EA Games Boss Swears to God He Didn't Kill Mirror's Edge

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
HankMan said:
Hey Gibeau I have some advice for your sequel...
1) Switch to third-person
2) Make it less bright
3) Give it a real storyline
4) ???
5) Profit!
the actual idea of the game is to be first person

as for the bright, yeah, maybe tone down the bloom a little, but just keep the style as it is

I mean, honestly, it's the most positive view of the future in this medium there is

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
lowkey_jotunn said:
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!

Dear EA: Please do the opposite of the first 2 things here.

There's already plenty of gritty, brown, 3rd person platformers. Prince of Persia probably being the best of the bunch, but there are several others.

Mirrors Edge was new, shiny and different. Sure the story line was a little weak, and the cell-shaded "cut scenes" were lame. But it was experimental, and that's the kind of game we should support. The guys and gals who make Mirror's Edge aren't content to copy/paste another game, and I applaud them.
Dear EA,

I second Lowkey's motion. I'm one of those people who STILL plays this game and this cuts right to the heart of what I want as a fan. If you want a great game, get rid of what went wrong in the 7th and 9th chapters.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
newdarkcloud said:
I loved the game (barring the story/conspiracy part) until they reached the point where they just started putting bad guys in rooms and saying "No, you have to fight now. No more parkour for you." That's what began to earn my ire.

Also, Fuck the time trials.
Yeah this... Except keep some time trials but make sure running is faster than consistant jumping, the fastest ghosts are just jumping instead of running.

The brightness never bothered me, it made the game more awesome.

And for gods sake ditch all gunplay, the best parts of the game were the first few levels when you're just running from the fucking army.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Whatever you do, don't let your marketing team do something reckless with the game.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Dense_Electric said:
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
NONONONONOOO - these two things MADE Mirror's Edge. The gameplay worked just fine from a first-person perspective. I could use some polish, but there were no problems that could be solved by changing the perspective. And the bright, pristine aesthetic? Eye-orgasm inducing. If DICE decides to change this, I won't be buying it
I think by bright he meant the excessive amounts of bloom, which I would like the game to be rid of. The visuals were still awesome, though.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Add my voice to the chorus of people who want it kept first-person. Honestly, if it's switched to a third-person perspective, I'm out. That's a deal-breaker right there.

I didn't mind the gunplay either, I like the idea of grabbing a gun, using it up and then having to throw it aside - but rooms packed with armed goons that you have to fight is no fun. Level designs should be more open ended, with opportunities to bypass combat or at the very least escape from it at various points. More flexibility = more win.

On another note, sorry for the wanky html that made a mess of the last half of the post. All should be well now.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Damn man, beat me to it.

A parkour game is fantastic, but unless it's in 3rd person whats the point?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
newdarkcloud said:
I loved the game (barring the story/conspiracy part) until they reached the point where they just started putting bad guys in rooms and saying "No, you have to fight now. No more parkour for you." That's what began to earn my ire.

Also, Fuck the time trials.
Two things...

1. Only one room did that, all the fights were easily escapable if you know what to do (even the last one).

2. The time trials were the only sections without enemies. What's wrong with them? I thought they were fantastic, if not really hard.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
third person...a better/real story...and-aw man, well you said it better :p but that I think would make it better

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
1) WTF NO
2) WTFingF NO
3) ...I thought it was fine...
4) Hah! I can use memes too! all your base are belong to us! the cake is a lie! I'm so cool!
5) yes, I believe that's the idea.

EDIT: Oh, ok, read the past two pages now. I should have figured it would be a 1st v 3rd and Dark v Bright flame war. Good to have the Chalk on our side.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Random One said:
and yes I know it's possible to complete the game without using guns (I did) but it just replaces boring gunplay sessions with boring stealth sessions. Not to mention it went against the game's philosphy of 'speed and grace beats power'.
That's it. As soon as I'm done my Daggerfall LP, I'm doing a Mirror's Edge LP. No guns, no stealth, minimal fighting, just speed and know-how.

IT CAN BE DONE.

