E3: Wii U Lineup Impresses

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
If this is good...the WiiU may be my new console of choice....unless Microsoft or Sony can whip something up...

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Even though I'm not interested at all in the WiiU or 3DS, I do feel that Nintendo Came out on top this E3. Let's see if Nintendo can catch Lightning in a bottle twice in a row.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Anyway, the controller looks weird. I wonder if it'll be comfortable. It just seems so large and looks like it had DS sized buttons. They probably are bigger though and it was just the TV playing tricks on me.
Nintendo have been very successful with all of their controllers so I'd be surprised if its uncomfortable.

arc1991 said:
If this is good...the WiiU may be my new console of choice....unless Microsoft or Sony can whip something up...
Not this quickly. Both said last year they were hoping their current platforms would last another 5 years so assuming its released Christmas 2012, they'd have about 3 years as a direct competitor. Even if Microsoft/Sony do release something new, do you expect it to be anything more then just the same thing again but with beefier hardware?

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
I was a bit skeptical until they showcased the trailers for the games. They look amazing, and in full HD with online support? yes please.

Only thing I'm confused about is that is the Wii still going to be needed? In the first trailer it was present next to the TV and so it looked as though you need the Wii to be able to use it, but then they started going on about how just the controller can connect up to the TV and stream games straight to it or whatever.
They didn't really answer that bit

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Super Mario Bros. Mii will let you play the game as your Mii, which sounds a little weird.
When I first read that, I thought it said "Super Smash Bros. Mii" like SSB but you replace the characters with your Mii, which admittedly sounds awesome. Too bad I just misread.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
airwolfe591 said:
Even though I'm not interested at all in the WiiU or 3DS, I do feel that Nintendo Came out on top this E3.
This new console basically screams to me "Look we can play the same games as the other consoles now" I really dont think they where on top, not with the Vita and all the exclusives microsoft and sony have

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Arkham city and ilk looks as good as the ps3 vision? So the next gen console.... Is as good as the current?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I just can't stop reading the damn name as "Weeee-ooh!" like Tobuscus...

The line-up is impressive, the controller is certainly... interesting, and the ideas that are there certainly are exciting.

What is interesting is this concept of multi-screen gaming. It's not exactly a new idea now, and it seems everyone is getting in on the act. Nintendo had the GBA to GC connectivity, then there was PSP-to-PS3, now we have the Wii U and PS Vita, and even Microsoft are giving it a shot with that demo of WP7 controlling the Kinect game (rebound, or whatever the hell it's called.)

It's an interesting trend that gaming is following and it should be interesting to see how it develops in the future.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I'd be more impressed with a lineup for a system that I don't even own, if it wern't for the fact I can still get those games for the systems I already own. ie; The PS3. I'm already hard pressed for cash, I can't afford to buy a new system, just to play a couple of games I could already get on a system I have. Unless some Ungodly amazing Nintendo exclusive title appears in the next few years that can only be gotten on the... WiiU, I'm going to save my dough for the PS4. Hopefully they won't stuck another 599 USD price tag like last time...

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
"The boss of Electronic Arts basically puts his stamp on Nintendo's new console and says that he will support it 100 percent."

.... That made me giggle.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Those Nintendo bastards sure are savvy business folk. They win the previous generation hands down, then the release an HD system when they can do it for cheap compared to even the current competition. I mean, no one has mentioned anything, but your probably looking at lowest end PS3 prices at the most for the new system. They kept away from HD because it would have made the system stupid expensive. I can't wait to see what else is coming along for the new console. Though, I hope to god that name is only the working name, and not the actual name of the system.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
funguy2121 said:
OK, what's with that? You and Audrey from IGN got some body thing goin' on I don't know about
It's from E3 2007. They had some game with the balance board going, and Reggie comes out to play. He announces "My body- My body is ready." It became a meme. It's the Nintendo version of "FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS" and "So here's this giant enemy crab. And you attack its weak point... for massive damage."

funguy2121 said:
Remember, a lot of the reasoning behind the size/shape of the gamecube controller had to do with the smaller size of Japanese hands. I'm sure the controller won't be too big or bulky to be comfortable.
Did I say anything was wrong with the GameCube controller? No. So don't act like I did, please. I thought the GameCube controller was just fine. And you should remember that it didn't have a touch screen over 6 inches in size in the middle of it.

Plinglebob said:
Nintendo have been very successful with all of their controllers so I'd be surprised if its uncomfortable.
Again, none of them were big square blocky looking things with a giant touch screen in the middle. This is a new kind of controller, and pointing at all their previous traditional controllers doesn't do much to say that something so different will be comfortable.

