EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Is this where we find that EA is a company run by rabid monkeys? Come on man they need that money or they won't be able the no.1 sports car or they will have to settle for no.3.

Also more accessible apparently only applies to drooling, pre mature, gun fondling cod fans apparently. Not more races, strong female leads, people that don't like shooters, age groups or anything else at all really.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Vault101 said:
blackrave said:
And it surprises people how?
Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Command&Conquer, Mass Effect
And those are only IPs I personally care for (from those I can remember from the top of my head)
How much more IPs they butchered over years, how much companies went along?
Dead Space 3 will suck?
No shit, Dead Space 2 already started to suck.
actually I think Dead Space 2 was better in alot of ways
That might be true but you can't argue it wasn't dumbed down already. This should be a lesson to anyone STOP BUYING DUMBED DOWN SEQUELS. Doing so sends a message to EA and other developers that WE LIKE OUR GAMES BEING DUMBED DOWN.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
That might be true but you can't argue it wasn't dumbed down already. This should be a lesson to anyone STOP BUYING DUMBED DOWN SEQUELS. Doing so sends a message to EA and other developers that WE LIKE OUR GAMES BEING DUMBED DOWN.
how was it dumbed down? (Its been a while since I played DA1)

and I'll buy a game if I like it...regardless if some people think its dumbed down

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Oh EA, why do you do this to a series I enjoy so? You had it perfect with DS, but then you made it more shootery and added MP of all things to DS2. For Shame!

McJobless

Jan 23, 2012
Could someone please replace the EA Board of Directors with people who are competent? Much appreciated.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I think what they actually mean is: "Screw the fans, there's more money in making a shooter."

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Basically, what he's saying is:

"The Cocaine trough is empty and we need an absolute crapload of money to fill it again. Because we've made utterly moronic decisions over the last few years desperately trying to be Acti-Blizzard, our slush funds are all empty too. The only even remotely AAA title we have in the works at the moment is Dead Space 3 so it has to bear the burden of pulling us out of the red"

And seriously, you morons who think the publisher gets 50% of the sale price (I'm not even touching the idiots who think 100% goes to the publisher... sheesh), you really need to look up some very basic principles of business.

5 million sales equates to about $135 million to the publisher, the rest goes to the stores. They've already paid for the game to be made when they green-lit it however many years ago that was, so on DS3 have probably been sitting at -$25 to -$30 million for a year now. Assuming at least as much spent on marketing (and yes, you DO spend that much if you're EA) means EA are looking to be $50-60 million out of pocket before a single copy hits the shelves. Going by other industries, you'd want to at least match what you've spent in profit, so they want to make $50-60 million on top.
The rest is greed and covering for their poor practices elsewhere.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Im not much surprised by the "We're streamlining this game to become more of a shooter to appeal to a wider audience", fairly common market strategy, unfortunetly. Especielly from EA.

But five million units? That number puzzled me. Some of EA's most massive titles havent sold in 5 million units, how do they heck do they expect Dead Space 3 to manage?
Something is seriously wrong in the way EA does buisness. Not just morally, but financially.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Vault101 said:

and I'll buy a game if I like it...regardless if some people think its dumbed down

-Much MUCH easier
-Talking and personable protagonist as opposed to a hidden, non-talking one
-Variety. People like variety, even if it spoils the atmosphere
-Take away the map and turn the game into a giant linear pathway

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Vault101 said:

-Much MUCH easier
-Talking and personable protagonist as opposed to a hidden, non-talking one
-Variety. People like variety, even if it spoils the atmosphere
-Take away the map and turn the game into a giant linear pathway
Though, To be fair, how many people actually took the time to use the map system and not just do what I did- spam the locator system?

And I died a lot in DS2, especially on Zealot difficulty, even with epic tier weapons.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
5 million units in 3 months?
Yeah, maybe if you're Bethesda or Valve but right now everyone is turning their backs on you so you're REALLY gonna have to fucking try if you wanna push those numbers. Saying that you're gonna "Broaden the audience" (which is basically saying we're gonna take everything you liked about this series and turn it into Cover-based space shooter #12905) of a series, is a BAD way to do that.

I love the first Dead Space game, I was considering getting the sequel at some point this year. Now I'm wondering if I should bother.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So message from EA is buy the game and tell your friends and relatives to do so too if you don't want dead space to die a horrible death.

Wow, thats PR so sleazy i'm actually impressed by the ballsiness of it, "only 5 million copies".

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
oh look, and just like that any lingering chance of me buying this game have been stabbed in the face. What's with people's aversion to survival horror? Even if it was mostly just monster closet scares it was nice to have something like Dead Space lurching around and moaning. As it transitions into a full on action game I kind of hope this actually kills the franchise, if only to teach EA a lesson...which they'd probably ignore.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Why do people keep bringing up Mass Effect? I personally thought 2 and 3 didn't touch the quality of 1 ... but the simplification in 2 was a commercial success. The franchise destroying ending in 3 can hardly be scratched up to pandering to the lowest common denominator either, that was purely up to Mac Walters's ego and poor oversight (an ending which effectively kills the world for further games is never going to get approval at a managerial level, even if people who consider themselves artists lap that shit up).

Dragon Age 2 is a fine example though.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Iron Criterion said:
Fireprufe15 said:
One does not simply broaden a game's audience.

There are different game genres for a reason. What's happening now is publishers and developers are melting all the different genres into one stale and overused one. Have fun crashing the video game industry, have fun.
With the state of the industry today, I'm left wondering if it crashing would actually be a good thing. The North American video game crash of '83 - '85 was followed by one of the greatest generations of the Golden Age of Gaming and by extent the NES; maybe if the same thing happened again it'd path the way for indie developers and actual innovation.
You've got a point there. Then again, that would mean a few years without ANY good games...

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
"We want to advertise to a broader audience". Copy, paste on google translate, set settings to: Translate from greedonia to english. Result: "We prefer moolah above artistic value."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Spaloooooka said:
$30?! WHAT??
MASS EFFECT 3 SOLD FOR ~£44.99!! THAT'S ~$70.01
Yes, $30/unit is a good estimate. Because that's what EA makes per game THROUGH RETAIL, and since EA makes most of their money through console sales (not Origin), they have to go through retail.

The retailer "middleman" hikes up the price per unit to what YOU see (~$70). That's the cost of going through retail.

(Of course, a point of obvious douchebaggery is that EA is still charging prices at parity with retailers online for Origin, even though they cut out the middleman with Origin.

It's their right to be sure, but they have no other reason than "Because we know you're gullible enough to buy it".)