWU which guarentees my support even if the platform is just some string puppets in a box.
while that nice to know i have 2 questions
1) how would this compare to an XBOX360/PS3
2) where did you get this infromation

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Fasckira said:
By the time the Wii-U comes out I'd be expecting "better than" graphics, considering how old the 360 and the PS3 will be by then.

I'll still remain quietly confident however, I think its time Nintendo stepped up their play and this could be the moment to shine.
... it is the return of the graphics wars apparently. Damnit Nintendo....

OT:
In case i haven't commented here on it, I think it is perfectly fine that they did this. not that it is a loophole, they just played the footage and said that those games were coming to the Wii U. Didn't say that was actual footage. Which would be very upsetting if they lied about it. And in the interveiw Reggie just plain said it. No smoke and mirrors. Just honesty. And I am in on this kind of deal, they just stay honest, and I will buy your stuff.

Now if only they could do a trade-in on Wii systems gives you credit for a Wii U, things would be good...

MirrorForTheSun

Feb 21, 2011
Tiswas said:
Does it matter? All the devs said was 'Darksiders is coming, Arkham City etc is coming.' they never once said 'these are trailers of Darksiders on the Wii U.'
It's true. They also didn't say that "the WiiU will not eat your cat," so when it does, we have no reason to complain!

There's something they suggest - knowingly - by showing that footage in the background. The fact that they owned up to it after it all died down just shows they knew they were being dishonest.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Eveonline100 said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
believer258 said:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.
IBM released a statement and told Engadget yesterday that the CPU is a POWER7 custom design with "loads" of EDRAM (probably 16MB) and either a 4 core solution (most likely as it's what is already made) or 3 core one to increase yields and lower power draw/heat. 45nm chip atm but it's possible that a shrink to 32nm will happen within a year if they release with the 45.
AMD's statement talks of features available in the 5xxx series of cards so it's reasonable to assume that the design is based on them.
No word on RAM yet as whichever manufacturer they've got is keeping shtum but with the CPU they've got they'll go with 1-2GB of high quality, fast RAM.

The GTX 580 is way too bulky, has too much of a power draw and runs way too hot to be viable in consoles for another 2-4 years or so even with massive amounts of money going into R+D, unless you go with £100 cooling solutions on top of the chip cost and a huuuge box for heatsinks+pipes for it and wouldn't offer as significant an improvement over the 5xxx series of cards in a closed system to warrant the spend. It would also break BC with the Wii :p

Also Pikmin 3 is definitely coming for NWU which guarentees my support even if the platform is just some string puppets in a box.
while that nice to know i have 2 questions
1) how would this compare to an XBOX360/PS3
2) where did you get this infromation
1) Shits on them from a distance so high it ices up and cracks the pavement. Seriously though this blows them out of the water in every aspect.
2) The IBM press release and engadget/others (eg link [http://www.1up.com/news/ibm-nintendo-wii-watson-brains] ) for the CPU and the AMD press release where they talk of things on the 5xxx series of cards such as multidisplay tech, so its a safe deduction that the base GPU is going to be from that line, modified for consoles.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Wow, that's astoundingly pathetic.
I think we are going to see a lot of "Nintendon't" on the rise again.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think it's stupid for a _new_ console coming out next year to be touting that it can match the current generation of console's graphics, which came out 6 years ago, and are themselves starting to look very outdated graphics-wise.

That's like coming out with a new oil lamp when everyone else is about to jump to electricity.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
notice how much he is trying to highlight the 1080p, despite every other major console having it this current generation. what do you buy if you want to play wii games, buy a wii or a 360 with kinnect? sure the 360 is 1080 but people wanted the wii and ill i think about when seeing this is nintendo trying to satisfy too many people at once.