EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Lol did anyone expect anything less? EA based an entire marketing campaign to the CoD hater base back when BF3 was being released when it was going up against MW3.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
When your company produces a new Madden every year, I don't think you have any right to speak about "tired" brands.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, Activision may churn out the same cookie cutter games (kinda like you do EA), but at least they never destroyed an already existing franchise. They're harmless. In other words, pot call kettle black much?

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Activision's rebuttal

"Hello pot my name is Kettle and you are black".

Also, how is the Black Ops brand old considering there's only one BLOPS. Is BLOPS even considered a brand name? If he said COD is getting old then that would make more sense.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I think both EA's CoD rip offs of Medal of Honor and Battlefield speak otherwise to EA's thoughts on the matter (at least from a money making perspective). Personally CoD MoH and Battlefield, I consider blights on Gaming community with their bloated budgets, one note themes (that they all share together, while mocking the other for it) and desperate wish to be movies and not games, makes them wastes of time. Infinity Ward/Activision should just get Michael Bay to turn his military wanking on to their franchises so that we can just get all that nasty gameplay and coherent story telling buisness out of the way that they're so desperate to avoid.

I think personally gaming will look on this era and genre as the same way movie critics look back on blacksploitation or cheap skin flicks of the 50's-70's. An ugly underbelly best left untouched by anyone that takes game development at all seriously. SO EA Activision I think you're both tired and should take the year off, or better yet for everyone, the decade.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Can someone explain to me the difference between the two series? As I understand it they're both identical doom clones with all monsters replaced with Latinos, Russians and Arabs.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Call of Duty - 2003
Call of Duty 2 - 2005
Call of Duty 3 - 2006
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 2007
Call of Duty: World at War - 2008
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 2009
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 2010
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - 2012

This isn't a game with a roster update... And yet the series will have 9 iterations in 10 years.

I hate EA as much as the next guy, but it's not like the comment is supremely unfounded. It's become the Madden of the FPS genre. And considering how much crap EA already gets over that, I can't blame em for pointing a finger and saying,

"They're just as bad!"

Hardly the most reputable thing a large company could do, but considering this wasn't an official statement released by EA it's not even really the company saying it.

Captcha = Hit the sack. @_@

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
lax4life said:
The first shot has been fired. I'll go get the popcorn.
Grab some Doritos or something, too!

I'll get the nice big comfy chairs.

This is pretty cringey and pathetic to see, especially over Twitter :/

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Tired? You kidding me?

Black Ops 2 is the first CoD game I'm interested in buying since the original MW.

Treyarch add robots and futuristic guns to blops 2, somewhat fresh setting of year 2025 and a possibiity of non linear campaign (I'll believe it when I see it).

What did you put in MoH: Warfighter? More MW 3 rip off?.

Well EA, if you can't even catch up with Activision in the "innovation" department.....