EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Both EA and this guy are immature 5 year olds. Talk about making the industry look bad as a whole.

Bonus immaturity points for EA for using a medical condition like Tourette's as an insult.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Some days i look at things developers do or say and just wander one thing: PR, do these people understand what the hell it means?

Again, i know not all developers act like this but...it's rather glaring seeing "Professional businessmen" act like this.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Well if anything is to be said about EA it is that they are not afraid to say fuck off and die to anyone. Including homophobes, customers, and developers. I have to kind of admire them for that despite how much they piss me off about other things.

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
...Hoo boy, someone pass the popcorn, this one's gonna be messy. In the immortal words of Shakespeare, cry fury, and let slip the dogs of war...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
He fired most of the Oddworld Inhabitants staff at extremely short notice following the release of Stranger's Wrath, and the company has been a shell of its former self ever since. It's now chiefly concerned with "directing" HD re-releases of its previous titles, all of which are developed by other teams.
Wow, I had absolutely no idea that was what happened to Oddworld Inhabitants. That's really awful to hear, that team created some of the most memorable games of my childhood. Do you happen to have any source with greater detail on the matter? I'm not doubting you here, I just would like to learn more about what happened to one of my favorite studios.

EDIT: After doing my own research and looking up some very old articles, it seemed like after EA completely screwed over Stranger's Wrath, Lanning had absolutely no choice but to cut losses and do everything in his power to keep Oddworld alive. Even if it was a shell of its former self.

I'm not standing up for the guy or anything nor am I going to scream that EA is the devil, but it really does seem to me that he is just doing everything he can possibly think of to keep the Oddworld brand alive. He even spent thousands of his own money to fly to America to speak to and learn from Gabe Newell himself. Even if this was a lie and a publicity stunt, I will cheer for his success and the future of the Oddworld series.

EDIT 2: Jesus, has it really been six years sine Citizen Siege was first announced? It's hard to believe it would still be alive after all this time but if it is, I sure as hell hope we get the movie/game we all hoped for.

Still can't find anything about Hand of Odd besides a few sourceless rumors and one very odd fansite.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I just realized that this is yet another EA stunt to remain relevant in the headlines as their stocks continue to fall. They always seem to do this when their stocks dip.

Maybe this time we should just ignore them and maybe their stocks won't rise enough for this decline to be another "dip". Or maybe they'll just flail around and stop being EA-evil and start being Ubisoft-stupid.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Here's Lanning's reply to EA:

"Your mother smelled of hamsters, and your father was an elderberry!"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

I have Tourette's.

You know, EA, it's pretty hard to outright offend me...

...but you managed it.

I would like to recommend giving Ritalin to all of your PR team, so that they'll lose all their personality (stopping comments like this) and helping them remember how their jobs work.

Alternatively, please die.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
EA, there is a right way and a wrong way to respond to stupid-crazy. "With more stupid-crazy" is the WRONG way.

[small]Seriously, why do companies even have PR departments anymore? They'd get more mileage from their money with an 8th grader on day 5 of skipping his Ritalin.[/small]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blablahb said:
I thought my view of EA couldn't possible be made any worse than it already was, but that rude inapropriate insult towards Lanning did the trick.

What a bunch of assholes.

And after their fire that spokesman as a scapegoat to take the fallout, he probably shouldn't embark on a new career as a pharmacist; lithium is an anti-psychotic and anti-depressant and used for treating bipolar disorder, especially the manic or hypomanic episodes.

If you're going to toss insults at someone, at the very least don't come across as totally ignorant.
Not to mention that very few Tourette's sufferers are the swearing-up-and-down kind (the stats I've read say that 0.1% of people have Tourette's, and 1% of them have the swearing issue, or "coprolalia", which translates to "feces mouth"). This means on in a hundred thousand people has coprolalia. Compare to the amount of people who swear regularly, and you'll find that assuming people have coprolalic Tourette's just because they swear simply isn't likely to be correct... at all.

So that's a double fact-fail in one sentence.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I always say this, but whoever is in charge of the PR department at EA is being payed FAR too much, in fact, they deserve to have money taken away from them.

I like to imagine that through the doors to the PR offices of EA one finds a room full of mass destruction, feces flung on the walls and floors, unintelligible writhing masses of human shapes gurgling about in their own wretched filth.

Nobody ever wants to have to deal with that mess, so nobody at EA speaks of that room, and they all just pretend it doesn't exist.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
*In Michael Buffer Voice* Let's get ready to RUUUUUUUMBBBBBLE!

I wanted to make a Rumbleman reference there, but couldn't figure out the best way to do it.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Lithium is the primary medication for bipolar disorder, to treat paranoia and tourettes you usually use neuroleptica such as Olanazapine. Just saying...

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
Tahaneira said:
Oh God.

May I formally predict the brewing shittornado as I sprint for the shelters?
Is a shittornado more or less damaging than Mortal Kombat's Soulnado?
Less damaging. However, it is far more irritating and may induce an urge to go out into the street and punch a stranger in the face.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
The fanboy in me really wants to shout at EA. No one gets to insult Oddworld, even if they are a massive shell of former awesome. Especially not EA.