EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

EA refutes Oddworld creator's claims that it tried to buy his team and suggests Lithium to help with his "paranoia and Tourette syndrome."

Lorne Lanning has been an exciting interviewee these past few days. Talking at the Eurogamer expo, the Oddworld creator heavily implied that EA had run into trouble with Russian gangsters over the title of Stranger's Wrath. Later, during an interview with Gamesindustry international, he recounted how he bravely turned down an acquisition offer from EA.

"When you say that to us we go 'fuck you very much', quite frankly. That's not a sustainable model, that's a hostile acquisition," Lanning said. "That's why we had to strive to get independent. Rather than get into bed with someone we knew was a horrible bed partner we said 'let's stay virgins for longer'."

Here's where things get exciting: EA says that never happened, and responded to Lanning's comments with a statement that some may find inappropriate.

"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company."

Though popularly associated with a compulsion to blurt out random obscenities, Tourette's syndrome actually covers a wide range of neuropsychiatric symptoms including vocal and physical tics. Because nothing says "funny" like uncontrollable twitching.

Putting aside the wild insensitivity of using a mental illness as an insult, the underlying conflict is interesting: Is EA lying, or was Lanning just trying to boost his indie cred by aiming a few barbs at an acceptable target? EA's reputation for aggressive studio acquisition does little to help its case, but at the same time, Lanning's indie posturing is also rather hollow. He fired most of the Oddworld Inhabitants staff at extremely short notice following the release of Stranger's Wrath, and the company has been a shell of its former self ever since. It's now chiefly concerned with "directing" HD re-releases of its previous titles, all of which are developed by other teams.

Source: Gamesindustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-01-ea-refutes-oddworld-acquisition-attempt-suggest-lithium-for-lanning]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
And maybe EA can take prozac to calm them down so they think before blurting out bullshit.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Oh God.

May I formally predict the brewing shittornado as I sprint for the shelters?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I may need to get some sleep as I initially read that as Mentally 3, and was confused at why you didn't just put the number.

And I'm tempted to side with Lanning just because I like his analogy more. Instead of, you know, using mental illness as an insult.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sucks to hear about how the staff where treated after the release of Strangers Wrath, that was a great game with an awesome world and atmosphere and great gameplay with its hybrid FPS/third person beat em up.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
We'll see for how much longer Jeff Brown will keep his job. The rest of EA is most certainly not amused -- considering how they already have enough PR issues.

As to who tells the truth...I have no idea.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Whether or not EA is correct, using a mental illness as an insult is something I would expect to find in Youtube comments, not coming form a mouth of a spokesman for a large company.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Bloodstain said:
We'll see for how much longer Jeff Brown will keep his job. The rest of EA is most certainly not amused -- considering how they already have enough PR issues.

As to who tells the truth...I have no idea.
I'm not even sure. Retarded PR seems to be a company tradition. Remember they also had a hilarious slapfight with Activision over CoD vs. Battlefield.

But hey, it's two guys whose dignity and future employment I really couldn't care less about having it on in public - perfect opportunity to grab some popcorn, and enjoy the hilarity.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Not very professional but frankly, EA's got a right there to be a liiiittle bit touchy, because that is some nasty slander to begin with.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company."
How about "integrity"? Do you remember that?
it is EA so probably not ...

ether way, nether side has a leg to stand on here, ones acting just as juvenile as the other

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Is this the same EA that is haphazardly sponsoring miscellaneous socially-progressive causes in a ham-fisted PR campaign?

Yes it is...

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
EA, we both know you've done a lot of shit you'd rather we forgot, but you do not, you do not, bad mouth the creator of Oddworld.

...Lanning's indie posturing is also rather hollow. He fired most of the Oddworld Inhabitants staff at extremely short notice following the release of Stranger's Wrath, and the company has been a shell of its former self ever since. It's now chiefly concerned with "directing" HD re-releases of its previous titles, all of which are developed by other teams.

...Oh. Well screw that guy too then, I'm out!

EDIT: Also using mental conditions as insults is bad, mmm'kay?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Tahaneira said:
Oh God.

May I formally predict the brewing shittornado as I sprint for the shelters?
Is a shittornado more or less damaging than Mortal Kombat's Soulnado?

To be honest, neither EA or Lanning have exactly been classy with how they've handled this. I'm kinda tempted to take EA's spokesperson and Lanning by the earlobes like an overbearing mother, and tell those two whippersnappers to take it outside.

Seriously, that's just bad PR on both sides.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
... God dammit, Jeff Brown. No matter who's right or wrong here, you can't just insult someone by saying they have a serious mental disorder!

I don't care if the Oddworld guy is lying or if EA is lying, though EA's reputation doesn't do them any favours, Brown's comment was seriously out of line. To be fair, though, Lanning wasn't exactly a gentleman either. "Fuck you very much," indeed.

My jimmies are SO rustled right now. Like, what the hell?! EA could have at least responded without resorting to ad hominem. Then they'd only be suspected of lying, not suspected of lying and known to have insulted their challenger. And Lanning didn't need to use expletives, either.

I'm outta here, and I'm taking my cookies and tea with me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
To quote or paraphrase probably several comedians: WHY THE FUCK IS THIS NEWS?!

More On Topic: Dude, you don't say that about anybody. It makes you a dick. Okay, in this case, MORE of a dick.

Teacakes

Sep 5, 2012
I do hope nobody's going to say "I'm siding with X" in this thread. Both parties are behaving like 13-year-olds over Ventrilo.