EA Responds to Fox News Bulletstorm Allegations

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I'm surprised Fox News is still going, they're an international joke.
Seriously >_>

How do these idiots get away with saying this kind of stuff on (inter?)national TV? I don't suggest starting a flame-war or trolling anyone like unproductive folks do on the interwebs, but I think the fact that no one says anything is why they continue to spew bull crap about the gaming community without pause. Most of the people I've seen giving counter-arguments are a little overly polite, like they're trying to make a point without offending anyone when the people accusing the gaming community of being a bunch of slobbering rapist psychopaths have no shame about what they say.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
They didnt insult them enough ):
It was way to adult. I was hoping for a "Hey D*cktits. All your reports are sh*t and you should go eat sh*t out of a zombies ass!"

Oh well. One can dream cant he?

But in all seriousness, im glad EA is defending itself. These games arnt marketed to children. And the fact that kids want the game is what makes it seem like it is. When i was a child, i played all the M games i wanted. But im a fully funtioning member of society. I hold a stable job and HAVE NOT RAPED AND/OR MURDERED ANYONE. Infact i dont know anyone who has.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
Non truths in my news!? What is this?!

People disrespecting faux news? well i never, shame on you all... it's a legitimate news network... LOL, wow you really cant type that with a straight face..

good on you EA for showing that games that are 17+ are made for people aged 17+

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I can't help but just be flatout angry at Fox for yet again being annoying pests. Why can't they play the game then criticize? Or just die?

KajunBowser

Feb 22, 2010
WOW, another Fox News bashing opportunity for The Escapist to exploit. Since when is the opinion of someone from one of those family-centric media think tanks become "Fox News says..." in an instant? I bet this woman went on (or attempted to) CNN to give her "findings" as well. So much for attempting to be the fair balance in news coverage (note I didn't say "fair and balanced" 'cause, you know). Everyone knows the findings on increases in rape, even if they're from the FBI, are false; games have no effect on increasing this at all anyway.

God forbid CNN do a story falsely accusing a game or games leading to more rape. Oh, riiight, CNN did that when they did that smear campaign on the Japanese adult gaming (eroge) industry when RapeLay was the big adult game to hate by similar groups (ironically and thankfully, Fox News didn't comment on that). I'll go back in the archives and see how that xenophobic episode was treated here, but probably not like this.

I would expect gaming news from The Escapist, not some Fox News bashing (and by proxy, Conservative bashing) when a game gets wrongfully singled out like this. I would expect this from Joystiq, but not here.

Interestingly, this brings up something I find off-putting about the Repub and Conservative stance on games like Bulletstorm and Dead Space. They'll defend the right for the game to be created, but God forbid the game be released to the public with an ESRB label other than E or E 10+. Kudos to EA for staying above the fray (I'm familiar with the company internally). The Escapist, quit trying to be the HuffPo of gaming.

KajunBowser

Feb 22, 2010
Honestly, look at the "story" intently. It wasn't anyone affiliated with Fox News that said this. It was someone from one of those family-centric media think tanks they had on a show.

Think for once, and don't bash news organizations because you're programmed to because they give a different political ideology than yours a chance on TV.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
How about we shut down all existing news channels, Then hire some specific, intelligent people to cover things from a non-biased point of view?

Oh... but then there wouldn't be any drama. And the all the fucknuts who watch TV wouldn't have any drama to converse about.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Teddy Roosevelt said:
Baresark said:
archvile93 said:
But they tried a weak central government. It failed, the indiviual states were too busy fighting amongst themselves to do anything worthwhile. I think you need a balance when it comes to the strength of governments. Too strong, it turns into a dictatorship, or at least something close that stomps on basic rights. Too weak, a nation devolves into near anarchy and collapses from infighting.
Who tried a weak central government? When did it fail?
The Articles of the Confederation were the foundation of the US government before the ratification of the Constitution in 1793. Under the Articles of the Confederation, the US Federal government held only loose power, and each state ran itself fairly independently save some small jobs of the Federal government. This did not work well.

Central government is the only catalyst to modern Human society. Total anarchy is just a bad idea (for obvious reasons), and many small, localized governments with no centralization can be even more of a problem when you think about it, because now there can be all sorts of organized infighting, and historically that is what happened in every civilization built on city-states.

