EA Defends Origin From Hardcore Crowd

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
RvLeshrac said:
The difference is that Steam was the first serious digital distribution network. They made plenty of mistakes.

Origin has the benefit of a decade of Steam's mistakes, yet they continue to make *EXACTLY THE SAME ONES*. They're even managing to make the mistakes that Steam managed to not only avoid, but explicitly called out so that other distribution networks would be able to benefit from those experiences.

That's the problem people have with Origin: This is the year 2012, and they've produced a service that isn't even as good as Steam was *when it launched*.
You have very bad memory of when Steam launched my friend.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Um...no. I'm sorry EA, but you can't pull that "we're new and you hated Steam when it was new!" bullshit with me. Origin is NOT new. It's a reskin of your years old EADM with a few new features and more exclusives.

You failed to learn from your mistakes in the past. You failed to learn from Valve's and other DD services mistakes in the past and present. And, I can not foresee you ever learning or adjusting in the future. (let alone consider your player base as customers instead of consumers and pirates)

I actually somewhat hoped Origin would be "good". If only so Steam would have a solid competitor beyond GoG. (so Valve would start adding more features more quickly. I'm greedy that way.) But, I was a fool. Why I expected anything smart or decent from post-2008 EA is beyond me. :/

Waaghpowa said:
The difference with Steam and Origin is that Valve made up for it in the end. How likely is it that EA will make up for it in any way? Their PC games are still 60 dollars.
Seventy now. Just look at the new Medal of Honor pre-orders. Seems they've beaten Activision to the punch in terms of "raising game prices by 10 dollars a year until players complain". [sub](Oh Bobby Kotick, you precocious scamp.)[/sub]

Unless, of course, EA is charging an extra 10 dollars to pre-order a DIGITAL COPY of a game exclusive to THEIR OWN GOD DAMNED SERVICE.

Which, thinking on it now, would not surprise me.

Sober Thal said:
When STEAM launched, my friends and I hated it with a fiery passion.

It sucked ass, and was pointless.
I felt the same, for the most part. It was God awful in the beginning.

But thanks to time, effort, and listening to community feedback Valve has made it into (at least for me) the preferred service for my gaming needs.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
cursedseishi said:
Saviordd1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
EA's answer to every criticism: We didn't do anything wrong, YOU'RE all just haters.
And ENTITLED ones at that!

Oops sorry that last bit was actually Bioware's white knights.
As a Biodrone I take offense, we all hate EA.

OT: Origin, fix yourself then judge others please.
Well obviously there is a difference. You can be a Bioware fan but hate the current crop of shit being poured out by them and EA like a pair of symbiotic beings who decide to go parasite on a third party. You know, loving Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire, pretty much anything released before Dragon Age 2.

Then you got the apologistic sect who doesn't see any differentiation between the Bioware then and the EA/Bioware-Mythic creature now.

Kind of like how you have Old Squaresoft who made kick-ass Final Fantasies and a whole lot of other sweet games, and the Square-Enix now who stumbles about and can never really reach that sweet point like they could.
To be FAIR, ME3 was mostly good and DA2 had good...

umm....

Had good characters I guess.

Nov 28, 2007
Saviordd1 said:
cursedseishi said:
Saviordd1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
EA's answer to every criticism: We didn't do anything wrong, YOU'RE all just haters.
And ENTITLED ones at that!

Oops sorry that last bit was actually Bioware's white knights.
As a Biodrone I take offense, we all hate EA.

OT: Origin, fix yourself then judge others please.
Well obviously there is a difference. You can be a Bioware fan but hate the current crop of shit being poured out by them and EA like a pair of symbiotic beings who decide to go parasite on a third party. You know, loving Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire, pretty much anything released before Dragon Age 2.

Then you got the apologistic sect who doesn't see any differentiation between the Bioware then and the EA/Bioware-Mythic creature now.

Kind of like how you have Old Squaresoft who made kick-ass Final Fantasies and a whole lot of other sweet games, and the Square-Enix now who stumbles about and can never really reach that sweet point like they could.
To be FAIR, ME3 was mostly good and DA2 had good...

umm....

Had good characters I guess.
Actually, post EC, I'd say Bioware has been forgiven by me for the initial problems with ME3, and I'd even call it the best in the series now. See, that's what a good company does. It listens to the fans. We complained about the ending, and rightfully so, and Bioware fixed it.

DA2, yeah, that was not a great game.

On-topic, EA can bite me. I don't play many PC games anyways, due to a rather behind-the-times laptop (seriously, I'm running a Radeon HD 6320 graphics card and an AMD Brazos Dual Core 1.65 GHz CPU), but charging $60 for DIGITAL games, and no sales short of a blood anniversary? That's not changing.

Nov 28, 2007
Deviate said:
thebobmaster said:
Actually, post EC, I'd say Bioware has been forgiven by me for the initial problems with ME3, and I'd even call it the best in the series now. See, that's what a good company does. It listens to the fans. We complained about the ending, and rightfully so, and Bioware fixed it.
Adding more feces to the turd at the end of ME3 does not 'fix' the ending.
You didn't like what was added, I did. It fixed my problems with the endings which were the plot holes, the mass relays getting destroyed, and a lack of feeling of accomplishment. The ending's not perfect, don't get me wrong. But it is, to me, now satisfying, and that's all I ask.

