EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Using mental illness as an insult is nothing new. No matter how "professional" you expect EA or Lanning to be, we've heard worse from politicians to newscasters to even some articles on this website(the cam-whore comment that was edited due to bad taste in a recent article about the Philippines).

My point is Lanning was unprofessional first, yet the title of this article slams just EA. Come on now, EA's rep is pretty bad but not judging Lanning in the title as well seems to give a slanted view right off the bat.

At least Lanning's lackluster decisions have been made to light in this article. Seeing as how Stranger's Wrath HD finally came to Steam almost a year after its console counterparts, I can't really say that Just Add Water is doing well with or without EA owning them.

But that will be ignored because most people take any chance to bash EA as a buffet.Helps them sleep better at night.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Someone swears a bunch and someone else makes an offhand comment about him having tourettes. I'm sorry, but so what? They weren't using tourettes as an insult, they were making the comparison of 'guy swears a lot, like someone with tourettes or something' (which yes, isn't true all of the time, but it's how it's viewed by a large portion of society, which no, isn't good and better education is needed. Hell, I'm schizophrenic, I know what it's like for everyone to get your illness wrong, but to call EA out of it, rather than, you know, everyone, is just bull)

Are you telling me you've never referred to something as 'crazy', 'retarded' 'the ref must be blind' or something along those lines? Or you heard your friend say something along those lines (or even someone cursing having tourettes, this isn't an EA invention) and didn't care because it's a complete non issue? This is such a pandering case of trying to make a story out of nothing. Hey, EA is quite hated, let's trawl through everything they say to find something we can stretch into a headline and desperately grab some page hits.

Really, all you can argue is unprofessionalism, but the comment that started it was 'fuck you very much', so it clearly isn't a professional conversation.

But basically, this really doesn't seem like news. It's horse race journalism. And it's pointless and petty.

tl;dr: It's political correctness gone mad!!!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
supersupersuperguy said:
... God dammit, Jeff Brown. No matter who's right or wrong here, you can't just insult someone by saying they have a serious mental disorder!

I don't care if the Oddworld guy is lying or if EA is lying, though EA's reputation doesn't do them any favours, Brown's comment was seriously out of line.

My jimmies are SO rustled right now. Like, what the hell?! They could have at least responded without resorting to ad hominem. Then they'd only be suspected of lying, not suspected of lying and known to have insulted their challenger.

I'm outta here, and I'm taking my cookies and tea with me.
They responded to rudeness with rudeness. To me it seems like dialogue from your average Family Guy episode. If Lanning didn't drop the word 'fuck' and imply bed-wetting, I doubt EA would have responded the way they did. Can't say what they did was right, but ignoring the catalyst of the response is kind of silly, no?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Bobic said:
Someone swears a bunch and someone else makes an offhand comment about him having tourettes. I'm sorry, but so what? They weren't using tourettes as an insult, they were making the comparison of 'guy swears a lot, like someone with tourettes or something' (which yes, isn't true all of the time, but it's how it's viewed by a large portion of society, which no, isn't good and better education is needed. Hell, I'm schizophrenic, I know what it's like for everyone to get your illness wrong, but to call EA out of it, rather than, you know, everyone, is just bull)

Are you telling me you've never referred to something as 'crazy', 'retarded' 'the ref must be blind' or something along those lines? Or you heard your friend say something along those lines (or even someone cursing having tourettes, this isn't an EA invention) and didn't care because it's a complete non issue? This is such a pandering case of trying to make a story out of nothing. Hey, EA is quite hated, let's trawl through everything they say to find something we can stretch into a headline and desperately grab some page hits.

Really, all you can argue is unprofessionalism, but the comment that started it was 'fuck you very much', so it clearly isn't a professional conversation.

But basically, this really doesn't seem like news. It's horse race journalism. And it's pointless and petty.

