EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Innovation isn't innovation if there isn't any research to back it up that claim. All EA did was assume that Dungeon Keeper as a F2P mobile title would work with the established fans.

and thanks to that lack of research, it didn't succeed. To add insult to injury, the result was very, very avoidable simply by asking and polling those fans, but not through control groups. And just how is it "innovation" if all EA did was attach a poorly-thought, overused, even outdated payment system to a game whose mechanics date back to the late 90s, and even earlier if you consider certain individual gameplay mechanics?

As a result, EA lost a game AND a studio because they skipped over a critical part of series pre-development - Researching fanbase response and impressions of last titles, their market habits, for the sake of getting investors to understand what can and cannot be done, what is the line for the fans. And now EA got that information the hard way, and here they are denying that information is the case.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Ohhhhhhhh boy, this made my day.

Someone really, no REALLY needs to introduce EA's left hand to it's right.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Oh my god, I think the internet is altogether too keen to bash EA whether or not it's actually justified, and we have a history of making mountains over molehills, but... nope, can't defend this one. This was just a really epically stupid thing to say.

I mean, I saw that headline and thought "geez, that's a painful line to take out of context", but... nope, there is no context here to mitigate this even slightly.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
Well if nothing else you have to admire the way they always seem to find a way to a positive spin on the shit they do. I think some of these bullshit merchants that EA employs could find new careers in politics if they ever get tired of the video game business.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012

EA crossed the line here. They're not even being amusingly out of touch in an "Oh, EA!" sort of way. This is just insulting.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
<image src="http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/549/306/165.gif" img>

Innovating? Weren't ready for? How about not ripping people off from spending their cash in order to progress in the game!!!

Just how many excuse can EA pulled out of their arses instead of actually trying to fixed it by simply make it free to play (no cash involve to progress!

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I think this finally gets to the root of EA's issues - they just don't know or can't be bothered with what innovation looks like. They insult our intelligence and try to blow smoke up our ass while spinning their words like back pedaling politicians, while their shareholders completely hold the company hostage forcing through their own definition of innovation all for the sake of their bottom line. It's pretty disgusting actually- to pervert a word that's supposed to mean positive advancement into a mirror image of itself. I didn't think EA could sink any lower in my opinion of them but this wormy excuse for an apology does it. Why can't they just give a normal sincere apology? Why is it always a play on words to make themselves look better? They would of been better off keeping their mouths shut. Well I have no hope or interest in Battlefront now. Not with these soulless suits behind it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah, I innovated too much as well, which is why I'm overweight. Hah hah, no. You guys are lazy and over-indulgent. that's true.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh my god JUST STOP FUCKING TALKING! No more "Audiences just don't appreciate our brilliance" no more "No, this wasn't a stupid a fucking idea, honest" no more "We're not total douchebags" just, fucking, STOP! If you ever want me to buy anything with your brand on it again, I need more than empty words. I need action and convincing that it won't be a complete fucking waste of my time. You have done neither.

Macsen Wledig

Oct 4, 2013
EA said:
"Dungeon Keeper suffered from a few things," Gibeau told Games Industry. "I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for... I don't think we did a particularly good job marketing it or talking to fans about their expectations for what Dungeon Keeper was going to be or ultimately should be."
Read: We're currently conspiring with our partners in the industry to either make this the norm or finding an approach to this that will make it appear acceptable to you our customers. Remember DRM and day one DLC? Let's not even get started about how we've got you lapping up micro-transactions as the norm these days and after a lot of hard work we'll soon have you accepting unfinished releases and pay-to-play games like dungeon keeper in the natural parasitic relationship we think we should have.
We have all the money and power and well... you keep giving it to us.
Sincere thanks, The Games Industry.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
EA put the damn shovel down, both figuratively towards burying yourself instead of a horrible development target decision (F2p abuse) and game, and stop shoveling out crap. You've the necessary things to make good games when you stop trying to market every feature separately. Over developing games is making your customers cynical when you charge them for every square inch of the product. Stop. Just make games, sell them at what they are and if you want to add small stuff in for free every now and again, you might find people will like you more and buy more from you. No one wants to buy from an accountant.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I'm starting to think that The Escapist is making all of these quotes up. I mean, shit. EA and Ubisoft cannot be this fucking stupid. It's impossible! These are AAA publishing companies. Smart people making smart decisions and becoming this successful over the years. There is no way these are actual public quotes. I'm starting to refuse to believe anybody in a high level from a company like this cannot continue to say shit this dumb over and over again.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Just more evidence towards my hypothesis that EA (and most other AAA publishers) doesn't actually give a shit about consumer feedback or criticism, and are simply trying to wait out the rest of the market. That if they keep pressuring consumers, they will lower their standards and submit to shittiness.

