EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Ok, now I am just confused. First they apologize for making the game bad... then they claim that it innovated to much? I mean, EA, get your shit together. Your bullshit streams are getting crossed. Is EA really so bad at being a video game company that they can't even properly bullshit their customers anymore?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
We innovated so hard we broke the game!!!
And it's ALL YOUR FAULT for not liking the game. Plebs. Read a painting once in a while, you never understand our art.

Typical games industry bullshit from people who's egos cannot comprehend being wrong, while their PR departments make up fake apologies.

Sep 24, 2008
I really think we're all focusing on the wrong part of his Verbal Shitting the Bed.

As Gibeau said, "[W]hen you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair."
Just.. just spewing all the phrases and ideals that we as consumers honestly Do. Not. Want!

I don't want a community with gamers. Because that makes a lifespan. Get this through your head, developers. There's a market for only a few games or series that people will tolerate this for. I'm not saying there's a market for none. CoD, TF2, WoW, DoTA, LoL, L4D2? Yeah. They are miracles. They were there either the first or they were the best.

But frankly, usually when a game is dependent on a community, you're asking people to play full price for a game that will be useless in a few years. Who really wants that?

A Service? Can we as gamers ban together to shun any developer who uses this phrase? I don't want to pay for something that's not mine. No one does. I'm not trying to rent these games, I'm trying to put my money down to own them.

I don't get what happened with games. We got games to escape from Reality for a few minutes a day. Why did ever Designer get it in their head that all we really want in our escape is to be so connected you need to sign in to five other programs constantly and unyieldingly just so you can experience your relaxation?

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
I'm under the impression now that EA is so focused on its target audience that they're not just ignoring the other demographics of gamers (that would be pissed with their antics), they're intentionally driving them away.

With that said, the only target audience I can see them directed towards is people who just don't pay attention or actively suspend belief to the crap EA pulls. As if the money spent and the business they run is all a game.

Repulsive.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
They innovated too hard, strong and deep, but they did few mistakes along the way
Remember kids these few simple rules when innovating
1.Innovation MUST be consensual;
2.If you want to innovate into tight holes ask before doing it;
3.Use lube (the tighter the hole, the more lube it requires);
4.Don't forget condom (safe innovation is healthy innovation).

By obeying these simple rules you should be able to innovate without a problem, EA.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
I don't get what happened with games. We got games to escape from Reality for a few minutes a day. Why did ever Designer get it in their head that all we really want in our escape is to be so connected you need to sign in to five other programs constantly and unyieldingly just so you can experience your relaxation?
Because World of Warcraft and Farmville happened, and demonstrated that social entrapment carries the potential for enormous sustainable profit; escapism or relaxation be damned.

As for games as a service, it's not just about making money now, but forever by monopolizing the player's time and charging for it. When suits say they want their business to establish closer relationships with their customers, I'm starting to believe them, but only because the relationship they want will be very one-sided; founded on addiction and control, not trust.

They are trying to establish the same relationship between a drug dealer and their stable of addicts, only legal.

That's legitimately horrifying to consider as a gamer, but from the eyes of a business, it's heaven on earth.
Through a service-centric endless addiction business model, never again will they need to toil to compete, or work hard to produce real quality content. Since such games are designed with no logical end to them, they can be monetized indefinitely or outmoded at will, as necessary.

That's the direction these large companies are working towards. The tech is there, the psychology has been hammered out.
All the pieces are in place except one: Selling it and getting the masses to accept it.

And you can bet titanic companies like EA will throw their weight into pressuring the market. From what I've seen from Frank Gibaeu's statements, they're obviously trying.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
My jaw nearly hit the floor when I read that. I thought to myself, surely there is a typo- there is no way he meant to say "innovate" but lo and behold, EA is as batshit crazy stupid as ever.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Whoever is in charge of the PR department seriousl?

Actually, it would make sense that there's no PR department with EA.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"[W]hen you bring in a group of suckers to Dungeon Keeper and you swindle them, create a live scam, a hostile relationship and a farce, you just can't pull the rug out from under the cash flow. That's just not fair to our profits."

There you go Frank, fixed your statement.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Oh my word this is fucking hysterical! What, did Ubisoft fire their PR man and EA took him on? Because there cannot possibly be two people on earth who are this laughably thick. They can't genuinely believe this right? All the funnier if they do.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
While Dungeon Keeper ended up killing veteran developer Mythic, EA will still maintain the game because of its commitment to players. As Gibeau said, "[W]hen you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair.
This is like saying "when you take someone prisoner and replace their food with heroin, it's considered rude to give them withdrawal straight away."

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
... I-I can't belie- actually I can believe this, and that's the worst part. Yeah it's always shocking to see stupid people say stupid things, but nowadays this kind of shit coming from EA is about as surprising as the sunset, and that in and of itself is the saddest commentary on the completely abysmal state of the game industry.

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
EA shouldn't talk about innovation when the games of theirs I like the most are ripoffs of other, better games.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
How the hell has Frank Gibeau managed to keep his job? Think of your top 5 dumbass EA quotes over the past few years. Bet'cha Frank said at least three of them.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011

You know how gamers reacted to the xeroxed ending of ME3 by sending cupcakes, can we send dictionaries to EA with the word 'innovation' highlighted?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Innovative? Isn't it a clone of dozens of other similar mobile games?

Come on EA, you got a new CEO and made some good not shit decisions recently, don't fall back in to old habits.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
If by "innovation", you mean "forcefully pin our customers to the ground and beat them until they drop all their money", then yes, EA, you did "innovate" too much.