EA Responds to Fox News Bulletstorm Allegations

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
fox news just wants ratings and controversy, they will lie through the teeth to get it but require others.

i can guarantee you, any quack psychologist that walks in saying this will get a spot on the air and i can also guarantee you that if someone came in saying the opposite, the best they will get is a spot on a panel which they will be ignored and out numbered and thats if they get a spot at all

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
archvile93 said:
But they tried a weak central government. It failed, the indiviual states were too busy fighting amongst themselves to do anything worthwhile. I think you need a balance when it comes to the strength of governments. Too strong, it turns into a dictatorship, or at least something close that stomps on basic rights. Too weak, a nation devolves into near anarchy and collapses from infighting.
Who tried a weak central government? When did it fail?

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Igen said:
Cant ESRB, Epic, People Can Fly and EA all sue for slander, libel, and negligent misrepresentation? Fox news needs to have their broadcast license revoked.
I second this.

Honestly, if you want people to stop broadcasting idiotic sensationalized news story then you have to make sure those stories stop being profitable. Fox News will think twice about saying stupid shit if they're liable to lose ten or twenty million dollars.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
hey look its the guys who made a marketing campaign called your mother hates dead space 2.yeah im happy that your responding but never EVER do another your mom hates dead space 2 still always nice to see fox news go down.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
Oh Fox, it's like what the news would be today in the bizarro universe.

The sad fact is that certain peoples personal views are so skewed that they are of the mindset that Fox is offering their daily dose of news... However, accepting that you would have to accept that a small percentage of the population is literally so brain fucked that playing Bulletstorm at a developmental age would give them some seriously unfriendly notions.

What I'm really trying to say is that Fox has a place in this world, just as long as the willfully ignorant choose to remain so. That is to say they will not have to face such complicated concepts when having their breakfast, concepts such as facts. For you see the thing is that the truth doesn't play a part in every facet of our lives, but when it does sometimes there's a divide in what the facts are and what you believe the facts to be. So it's true that Fox is needed in society today, just as long as there are people willing to pay to listen to what they "want" to hear.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I would just like to chime in and give my appreciation to EA for keeping their response professional. It's always nice to see a positive role model in this industry.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
If Fox wants to argue that violence in games can lead to violence in real life they need to shut the fuck up about how people on their side are being villainized for inciting violence with rhetoric. You cannot have it both ways!
Let me make this perfectly clear I don't believe Palin's stupid map got someone shot for the same reasons I don't believe Doom is what caused the Colombine shooting, but if Fox wants to argue that video games cause violence they can't defend themselves when another lunatic kills someone and says "Glenn Beck told me so." hypocracy is a *****.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
danpascooch said:
Booze Zombie said:
I'm surprised Fox News is still going, they're an international joke.
My Dad is a fan of Fox news and Glenn Beck, makes me fucking sick and kind of scared, since he's an intelligent person.

Anyway, good for EA, they stayed professional and used examples.
Funny my Dad also likes Fox news and Beck but he is an idiot. So we can be happy to know Beck has a nice range of viewers.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's just shitty that there's not more laws out there to defend against terrible journalism.

Obviously things need to have the freedom to be investigated, but so much of 'news' nowadays is desperate attempts to scare the public into never leaving the house and sitting in front of the TV, or fluff pieces about how Kim Kardashian got a new puppy.

Over in the UK too, the people who handle complaints against the press are so weak, that the papers and TV can pretty much do what they like, including presenting any old shit as 'fact' and 'news' and only admitting its 'an opinion piece' when pushed.

Personally if I ran the press complaints board, and they'd been obviously called out for making up absolute BS, they'd be expected to run an apology at the same time and for the same length as the original article, and donate that day's profits to a charity of the wronged party's choice.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Baresark said:
archvile93 said:
But they tried a weak central government. It failed, the indiviual states were too busy fighting amongst themselves to do anything worthwhile. I think you need a balance when it comes to the strength of governments. Too strong, it turns into a dictatorship, or at least something close that stomps on basic rights. Too weak, a nation devolves into near anarchy and collapses from infighting.
The Articles of the Confederation were the foundation of the US government before the ratification of the Constitution in 1793. Under the Articles of the Confederation, the US Federal government held only loose power, and each state ran itself fairly independently save some small jobs of the Federal government. This did not work well.

Central government is the only catalyst to modern Human society. Total anarchy is just a bad idea (for obvious reasons), and many small, localized governments with no centralization can be even more of a problem when you think about it, because now there can be all sorts of organized infighting, and historically that is what happened in every civilization built on city-states.

