E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

Rafael Dera

Aug 24, 2010
Anyone else disappointed they didn't go for the "Puu"? Y'know, number one was the Wii; number two is the Puu. Would have been perfectly logical.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Rafael Dera said:
Anyone else disappointed they didn't go for the "Puu"? Y'know, number one was the Wii; number two is the Puu. Would have been perfectly logical.
Lulz!

Piuu~~

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I have this strange image in my head of families and friends sitting together in front of their TV and everyone is doing something different. It's a cool idea in theory, but sharing a big TV screen bonds players. Shared-screen games are even more effective at local multi-player fun than split-screen stuff.

I mean, do families still eat together in these times? Geez.

I'm growing tired of all this bullshit "entertain yourself in thew palm of you hands" way of thinking, stop disconnecting yourself from the real world, man. This will not stand, ya know.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Well, this is definitely interesting. Ah, Escapist pissing and moaning; this means the WiiU'll sell truckloads.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
John Funk said:
Good news: The Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii games.
Well, I wanna know if it's backwards compatible with all GameCube games. Otherwise, I have to keep my old Wii anyway...

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Hey it's Nintendo! (YAY)
Is it gimmick-based again? (YAY)
Is it riding the SmashBros train to sell to retrogamers? (YAY)

Yep, same old stuff... Still not interested...

Kafloobop

Nov 11, 2009
What I'm worried about is the price. The price is definitely gonna make or break this game. I'm thinking anything much over 300 and it'll flop. However if it's 300 or under I can totally see this being just as successful as the Wii.

Also I'm kinda getting the feeling that they're slowly trying to bring casual players into more serious gaming. Get a bunch of people playing with a simple motion controller, then give them a half controller half smartphone thingy, then people might just start picking up a regular controller.

Edit:

I think it's really great that Nintendo keeps innovating with its controllers because as far as console hardware goes that's probably the most important part. The console itself you just pick a shape and then fill it with the latest graphic and audio chips. (Yes I know it's more then that but you know what I'm getting at.) The controller is the thing that the gamer directly interacts with while they're playing and Nintendo is the only one trying to do new things with that. Heck Sony has used the exact same (blocky and uncomfortable in my opinion)controller design for all of it's consoles.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Until I get my hands on it, I will not be forming an opinion on the new controller. Not to mention even if it was the holodeck developers have to make good software for it.

Though speaking as someone who doesn't own a TV, the streaming to the screen intrigues me. I have been a nintendo/pc gamer my whole life, but my wii fell into disuse so after I moved out of my parents I never got a tv. With hulu, netflix, etc. who needs one?

That just gave me another interesting idea. We can assume netflix will find its way onto this since it's already on the Wii. Could I stream different content to the TV, and multiple screens simultaneously? Not really looking for an answer to that question, as obviously no one knows, so it's just some food for thought.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
While the whole streaming thing might be nice, I don't really see this revolutionizing anything.

Also, that thing looks like an ergonomic nightmare.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Jerome9157 said:
Arisato-kun said:
I'm just gonna say Nintendo won E3. Third party support looks great and I'm pumped for the new Smash Bros.

Also get over the name people. What are you, 4?
so... nintendo won with an ipad rip-off and another mario game.
Nah Nintendo won with an interesting concept and the return of great third party support.

Oh and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Nero09

Jan 25, 2010
So...
It's PS3 hardware (at least) with Wii peripherals and the bottom half of a (3)DS as a controller.

With the possibility of playing everything that was on the Wii, will be on ANY multi-platform this generation, in addition to their own first-party games (plus EA cooperation). Am I looking through some LSD-infused fog here, or does this thing have the greatest potential in the video game industry today?

Can't wait and see if Nintendo delivers.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Its looks silly. I'm kinda wondering if I should bother with this one for that reason. My Wii got little use and I'm wondering if this is going to improve things any. Nice ideas but a endless desert of lack of interesting titles. Oh Nintendo.