Brainplant said:
"I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for"

So... you're saying it's our fault, then? Just admit you're saying that!
Yup!
Well to be fair, Frankie boy could have been less subtle...though not by much.

Original Article said:
"Dungeon Keeper suffered from a few things," Gibeau said. "I don't think we did a particularly good job marketing it or talking to fans about their expectations for what Dungeon Keeper was going to be or ultimately should be. Brands ultimately have a certain amount of permission that you can make changes to, and I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for.
It sounds like they're praising themselves and blaming the customer.

In the interest of fairness, I considered that "innovation" does not necessarily mean "good". There's plenty of stuff, tech, patents, concepts etc that gets developed but never used because it isn't appropriate or useful, and that seems to be what Mr. Gibaeu is arguing here.

However, the fact that Mr. Gibeau then juxtaposes EA's "innovation" with consumers being "unready" throws that possibility out the window. He genuinely believes his company did nothing wrong, or that there isn't any problem with Dungeon Keeper's obscene monetization scheme. He believes that the price-gouging rape wearing the face of a classic game is somehow acceptable even in the face of overwhelmingly negative public feedback and commercial response.

That isn't the behavior of someone admitting a mistake, that's the behavior of complete arrogance. He might as well be plugging his ears and yelling "YES YES, WE KNOW BUT WE REALLY DON'T CARE! SO STOP WHINING AND JUST BUY OUR GAMES ALREADY, YOU STUPID CONSUMER CATTLE!"

Of course, the same article shows that Frankie is fixated on copying the success of the horrible hellish Freemium practices employed in the greater Asian market; where standards can sink so low that many games are just gambling honeypots or endless grinding (to the point where certain practices are now being outlawed. Search "gacha game", and you'll see what I mean).

So I guess from that perspective, Dungeon Keeper didn't do anything "wrong". It's just that the standards of our market are higher than that of the hellhole market he's trying to ape.

Oh, and then there's this gem:
"If you watch some of the things we've been doing over the last eight or nine months, we've made a commitment to players," Gibeau said. "We're sincere and committed to that. So when you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair. We can sustain the Dungeon Keeper business at its level for a very long time..."
You know Frankie, just because you allude to something doesn't mean it's true.

If you look at games like Clash of Clans, Real Racing, even Candy Crush, they're breaking through in new ways and spawning all types of new products that are opening up creativity and opportunities here.
Oh yeah, cloning Match-3 for the 1000th time in the last 17 years was REALLY creative and new.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
too innovative? are we talking about the Dream Cast (may it rest it's soul) *Hunger Games Salute*, or Pay-to-Win garbage?

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
What he said: "I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for"
What he thought: "We need to widen peoples' -------- a bit more before a ---- this big will fit in there"

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I can't wait for EA to try it's hand at innovating the MOBA fad by introducing PAY-TO-CLICK options on a full $60 game. I wonder if we'll be ready?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Why did you have to say that frank? the fires of controversy are finally starting to go out, so why do you feel the need to throw fuel on the fire?

And if you think this wasn?t a incredibly stupid thing to say, please turn yourself over to the police, because you?re clearly a shape shifting alien who doesn?t understand human emotions.

Also since people are using the laugh harder clip I might as well post this, http://youtu.be/2HSoSBle8AQ .

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
If by "innovate" they mean "find new ways to turn a venerable property into a pile of shit", then yes, they were very "innovative".