EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is there anyone, anywhere, who believes this one bit? Anyone at all?

And just when will we be "ready" to be nickel and dimed to death?
I do, and it's just as you said. EA is trying to shape consumers to be barfing wallets, and we just aren't ready for that yet. What it innovated was the ways a game can monetize its customers, and in that respect, it was too innovative.

I shudder to think that they might be right in thinking that way, because people are buying their shit, or they would have been bankrupt years ago.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I cannot believe nobody has used this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o (embed codes don't seem to work for me, maybe I'm doing it wrong)

both are applicable, seriously the only way this makes sense is if EA is taking "no publicity is bad publicity" to it's logical conclusion, either that or Frank Gibeau is really sick of his job but has an aversion to quitting

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I love EA. They're always inventing new meanings for things we never considered before. DRM? No! It's an MMO! Too many microtransactions preventing you from playing the game? No! That's just INNOVATION that you can't handle! Do you even innovation, bro?

Seriously, can someone go over to EA, head into the PR department office, find the guy in charge and then slam his head through a fucking mahogany desk until it knocks sense into them or they die? And then cue up Ubisoft for the next time they stick a foot in their mouth too.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
You know what, EA? Carry on with all that talk. I want to see how deep you can dig yourselves.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
Everyone prepare your laughing gifs. I'll kick us off.(...)
Nobody tells me what to do! Nobody! Hahahahahaha!

OT: This sort of shit is exactly why EA are so shit.

JoJo said:
Heh, really? I've said it before and I'll say it again, the games industry really needs to work on their PR tactics, I swear every week we hear a few of the usual suspects running off their mouth when it would have been more advantageous just to keep quiet and hope people start to forget. You don't see many other industries running into this problem, I guess the video game industry still need time to mature. Anyhow, I couldn't find a decent laughing gif so I'll let Jim doing the talking for me:

At least one person in that organization needs to have their crack pipe taken away from them, or they'll never learn. Ah...today was a good day.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Nope, your game wasn't innovative at all. The original DK?, that's a damn fine game (no nostalgia glasses for it, got it for free in GOG, immediatly purchased DK2 afterwards).

This mobile... thing?.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010

There are still people defending this train wreck? Really? REALLY?

I'm reminded of the saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Except in this case, it should be "If you can't say anything intelligent, don't say anything at all." Just pretending DK didn't happen would have been a FAR more intelligent move than dredging it up again.

Stay classy, EA.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009

We seriously need a stickied thread just to collect the hypocritical dung that seeps from the puss-filled abominations known as "EA executives". One that just combines all the choicest quotes into a bite sized cornucopia of crap.

ObsidianJones said:
I really think we're all focusing on the wrong part of his Verbal Shitting the Bed.

As Gibeau said, "[W]hen you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair."
Just.. just spewing all the phrases and ideals that we as consumers honestly Do. Not. Want!

I don't want a community with gamers. Because that makes a lifespan. Get this through your head, developers. There's a market for only a few games or series that people will tolerate this for. I'm not saying there's a market for none. CoD, TF2, WoW, DoTA, LoL, L4D2? Yeah. They are miracles. They were there either the first or they were the best.

But frankly, usually when a game is dependent on a community, you're asking people to play full price for a game that will be useless in a few years. Who really wants that?

A Service? Can we as gamers ban together to shun any developer who uses this phrase? I don't want to pay for something that's not mine. No one does. I'm not trying to rent these games, I'm trying to put my money down to own them.

I don't get what happened with games. We got games to escape from Reality for a few minutes a day. Why did ever Designer get it in their head that all we really want in our escape is to be so connected you need to sign in to five other programs constantly and unyieldingly just so you can experience your relaxation?
That is also a very very good point, and one that we are missing due to the sheer insulting ignorance displayed elsewhere in the interview.

Sometimes I look at the games industry and wonder if in a few years there will be any AAA games left that don't pull all this anti-consumer bollocks on us.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Wow I... No EA, no.
You destroy stories, you've RUINED Westwood, and you blame your customers for your cash grab ripoff not selling? Screw you.

This is no different than investors buying a company, draining the pension fund, then firing everybody. When the heck did crappy American business practices become a part of gaming? I cannot wait for the day when the big game companies fail and we're "stuck" with small innovative studios who make games because they want to

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If EA were an auto company, their response to a safety recall would be, "People just weren't ready for breaks that might fail 50% of the time. We were too ahead of the curve".

Lesson here kids is that if someone calls you out on something you did wrong, always blame the people calling you out, because obviously it wasn't you're fault.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Oh God, they can't be that stupid.

I hope these statemetns are only there for the top circle investors who are so out of touch with reality, that they gladly eat this PR bullcrap handed to them by silver platter.

Jan 27, 2011
Dear Frank Gibeau...

I think someone needs to send this guy to the "how to reduce backlash" panel...

And then send him to Jim's version of the same panel, and get the flashdrive with the 10 second seminar shoved up his ass and see if he gets any retention from THAT (thankgodforjim!)

Just...There are only two possibilities here.

Either this guy knows what he's saying is bullshit and thinks everyone is stupid and needs to have fecal matter thrown at him, or he BELIEVES the shit he's saying and needs to be sent to a mental institution.

Neither one is good.

...I'd be willing to bet real money that EA will get the Worst company in america award again this year.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
(sarcasm: on)

Yes, it was a very innovative piece of software in the field of swindling as much money as possible. Oh, if only your money grubbing tactics were more gradual, it would've worked. Oh, if only you were more patient, people would have slowly become blind to what you were trying to do, and may have accepted it, and you might have gotten away with it. Oh, if only people were as stupid as you fucking hoped they were.

(sarcasm: off)

Because that's what he means when he says "innovative". It's just a buzzword he picked up from a list of buzzwords. This man sees customers exactly as Yahtzee has described: "one big consuming mouth wearing designer jeans filled with money".

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
There was NO INNOVATION. It's the same FUCKING recipe every other pay mobile game uses. They are all basically the same game with a different skin. Marketing doesn't mean a damn thing if what you are selling doesn't appeal to most people, least of all fans of the IP.

The Dungeon Keeper mobile game is an insult to the fans and the developers of the original. Trying to say it is anything else just makes you look stupid.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
BoogieManFL said:
There was NO INNOVATION. It's the same FUCKING recipe every other pay mobile game uses. They are all basically the same game with a different skin. Marketing doesn't mean a damn thing if what you are selling doesn't appeal to most people, least of all fans of the IP.

The Dungeon Keeper mobile game is an insult to the fans and the developers of the original. Trying to say it is anything else just makes you look stupid.
They innovated, they decided that 24 hours or $3 was a good idea.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
To be completely fair the guys is probably saying this garbage to push the blame to someone else so that he doesn't get fired.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
This is why I HATE PR guys. (And EA, but that horse has been flogged to death.) These are the guys who decide they can spin "naked cash-grab that exploits users' addictive behaviors to get them to bankrupt themselves" as "innovation" and "users saw through our corporate-mandated schemes" as "players just weren't ready for our product." I mean, GOD DAMN. How self-deluding do you have to be to make a career out of that?

Captcha: nest-egg. This is related to my comment SOMEHOW, I'm just not sure how.