AND IT'S AN ABSOLUTE BLAST WHEN DONE.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
duchaked said:
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
third person...a better/real story...and-aw man, well you said it better :p but that I think would make it better
It would also make it Prince of Persia with a girl from the future.

We already HAVE a Prince of Persia.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Add my voice to the chorus of people who want it kept first-person. Honestly, if it's switched to a third-person perspective, I'm out. That's a deal-breaker right there.

I didn't mind the gunplay either, I like the idea of grabbing a gun, using it up and then having to throw it aside - but rooms packed with armed goons that you have to fight is no fun. Level designs should be more open ended, with opportunities to bypass combat or at the very least escape from it at various points. More flexibility = more win.
I'll send you a copy of my epic Mirror's Edge LP that consists of me doing exactly that (escaping, not fighting) when I get it together. :D

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dawkter said:
D Moness said:
It sold 2 million and EA finds that mediocre O.O

Bandai namco's enslaved didn't break the half million point and they see it as a potential franchise
2 million sales is 10 million dollars made.

Course that's a useless game! Don't you see? You have to make at least half a billion or else the publisher thinks your game wasn't mainstream enough.
2 million unit sales is not a 10 million dollar profit, that assumes every copy sold for full price, which I can almost assure you it didn't, and developers only get returns on what they sell to the retailers not what the retailers in turn mark the price up to. To put that 2 million in more context, compare that to say the 7.8 million unit sales that Fifa did that same year. And you are also not factoring in cost of development.

There also is something to be said about your sarcastic statement though, companies do indeed have to balance the fact that the same team could be working on a potentially larger title.

I point this all out not to say that every developer should only simply be working on Final Call of Warcraft: XII, but that it's not so simple a decision as is apparent. Ultimately they feel that Mirror's Edge is still a worth while experience to explore and a worthy economical venture.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dawkter said:
D Moness said:
It sold 2 million and EA finds that mediocre O.O

Bandai namco's enslaved didn't break the half million point and they see it as a potential franchise
2 million sales is 10 million dollars made.

Course that's a useless game! Don't you see? You have to make at least half a billion or else the publisher thinks your game wasn't mainstream enough.
Actually, it's more like a million bucks, all expenses accounted for.

That's why they're somewhat hesitant and want it to grab the biggest audience.

I just hope and pray that they don't pull another absolute junk marketing campaign with people in black tank tops and white pants running around decking the police.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
""What we said internally is. 'What do we need to do to make [the sequel] a hit?' We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience,""

So what you're saying is that it's dead. If it's going to be released, the game will have perks, guns, killstreaks and twitch-controls - and a slapped on multiplayer mode (on shitty EA servers), along with a plot to assassinate unnamed terrorists in a named Middle-eastern country. It will also have quick-time events that don't actually require timing. And the running mechanic will be substituted for a hobbling fat bloke gaunt to make it more accessible. Faith will be made into a steroid-chomping monkey who shoots laser beams out of her eye. And she will fight a gigantic spider with her fists.

Grievances - you soul-less wraith. The game is dead. So just drop it, and let some DICE dude sit in the basement fiddling with it for ten years in his spare time. Then release it and have a 20000% profit-margin if it sells 100k copies. It's the best for everyone.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I liked how they attempted to make the controls simple and make them work. Unfortunately, it caused me to jump off of rooftops more than once. If DICE has to use a few more buttons to make the controls work, they should do so. Although if they can still find a way to keep it simple that'd be amazing.

EDIT: Keep it first person. DICE got the actual feel of it being first-person down pat, no need to change that.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
theshadavid said:
You have no idea how happy this news makes me. I took a picture of it and sent it to friends. Mirrors Edge is my FAVORITE game of all time. It's been a running joke among my friends that a sequel will never surface. IT'S TOTALLY FREAKIN' HAPPENING.
And once it does, the game will be nothing like the first one. Sorry.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
He's probably trying to figure out a way to make it multiplayer, if his quote about singleplayer only games being dead is to be believed. I really do dislike that guy because of that.