Nov 28, 2007
Deviate said:
thebobmaster said:
Deviate said:
thebobmaster said:
Adding more feces to the turd at the end of ME3 does not 'fix' the ending.
You didn't like what was added, I did. It fixed my problems with the endings which were the plot holes, the mass relays getting destroyed, and a lack of feeling of accomplishment. The ending's not perfect, don't get me wrong. But it is, to me, now satisfying, and that's all I ask.
And yet, Bioware didn't listen to 'the fans'. If they had, there'd be at least one ending that made any kind of sense and actually followed the running theme of the games. They're not an example of a company that 'does the right thing'. They've proven several times now that the reason everything they say sounds weird is because of how snugly EA's dick fits in their throats.
All the endings fit in with the theme of the third game, that there is no victory that comes without a cost. I'm not sure how you missed that point that was hammered in over and over again. If you are talking about the Catalyst, yes, I agree, faulty logic that goes against what you've proven, yadayada. But I liked the fact that it was one situation that Shepard could not talk hir way out of. A hard choice had to be made, and there was no way around it.

Edit: And I'm dragging things off-topic, so if you want to debate me further, let's do it over PM.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Therumancer said:
Let me be honest, nobody with half a brain likes digital distribution even a little bit.
Have you heard of "gog.com"?

You haven't? Oh. OK. Just asking.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Someone answer me this:

Has it always been the standard operating procedure in companies to blame the customer for their own shortcomings? Every time you complain to anyone about any product, service, or whatever...the first thing they do is blame you. After years of this, you'd think some of them - any of them - would realize that the fault lies not in the customer at all.

There use to be something about the customer always being right. The very core of what's wrong with business is that this has changed to 'blame the customer - your source of income - for everything'. This happens all over the place, and EA will probably stick to that gun like the last fucking hope in the cosmos. Shame it's backing the wrong horse.

Steam isn't exactly perfect itself. I've had problems on there, and they sometimes try to blame me too even when I explain thoroughly and with as many details how much that is impossible, but the concensus here appears to be that they're not as bad, so...yay.

Oh, and please yes let me here from that guy who dared call me out for saying EA was voted as a horrible company. I see a thread full of people who might find your arguments less than compelling!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sseth said:
"EA defends capitalism"
Less "EA defends capitalism" more EA showing us what happens when producers don't adapt or in Origins case adapt poorly, loss of market share and lack of consumer support.

And when you are going against the juggernaut that is Steam you need every advantage that you can get, not excuses that are over 7 years out of date.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Someone answer me this:

Has it always been the standard operating procedure in companies to blame the customer for their own shortcomings? Every time you complain to anyone about any product, service, or whatever...the first thing they do is blame you. After years of this, you'd think some of them - any of them - would realize that the fault lies not in the customer at all.

There use to be something about the customer always being right. The very core of what's wrong with business is that this has changed to 'blame the customer - your source of income - for everything'. This happens all over the place, and EA will probably stick to that gun like the last fucking hope in the cosmos. Shame it's backing the wrong horse.

Steam isn't exactly perfect itself. I've had problems on there, and they sometimes try to blame me too even when I explain thoroughly and with as many details how much that is impossible, but the concensus here appears to be that they're not as bad, so...yay.

Oh, and please yes let me here from that guy who dared call me out for saying EA was voted as a horrible company. I see a thread full of people who might find your arguments less than compelling!
That wouldn't be me would it? Cause if it is, kinda funny you wasted the time to remember something so insignifcant. But since you brought it up, yes the whole event itself was a complete joke. But as long as it adds fuel to your fire of interest you'll look the other way I'm sure.

But hey, if it gets you off to know that your preferred DRM program is "better" than another, whatever floats your boat. I've seen pettier things to argue about on the internet, but this is pretty close to the top.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Yeah... after you tried to stick the "We have the right to view everything you do ever, and every file on your PC" thing into your agreement, my mind is never going to change.

No EA. You are not like Steam. You will never be like Steam. Steam is everything together, in one (semi) glorious browser of savings. Your Origins is EA, and all the crap EA puts out these days. Anything good you will ever do, will be vastly overshadowed by the bad you've done in the past.

I will personally never give a kind would about EA anymore. I might say "Oh, Dice did their best on making BF", or maybe "Bioware is doing everything they can at this moment to support us", but EA will never deserve a single word of praise from me.

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
At the end of the day, all other issues aside, my prime issue with Origin is simple. EA has proven repeatedly that they will not continue to run an online service that is not successful enough, which means that I have uncertainty that my games will continue to be available one EA decides that Origin has failed.

I know that some folks have the same concern with Steam, and I do not claim that it is an invalid concern, but at least Valve has given us no reason to EXPECT this to happen.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I actually have no problem with Origin and I use it quite often to play Dragon age, Mass Effect, The Sims and The Witcher 2.
They look around my computer if they really want because I have nothing to hide. I only use my desktop to game so that is all they'll find. Mind you, they might find my shameless collection of Nancy Drew mysteries and hold it against me when I complain about their shitty patch updates for Sims.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I am more than willing to give Origin a try, even though I heard and read plenty of opinions that say that it's atrocious, but the problem is: I can't.

Origin was installed with SWTOR, even though you didn't need to log into Origin, it needed to be installed, otherwise the entire game wouldn't install. Not exactly a positive start, but let's roll with it. A couple of days after installing Origin, I figured I would try to log in and see what all the hubbub was about.

I couldn't log in. My EA account (used for that dread online pass system), wasn't accepted. So I figured I would make a new account, so I registered my e-mail adress and it said that it has already been taken. Weird. So I figured that maybe I wasn't using the right password, I clicked the 'forgot password' option and I would receive an e-mail to reset it.

We are now 7 days further and I have yet to receive anything.

So yeah, I am willing to give EA the benefit of the doubt, but their own system keeps me locked out. One heck of a security program if you ask me.