EA DICE Manager: We're Not Just a "Battlefield Factory"

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Want to be taken seriously as a game developer rather than a factory production line? Prove yourself to be a game developer, make some new games, don't just remake the same one every year with a couple new guns.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
As it has been mentioned multiple times in this thread:

Make something other than Battlefield (preferably Mirrors Edge 2) and then we'll believe you.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bullshit.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/79084.html
Apart from Mirror's Edge, that's literally all your company has done since you went from Digital Illusions to EA DICE.

So tell me another one.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
For those clamoring about mirrors edge 2. From what I understand the game was a commercial flop. If that is true, then why should they bother with a sequel? Who would be the target audience? There are reasons that a game flops and if it is because no one is interested enough in buying a game, why bother spending money on what may amount to a money sink?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DICE-Sees-a-Market-for-Mirror-s-Edge-2-226698.shtml

For the sake of argument they make a Mirrors Edge 2 and it again is a commercial flop, no matter how good it may have been I would agree with the idea of no more sequels.
This happens a lot though. At and near launch, which is the time window that EA looks at for sales numbers, people didn't catch on and heard "parkour, short campaign" and the new sales didn't come in. Word of mouth in person and on forums led people to try it, and I'd bet the used sales are crazy. Or even from the steam sales. It took too long, but now people know just what they missed and want more of it.

Tim Schafer isn't a sequel guy but I'm positive a Psychonauts sequel would sell like crazy. Tons of people are clamoring for Beyond Good and Evil 2, even though the sales were horrible. What would really be nice was if publishers looked at the long-term sales numbers the way indie guys do, and not let games do or die in the first month or whatever. I also don't remember much marketing at all for Mirror's Edge, which didn't help much either.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
I'm hardly surprised so many others feel the same way I did when I read the title.

If you don't want to be seen as a "battlefield factory" you kinda.. oh I don't know.. release other games?
Seriously, mirrors edge came out how many years now? they've probably released other games but I'll be honest, I only remember them for Mirrors Edge and Battlefield, the former slipping further and further away as time passes.

So, to repeat exactly what everyone else is saying cause we seemingly all feel the same way

Release Mirrors Edge 2 then you dolts, then we might actually remember you for something else *shock horror*

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
They need to go back to producing the original Battlefield games with massive maps, more varied combat and a mod friendly environment since they have Desert Combat to thank for the current direction the franchise has taken.

Heck, even a mere update of BF42 would be welcome.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
The Battlefield game has taken a life of it's own. No matter what EA says, I'm pretty sure they will live in the shadow of Battlefield. Not that it's a bad thing though.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
You can so easily imagine EA in the background muttering "Anything you like as long as the next battlefield ships on schedule and sells like sex."

And now I wanna play MirEdg again, too. o.o;

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
And here I tend to regard them as a pinball simulation factory.
...maybe my focus isn't exactly recent... ;)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hahahaha... This made my day. Guess Jimquisition was right when they defend their bull shit.

I'll take them seriously when they make a game that isn't in a FPS view. I really wish they would, they may prove to better at something else since I still find all these latest FPS games pathetic.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Definitely would love to see a Mirror's Edge 2. Just seriously, longer. The first was rather short, and if you discounted the last couple of levels which were all about combat (why?!), even shorter still.

I suspect much the reason it was a commercial flop came down to combat-related negative reviews. The first stage was arguably the best, and wasn't there a demo of that? I distinctly recall one reviewer suggesting if you've played the demo, don't bother with the full purchase because you've played the best part.

Some more "mundane" open and free-flowing delivery stages interspacing the major story pieces (give players the choice of three stages to attempt: completing two passes sufficient time until the next tipoff or rendezvous or whatever plot point) would've gone down a treat.

antidark777

Aug 12, 2009
If they were to make a mirrors edge 2, i'd like to see more freerunning, less shooting, more using your hands and wits to get around enemies and obstacles. The shooting should be reserved for few and far between points.
Also the soundtrack for the first game was incredible, more of that. Seriously,the music when youre climbing the scaffolding to get to the sniping position...

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Finally, damn. Been wondering when news of new DICE stuff was gonna show up. Great studio could be making so much more than just Battlefield (........Mirror's Edge 2.......)I'm going to an EXPO later this month where EA and DICE are making an appearance. I'll be sure to coax some more info out of them, just gotta stock up on some more chloroform first.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
antidark777 said:
If they were to make a mirrors edge 2, i'd like to see more freerunning, less shooting, more using your hands and wits to get around enemies and obstacles. The shooting should be reserved for few and far between points.
Also the soundtrack for the first game was incredible, more of that. Seriously,the music when youre climbing the scaffolding to get to the sniping position...
It's unforgettable. This game introduced me to electronic ambient music. Solar Fields made the sound track for Mirror's Edge. Some other good similar artists are Aes Dana and Zero Cult.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Actually, now I think about it some more, a good solution for a Mirror's Edge sequel would involve a game just as short as the original, but with multiple endings to each stage and thus entire alternate versions of stages. Think 20 levels, but unlocking only 10 on your first playthrough. Serendipitously stumbling upon different plot points depending on which path you take that all converge on a single plot climax. Take a violence heavy route through a stage, and the subsequent stages it unlocks are more combat heavy. Focus on parkour, and the stages you unlock are more parkour heavy.

Sadly though, from press releases it seems sadly unlikely we'll ever see a Mirror's Edge 2. A Mirror's Edge Online perhaps, something with Demon's Souls type hands-off multiplayer at best, but not a strictly single player follow up.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
If DICE makes Mirror's Edge 2 it will singlehandedly save EA and the entire games industry from utter stagnation.

Is that cry for Mirror's Edge 2 thinly veiled enough for you?

Just make the fucking game already!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
Well, DICE, how about you put your (EA's) money where your mouth is and make Mirror's Edge 2 then?

(I was going to write this just by reading the title; I'm glad Andy seems to feel the same)
^This

Mirror's Edge 2 then that label might be lifted