Plus, I think you forgot about this monstrosity: http://n64controller.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/n64controller.jpg

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Yeah yeah, it's great that some developers are backing the system. But could we see what games these developers are making? Could we even see, oh, I dunno, a demonstration of how said games will use the new hardware? Bleh, whatever.

Still, if Ken Levine is backing this up somewhat, it can only bring good things.

aeroblaster

Nov 10, 2009
WiiU, Me, Us? As a Nintendo fan the name is questionable, but everyone will get used to it if it doesn't change anyway.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
aeroblaster said:
WiiU, Me, Us? As a Nintendo fan the name is questionable, but everyone will get used to it if it doesn't change anyway.
At least it's not called Nintendo Vita. :p

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Macrobstar said:
airwolfe591 said:
Even though I'm not interested at all in the WiiU or 3DS, I do feel that Nintendo Came out on top this E3.
This new console basically screams to me "Look we can play the same games as the other consoles now" I really dont think they where on top, not with the Vita and all the exclusives microsoft and sony have
Nintendo does seem to now be one step behind in the current hardware specs of other current gen consoles if they just announced a system that can now play games we've already been playing, but the new controller adds some interesting design opportunities for developers if it's used right and hopefully the WiiU controller isn't unwieldy, it's probably going to be about 8" wide which I think is the biggest console controller thus far. They would've been better off with handles like in the initial design plans we saw.

Though everything that came out of the sony press conference has gotten me excited, the Vita is a definite buy for me this winter and with it being compatible with the PS3 where you can cloud save your game on the Vita and Play it on the PS3 is an awesome idea, makes me want to actually pick up Ruin. Hopefully you don't have to buy the game twice, if you do that'd be lame =/

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well developers supported the Wii as well. Look at how awesome Madden was on the Wii afterall . . . oh wait. Well certainly the Wii got Call of Duty 3 right didn't they? Yeah, just because games are on the system doesn't mean they will actually be good or even up to the standards of the PS3/Xbox 360 after they crowbar in support for that damn controller. Nintendo is making a half hearted entry into the video game industry circa 2007 by the looks of it and its far too little too late.

Connor2224

Feb 21, 2011
Riku said:
I was a bit skeptical until they showcased the trailers for the games. They look amazing, and in full HD with online support? yes please.

Only thing I'm confused about is that is the Wii still going to be needed? In the first trailer it was present next to the TV and so it looked as though you need the Wii to be able to use it, but then they started going on about how just the controller can connect up to the TV and stream games straight to it or whatever.
They didn't really answer that bit
that was the new one but it was a bit hard to notice the edges are more rounded and here is a link http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/06/new_nintendo_console_detail.jpg

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
mjc0961 said:
funguy2121 said:
OK, what's with that? You and Audrey from IGN got some body thing goin' on I don't know about
It's from E3 2007. They had some game with the balance board going, and Reggie comes out to play. He announces "My body- My body is ready." It became a meme. It's the Nintendo version of "FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS" and "So here's this giant enemy crab. And you attack its weak point... for massive damage."

funguy2121 said:
Remember, a lot of the reasoning behind the size/shape of the gamecube controller had to do with the smaller size of Japanese hands. I'm sure the controller won't be too big or bulky to be comfortable.
Did I say anything was wrong with the GameCube controller? No. So don't act like I did, please. I thought the GameCube controller was just fine. And you should remember that it didn't have a touch screen over 6 inches in size in the middle of it.

Plinglebob said:
Again, none of them were big square blocky looking things with a giant touch screen in the middle. This is a new kind of controller, and pointing at all their previous traditional controllers doesn't do much to say that something so different will be comfortable.

Plus, I think you forgot about this monstrosity: http://n64controller.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/n64controller.jpg
Please lay off the coke, or eat something, or otherwise deal with whatever is causing you to get so snarky with everyone without provocation. Plinglebob and I both made valid points that addressed your concerns.

What's odd here is that you put words into my mouth to put into your mouth. I didn't say that one thing that you said that I said that you said but didn't actually say. And yes, I did find that last sentence amusing. Please, calm down.

Also, how does having a screen make a controller uncomfortable?

You're discounting what we both brought up, that Nintendo has a history of making innovative, intuitive and ergonomic controllers. That is evidence which suggests that they would continue doing so.

You saw something online and assumed from its size (and apparently from the fact that it has a touchscreen) that it's uncomfortable - you have no idea of the materials and the weight. I thought the gamecube controller looked like a fischer price toy, until I put my hands on it. It's still my favorite.

I also wouldn't consider the N64 controller a "monstrosity." The leftmost third of the controller saw very little action, but I'm sure you'll agree we're all better off with analogue sticks and rumble and triggers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Wii U..... Really? Really?!

That's it, I am definitely building a gaming PC now.
Join us, we won't make you wave your hands about!