Pretty much this. Everyone in this thread who seems to be on a high horse about EA making fun of mental illness has laughed at South Park, Family Guy, and comedians such as Doug Stanhope, guaranteed. The title of this article boggles my mind as it sets the tone that only EA was rude here. Clearly not the case.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Standing at the side line, there is not any reason for me to stand behind on of these guys. They both made silly comments on bases that are shady at best. Both are really being unprofessional and this shows that developers also can be assholes.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Bobic said:

Pretty much this. Everyone in this thread who seems to be on a high horse about EA making fun of mental illness has laughed at South Park, Family Guy, and comedians such as Doug Stanhope, guaranteed. The title of this article boggles my mind as it sets the tone that only EA was rude here. Clearly not the case.
Comedians pull stunts like that to be funny, its their job.

Jeff Brown is EA's corporate spokesman, the 'voice' of the company if you will. He (and by extension EA) used it as an insult, something that I have stated before you would expect form a youtube comment, not from a large corporation.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
EA PR, only you can act like a total schizophrenic asshole and a constipated retard at the same time!

CAPTCHA: "BEEN THERE"

Agreed; I've been through this song and dance before.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Both of these groups are equally untrustworthy, and both are probably partially right and are now trying to stretch the truth to make it appear as though their side is correct while the other is lying and exploiting the children for their own benefit. EA probably made some offer of acquisition, but probably didn't offer a jet and a ferrari.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I'd say I'm more suspicious of Lanning but yea, both people here are being rather immature and I'm voting both get knocked off their jobs one way or another.
Captcha: "Allergic Reaction." Ouch. Even the Captchas have allergic reactions to EA threads. I know the forums tend to get some serious inflammation, but I didn't know it was that commmon. *awesomeface*

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Where in the name of God does EA find these so-called spokespersons?

:EA Interview Process:

"Erm, Hello Mr., uh, Smith. Thank you for coming in today to interview for haha.. interviewing for... Buahahah... for Muahahaha my sides!!!!

...spokesperson. What are your qualifications?"

"I yelled at a kid once for hitting the front of my lifted truck with his head at thirty miles per hour."

"Excellent! Can you insult adults too?"

"well, did I fuck your mom last night like no one's business?"

"And how do you feel about professional conduct in the work place?"

"I steal office supplies regularly and slap the intern's asses."

"You're hired! Welcome to EA!"

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
A Public Spokesman used a mental illness as an insult in a PUBLIC STATEMENT? How... STUPID do you have to be? The public backlash is going to CRUSH them.

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
When both sides start throwing shit, I'm more likely to go with the one that didn't spew canned Youtube comments section insults.
I mean, hell, those Autism jokes were never funny. I have a friend that's diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and it's not something that should be joked about and less used as an insult. It just shows the immaturity of EA.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
And in this corner, with a reputation for hostile take overs of beloved studios and releasing the SAME game over and over and over again! EA!

*Crowd: Boooo, hissss!*

And in this corner, a guy who not many remember and less knew about to begin with, Lorne Lanning!

*Crowd: Hrmm?*

The guy who seems to have some how fucked up the company who made Oddworld.

*Crowd: BOOOO, HISSSS!*

Fellow Escapists...

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
supersupersuperguy said:
... God dammit, Jeff Brown. No matter who's right or wrong here, you can't just insult someone by saying they have a serious mental disorder!

I don't care if the Oddworld guy is lying or if EA is lying, though EA's reputation doesn't do them any favours, Brown's comment was seriously out of line.

My jimmies are SO rustled right now. Like, what the hell?! They could have at least responded without resorting to ad hominem. Then they'd only be suspected of lying, not suspected of lying and known to have insulted their challenger.

I'm outta here, and I'm taking my cookies and tea with me.
They responded to rudeness with rudeness. To me it seems like dialogue from your average Family Guy episode. If Lanning didn't drop the word 'fuck' and imply bed-wetting, I doubt EA would have responded the way they did. Can't say what they did was right, but ignoring the catalyst of the response is kind of silly, no?
I understand where you're coming from, and I think you'd be very glad to know that I had edited my post before you posted this. I guess you quoted it before the edits went through, but I essentially pointed out that Lanning wasn't being a fair, either. So it's both sides that are at fault here.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
I like the EA guys comments. They display an appropriate level of disdain for the situation.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Oh come on! That's not what a PR rep should say, it's something I would expect from a paraplegic with down syndrome.

How did I do? Better/worse than EA?