The ideal government would have to be a global centralized government, because there are no nation-states with their stockpiles of arms and numbers of soldiers to do any large scale fighting. Huge, devastating wars, like World War Two, which was really made possible by the lack of unity throughout history until the UN was formed and enforced, will no longer be possible as long as that government holds power, because only lesser militant groups could ever serve as an enemy, and they would not have the capacity for large-scale insurrection before being beaten by the global enforcement. Of course, this is assuming the government is something akin to a republic, which is what the US and many other successful nations use. It is more efficient than a democracy, and the people have power to elect officials, so everybody's happy and sufficiently qualified people are put in charge. If the government is more totalitarian, things could get interesting.

Also, in this day and age distances are no longer a factor in the satisfaction of citizens with their say in government, since communications and transportation would serve to give everyone access to government affairs and thus the ability to submit votes and what ever else you need.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
danpascooch said:
Booze Zombie said:
I'm surprised Fox News is still going, they're an international joke.
My Dad is a fan of Fox news and Glenn Beck, makes me fucking sick and kind of scared, since he's an intelligent person.

Anyway, good for EA, they stayed professional and used examples.
That, my friend, is what's called a paradox.

massaffect123

Apr 24, 2009
Baresark said:
The early U.S. government under the Articles of Confederation. The States were more or less in control. Congress couldn't levy taxes or pretty much do anything. It was replaced by the Constitution.

It was tried again later with the Confederacy during the US Civil War. The government was highly decentralized. There were cases where the states (esp. Georgia) hoarded supplies for their own defense, while the Confederate soldiers in the main army went without food, clothes and ammo. The central Confederate government could not do anything to stop this, due to constitutional limitations.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
So onlty fox news viewers are brain dead zombies that need spoon fed information and cannot think or reason on their own? Any worse than cnbc? or cnn?

Funny thing is this article came out of california out a left wing group, that is on the ca agenda to blame and invent new evils that video game perpetrate upon kids and adults. FOX news being a right wing channel or right leaning, should have doen some more fact checking period.

But this is an overall issue with all news these days, 24 hour news and rushing to get the story first, and lazy editors and fact checkers, skip all the basic tennants of good journalism and just run with whatever sounds like it will grab people while trying to beat the other channels to get the headlines first.

Evey "news" agency tv, radio, newspaper, should all be fired sent back to journalism school, and learn how the hell to do journalism. I think we had a more somber and serious journalism course in 3 or 4th grade where we were taught to be objective check our facts, look at all sides of an issue and put out each and every side as fairly as you possibly could despite your personal feelings.

The whole mass effect debacle was some irate woman that was looking for media attention that just overblew something she herd about the game then went calling everyone to try and get on tv, then proceeded to make most of what she was claiming up whole cloth. I am sure any eidtor for any news could have gotten on the phone or emailed EA or bioware and checked the woman's claims before she got on the air, but they did not.

At lest we found some common ground with the nutty left and the nutty right, lets crucify video games, lets make parents think that video games and video game makers are the spawn of satan looking to turn your kids into drug addled, violent, sex offenders. It is reefer madness all over again, with psedo twisted facts, exaggerations, and made up bullshit, to try and scare parents into supporting censorship.

Course this happens over and over half the time people fall for it other hope the supreme court steps in to say stfu and move on, hopefully the sc will say stfu and give video games 1st amendment protection as an art form in the same vein as books, movies, and music.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I get this image of a man in a suit looking completely unfazed and reading a statement from a lawyer in the face of a Fox News representative before gently patting them on the head and walking away, while said representative throws a childish tantrum. Possibly trying to make a scene, but nobody cares and walks right past him or her.

Honestly, this public statement is so patronising and dismissal that it's like a great big 'F. you' to such claims.

I can't help but wonder if there'll be more shenanigans, or Fox News will just go sit on the naughty chair in the corner. (finally)

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Baresark said:
archvile93 said:
After the Revolutionary War, before the Constitution, America attempted a government dictated by the Articles of Confederation. Just search it in google for details.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
When the federal government was founded it had almost no power, the only two powers expressly defined for it were to maintain a standing army and to negotiate foreign treaties. They did not even have the power to levi taxes. But every president since has expanded the role of the federal gov, even jefferson that was as much as a bulldog as you could get about limited government soon as he got elected president started to expand the government, granted it was so he could buy the LA purchase and double the territory of the united states etc. But as they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
I say: score! EA 1 : Fox News 0...
unfortunately Fox still has the bigger audience listening to their crap, but it's nice to know that "criticized" projects/companies are now confident enough to fight back and in a much more reasonable way than their "criticizer" (while in my opinion it is no real critic as long as it is not reasonable - at all).