EA "Embarrassed" by How Good Its 2017 Releases Will Be

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Lol. no thanks.

Mirrors edge: Want nothing to do with it after Annita Sarbitchsian got involved with the development of the game.

Mass effect: Good luck. You'll fucking need it to make any sense with the timeline now, be it before or after the ME3 Ending.

Battlefield: How about I spend my money on actual functional games that work at launch? Sounds like a good idea.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I shared the headline with a friend, and we both just LOL-ed for a long time.
I bet most of the company is only "embarrassed" by how obviously that statement is BS...

Oh Peter Moore; you never cease to be a source of incredible quotes, do you? <3

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know what, besides Battlefield, I'd say it was fairly exciting, particularly if you throw in the Star Wars Visceral game. But you know, the internet mandates that we hate EA, so grr, how terrible that games of probable good quality are coming out.

VincentX3 said:
Lol. no thanks.

Mirrors edge: Want nothing to do with it after Annita Sarbitchsian got involved with the development of the game.
Got any proof of that? Well, any that doesn't link back to The Kodu's blog that has no proof of her working on it either.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Oh, EA, you poor misbegotten soul. Since when do you think we would believe such malarkey? Thanks for the laugh.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So if I said I was actually excited to see Titanfall 2, I'm assuming posters in this thread would flay me alive? I mean, I'd expect to at least be slapped in the face by the raging hate-boner.

"Haha, fuck you EA! You said something dumb! LAWL!!!!1!!!"

Except, Moore didn't. And it's supremely embarrassing (irony!) that so many, especially the article author, misunderstood what was said.

There are plenty of things to bash EA over. Bashing them over this just makes us look bad. In fact, it makes us look like a bunch of philistines.

For clarity's sake:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarrassment_of_riches

And given the volume of high-profile titles they'll be dumping out in FY17...he's not wrong.

But far be it for me to try to interrupt the hate train. Full steam ahead, people.

RandV80 said:
it is calling it an "embarrassment of riches"
Now I enjoy a good EA bashing as much as the next guys, but these things don't mean the same thing. "Embarrassment of riches" is an idiom that means an overabundance of something, while it has much older origins it's a term you often here in pro sports. Mr. Moore here is boasting that they have a good lineup coming out in 2016, he isn't actually "embarrassed" about anything.

I mean is it even proper to use the quotes around 'embarrass' where the guy said 'ment' and you change it to 'ed'? I suppose some liberties can be allowed, but like I just said the manner its used and the manner being quoted don't actually mean the same thing.
It's a Steven Bogus Bogos article. Liberties are par for the course. As are leaving out rather important details from sourced articles that might give context or clarification to statements being made, especially if they lead to stirring up baseless controversy.

And, what a shock, that was exactly what was done with this story.

Fucking hell, Escapist. This is just dumb. Why is this man still published here? Every story is some combination of misinterpretations, misleading titles, half-truths, blatant lies, misspellings, or grammatical errors.

And for what? Page clicks? New forum accounts?

Come on, you're better than that.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Lol. no thanks.

Mass effect: Good luck. You'll fucking need it to make any sense with the timeline now, be it before or after the ME3 Ending.

Battlefield: How about I spend my money on actual functional games that work at launch? Sounds like a good idea.
anita had never ever anything to do with mirror. that was just a rumor spreading around but is false.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh... they are all sequels. That is... fun I guess. I would be happier to hear about some new games that are planned. Also... since we are talking probably at least 1 year and 3 months away, I don't think they can know that.

To me, it's a red flag when every single one of your titles you are looking forward to is a sequel.

Ian Kapsthan Frost

Oct 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
Wait... Mirror's Edge 2 got pushed back to 2017?

Well fuck.

Oh yeah, and, uh... EA grr grrr corporations evil EA bad grr etc etc.
The Eupho Guy said:
Micah Weil said:
Okay, you're saying 2017 is going to be awesome.
What about 2016?
Due to ongoing issues with the development process, EA has cancelled 2016.

OT: Really, EA? About the only thing that even looks slightly interesting from that is the new Mirrors Edge game, and not even that is something that I'm looking to get within the first month of launch.
WolvDragon said:
So Mass Effect 4 got delayed? Really? Well shiiiit!! I thought they were aiming for a 2016 holiday release. Oh well, here's hoping they use the extra time they got to make it a really great game.

Bobular said:
I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, Mass Effect: Andromeda and Titanfall 2, though with EA I probably wont get them until I've read some trusted reviews first.

I'm disappointed though, I thought all these were coming out 2016. I just hope extra time = extra quality.
I also originally believed that everything would be pushed back to 2017, but then I re-read the news and noticed:

Steven Bogos said:

Electronic Arts is releasing so many awesome games in 2017, it is calling it an "embarrassment of riches". Or so EA COO Peter Moore said at the Credit Suisse Technology, Media, and Telecom conference. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst has been pushed back from its initial FY16 release date to FY17, and will join Mass Effect: Andromeda, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 and a new games in the Battlefield and Titanfall franchises.
I suppose FY17 means fiscal year 2017, which would be from 1 October 2016 until 30 September 2017.

