EA Games Boss Swears to God He Didn't Kill Mirror's Edge

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, it sold 2 million?

Isn't that similar to how the new Medal of Honor sold? Because last I heard, they were still dead set on following up MoH. Although that's probably mostly due to the fact that it resembled CoD. Whereas Mirror's Edge doesn't really resemble anything and is therefore of little interest to EA.

Sheaphard117

Nov 5, 2009
Give you the option to bypass fights (with some skills) the parts of the game I found the most weak, were the parts where the game MADE you fight. Against heavily armored enemies. With guns.

Also, could you do something more with the pursuit cops? I loved the concept, and the stages in the game when you were being pursued by these guys were (in my opinion) some of the best.
If you do however, could you give us the 'standard pursuit cops' (the guys we all know and love)
and an upgraded version of the persuit cops. (basically, guys who can do all the same moves as you and run as fast as you. Basically, your equal)

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
It sold 2 million and EA finds that mediocre O.O

Bandai namco's enslaved didn't break the half million point and they see it as a potential franchise

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
really just give it a story, and get rid of those cut-scenes. If you must do comic book style, do it more like infamous. Other then that i thought it was a great game.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'll admit I'm wary of a plan to "broaden the appeal." I'm not saying that the game shouldn't appeal to a broader audience, I just hope this doesn't involve dumbing it down.

Sheaphard117 said:
Give you the option to bypass fights (with some skills) the parts of the game I found the most weak, were the parts where the game MADE you fight. Against heavily armored enemies. With guns.
This sounds great to me, some of the earlier action sequences I was able to run through without engaging anyone but later I would have loved to have a route around them even if it required extreme skill to pull off.

Sheaphard117 said:
Also, could you do something more with the pursuit cops? I loved the concept, and the stages in the game when you were being pursued by these guys were (in my opinion) some of the best.
If you do however, could you give us the 'standard pursuit cops' (the guys we all know and love)
and an upgraded version of the persuit cops. (basically, guys who can do all the same moves as you and run as fast as you. Basically, your equal)
Agreed, being chased really changed the dynamics of those levels - previously I tended to stop and think at regular intervals and having that option removed injected a nice dose of adrenaline.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
It pains me to see an original game as mirror's edge on the verge of being cast aside for not turning a profit. partly we (the gamers) are to blame, we see a 1st person perspective and we cry fowl if it doesn't follow suit with the regular FPS.

On another note, what is wrong with the recaptcha? Am I learning a new language here?

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
HankMan said:
Hey Gibeau I have some advice for your sequel...
1) Switch to third-person
2) Make it less bright
So basically, take away what made the first one unique - the atmosphere and awesome first person experience. Are you sniffing glue?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
1) Get rid of the gunplay. It was weak and did not suit the game.
2) Polish the platforming.
3) No really linear corridors.
4) More open levels
5) Do not shoe-horn in multiplayer if it doesn't fit the game.
6) Touch up the fist-fighting if you must have combat.

And yeah, thats what I would do.
Multiplayer could be kind of cool.

CTF, Racing, tricks, etc, could be a lot of fun. Just no TDM and such.

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
1) Get rid of the gunplay. It was weak and did not suit the game.
2) Polish the platforming.
3) No really linear corridors.
4) More open levels
5) Do not shoe-horn in multiplayer if it doesn't fit the game.
6) Touch up the fist-fighting if you must have combat.

And yeah, thats what I would do.
Multiplayer could be kind of cool.

CTF, Racing, tricks, etc, could be a lot of fun. Just no TDM and such.
Yes, but this is EA. Who's recent multiplayer games(Medal of Honor, Crysis 2) play a lot like Call of Duty. Which leads me to believe they'll try to make it like Call of Duty. That would be bad.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
The basic formula was:
FPV + platforming + awesome art design = WIN.

Please don't change that DICE. You're still one of my favorite developers ever, don't ruin things now.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Cross your heart and hope to die, Gibeau?

Andy Chalk said:
Mirror's Edge was definitely a good game but not without flaws, although to its credit, many of those flaws were the result of legitimate risk-taking by DICE.
Personally, I think the greatest flaw came from them (or, I believe, meddling EA execs) not taking a risk by releasing a first person shooter without gunplay. The gameplay worked perfectly without it - the disarming animations were awesome, and they'd be even better if after beating a heavy machine gun out of some unlucky sap's hands Faith just casually tossed it over her shoulder - and the moments with a focus on it stuck out like a sore thumb, and yes I know it's possible to complete the game without using guns (I did) but it just replaces boring gunplay sessions with boring stealth sessions. Not to mention it went against the game's philosphy of 'speed and grace beats power'.

Captcha: ropyripW from. From where? I must know.

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
You have no idea how happy this news makes me. I took a picture of it and sent it to friends. Mirrors Edge is my FAVORITE game of all time. It's been a running joke among my friends that a sequel will never surface. IT'S TOTALLY FREAKIN' HAPPENING.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
3) Give it a real storyline
4) ???
5) Profit!

Dear EA: Please do the opposite of the first 2 things here.

There's already plenty of gritty, brown, 3rd person platformers. Prince of Persia probably being the best of the bunch, but there are several others.

Mirrors Edge was new, shiny and different. Sure the story line was a little weak, and the cell-shaded "cut scenes" were lame. But it was experimental, and that's the kind of game we should support. The guys and gals who make Mirror's Edge aren't content to copy/paste another game, and I applaud them.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
lol@ that guy who wants to change everything that made Mirrors Edge awesome.

Glad its not dead, but yeah remove the gunplay and give it a more open world and your set.

Now Mirrors Edge 2 2012 please?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
IF you want it to sell just make it a cover based shooter, market the hell out of it to kids as being super hardcore and just roll around in your money pits.

If you want it to actually be a good game on the other hand... well I'm one of the people who LOVED the first game, so I wouldn't really want you to change a thing.

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
3) Give it a real storyline
4) ???
5) Profit!
As someone who stills plays this game and is a DIE HARD fan of the original, I find this post to be heresy and I might cry if it happens. I'm sick of dark games, I love the brightness. Also, the second half of the game was actually fairly dark. And third person? Are you insane, the first person perspective put you right in the action, it's what made the game intense.