So I guess a late 2016 release is still possible.

Edit:

mgs16925 said:
Ok, a lot of people seem confused by this so here's the explanation: They didn't randomly skip 2016. These games are all coming out in 2016 or early 2017. EA's fiscal years start in April of the calendar year before. The Gamespot article which is linked in the end of this article as a source has the full quote:

"It's a little bit of an embarrassment of riches particularly in [fiscal year 2017], which commences for us on April 1, 2016."
I stand corrected, EA apparently has a different fiscal year system. So maybe we will see some of these games even earlier.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, I have to say he got me on Titanfall 2. I will be following it. But that's the only thing that got me interested. Other games didn't really make a big enough impression with the last installment to get me interested for the next.
That being said, I'm gonna guess a few things.
The PC ports will be shit, run like shit and be completely unoptimized. Day one DLC, pre-order DLC, pre-order season passes.
And because of the complete lack of optimization, Tittyfall 2 won't run on my ancient PC so I won't be getting it even if it ends up being fantastic. Liked the first game after the gorillion updates that fixed all the launch problems, but that was a bit too late. Hope they don't do the same thing with Titanfall 2.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh, EA. If you were capable of any sort of embarassment, you'd still be hiding under the table from how horrendously Battlefield: Hardline did on the PC.

[small]I mean, at least Evolve and Titanfall were attempts at something new, even if they were the wrong kind of new. But you screwed up 'Let's make Battlefield Cops 'N Robbers, lol'.[/small]

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
Ok, a lot of people seem confused by this so here's the explanation: They didn't randomly skip 2016. These games are all coming out in 2016 or early 2017. EA's fiscal years start in April of the calendar year before. The Gamespot article which is linked in the end of this article as a source has the full quote:

"It's a little bit of an embarrassment of riches particularly in [fiscal year 2017], which commences for us on April 1, 2016."

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Well if at least one of those titles follows the standard EA formula, it will be an embarrassment.

Embarrassment of the riches, eh, EA? Shame we can't say that about the 8 maps in the new Battlefront.

Embarrassment of the riches as in "i can't believe how much DLC we've got lined up for only 3 games, it's crazy"?

Ok I'm done.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Fuck you EA with your monopoly on Star Wars games...What are you even going to release in 2016? Are we supposed to just sit in coach on your hype-greyhound? I know Konami swooped in and stole your golden poo award this year but come on, get over it!

Seriousness now; no interest in Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, afraid of what Mass Effect: Andromeda will become, don't give a crap about Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2, don't care about Battlefield (Star Wars or otherwise) and Titanfall...might be on the PC and PS4 next time so maybe for the sequel will, EA will do an Ubisoft and Titanfall 2 will be the one to own. Yeah, by 2017 I should definitely have a PS4...probably.

lastcigarette

Mar 18, 2010
Just when I thought Konami would dethrone EA as shittiest game company, Peter Moore opens his mouth.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008

The only thing they should be "embarrassed" about is that they actually thought for more than one second that this dumb-ass ploy would actually work.

Oh, and the overall complete shit-quality of all their titles. That too.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Zontar said:
We know Mirror's Edge probably won't be that good, we know Mass Effect will probably be the worst one yet...
Wait, how do "we" know Andromeda will be the worst Mass Effect yet? There's a good number of folk who see that the games got better with each release.

I'm a little skeptical after what BioWare did to/with Inquisition, sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll mess up ME:A along the same lines. I generally prefer Dragon Age to ME, but the sci-fi series never had an identity crisis like DA - Mass Effect was a more assured trilogy by far.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Wait, how do "we" know Andromeda will be the worst Mass Effect yet? There's a good number of folk who see that the games got better with each release.
And those people are wrong, each release has been progressively worst. Though I can understand how someone could think Mass Effect 2 was better then the first, I really don't see how anyone can think 3 was better then 1 or 2 when it's story (even ignoring the ending and all that goes with it) was underwhelming, and the gameplay was uninspired at best.

On top of all that, BioWare has lost all the talent which made its games great once upon a time. It's been a slow proses over the years but now pretty much none of the talent which made the company what it is remains, with the talent loss being so bad it's not only likely Mass Effect Andromeda will be the worst Mass Effect game, but likely the worst BioWare game.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
You can't deny EA has two kind of talented people working for them:
- The PR guys, who basically turn a "we've got nothing for 2016" into "we've got so much for 2017"
- The super-fail dudes, who are extremely skilled in turning the greatest IPs into utter mess

Not sure who're the ones hurting the office more...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
EA has been sitting on the Star Wars license for two years now, and only has two games released in that period, and The Old Republic was a pre-total license acquisition title. They've made Battlefront and that's it.