The ideal government would have to be a global centralized government, because there are no nation-states with their stockpiles of arms and numbers of soldiers to do any large scale fighting. Huge, devastating wars, like World War Two, which was really made possible by the lack of unity throughout history until the UN was formed and enforced, will no longer be possible as long as that government holds power, because only lesser militant groups could ever serve as an enemy, and they would not have the capacity for large-scale insurrection before being beaten by the global enforcement. Of course, this is assuming the government is something akin to a republic, which is what the US and many other successful nations use. It is more efficient than a democracy, and the people have power to elect officials, so everybody's happy and sufficiently qualified people are put in charge. If the government is more totalitarian, things could get interesting.

Also, in this day and age distances are no longer a factor in the satisfaction of citizens with their say in government, since communications and transportation would serve to give everyone access to government affairs and thus the ability to submit votes and what ever else you need.
I thought some philosophical debate would come about here, and that is why I asked, haha. The truth is, the articles of confederation were temporary in their design, so they didn't really fail. There was failure of that particular charter because they thought they could extend it and keep it basically as it is, only it was a temporary measure from the start and existed under conditions that it could not work for an extended period of time.

The original founders had an aversion to a strong central government. That is a given, you can see they would not want anything coming about that was anything from what they departed from (monarchy of old world). They believed that a society like they tried to build is the only way one can be free. We know this from basic history books, now is where there are departures from what we all learned in school and different opinions come in.

First off, the roll of the central government was completely laid out in the constitution. The things that it can do include things like forming a continental army from all of it's constituent parts to defend in case of attack and to defend contracts. It was not allowed to tax interstate goods and it could make no law that dictating how a state is to be run. These are just a few examples of what the central government was formed for.

You cannot say that central government is the only catalyst for human progress based solely on the fact that there is literally no evidence to back that up. When you speak of anarchy, what exactly to do you speak of? There are literally two kinds of anarchy you can find. There is the wrong definition of anarchy that everyone seems to know which goes something like there being no rules and we all go around raping and killing one another. Then there is the actual definition of anarchy which literally means, "no rulers". I for one am all about the second, because you then return to one of the primary roles of our federal government, to uphold contracts. You have the rule of property rights which is basically all inclusive (but that is a whole other subject all together). State governments are superior in almost all ways. First, they are small and are limited by the size of the population. They also do not start wars all over the world because of their size. You say that state governments are failures but you are not actually basing that off of anything. The truth is, in the ancient city states, the majority of them worked together just fine. They basically followed the idea of mutual respect and trade, the few exceptions are the ones you speak of. Sure, it wasn't peaceful and serene and perfect, but it's no worse than life today.

For a modern example, we have the Swiss. They are a small central government made up to 26 Cantons with a central seat in Bern. But, in there case there is not a strong central government because each larger portion of government up the chain is reliant on decisions made from each step up the chain. So, in New Jersey where I live, we have our local government, then county government, then counties vote for and elect legislators and a Governor that make decisions based on our needs. Now there is a break and no real connect to federal government. We as a whole vote and elect a person who fills a federal seat to represent us in Congress. This is the first main flaw of our central government. And before anyone says so, this was not always the way it was. That didn't change till the 17th amendment. It was ratified on April 8, 1913 (the same year we got our first and only central bank). It used to be legislators voted for who was going to be our federal representative. That was perfect because it did two very important things. The first thing it did was make someone who you have direct control over, responsible to a degree, and if they did something you didn't like they literally had to answer to you. The second and lesser known thing it did was keep special interest groups out of politics.

Another almost completely unknown factor in a state government is it added another kind of voting, it's called a foot vote. This is actually very important, and here is why: If you don't like the particular set of laws where you live, you can relocate to another state that is more in line with your perspective. As an example, you live in Chicago where gun ownership is completely prohibited within city limits. You have been robbed at gunpoint on four separate occasions, so you decide that perhaps a place where you are not allowed to defend yourself isn't for you, so you move to a place where you are allowed to own a gun and protect yourself and your family.

I noticed another comment sighting the Civil War as another failure of state government and why Federal government is better. First, we should dispel the myth that it was actually a civil war. A civil war is when two or more parties fight for power over a central government. This was not at all the situation America had. This is however the situation with the Communist Revolution in Cuba. The war was fought because the southern states wanted to secede from the central government that was dictating laws that destroyed the southern economy while at the same time not bringing those laws against all the northern states. It was the overly strong central government that was responsible for the so called "Civil War".

Now, onto your allegations as to why WW2 happened. A lot of historians, such as Thomas Woods Jr., say the reasons for WW2 was in reality the unfair treatment of Germany due to the Treaty of Versailles. This can further be traced back to America intervention in WW1. Basically, if America did not enter the war, neither side would have won. No one side had the ability to defeat the other till America entered the war. They would have been forced to find a peaceful diplomatic solution, and there would have been no Treaty, and then there wouldn't have been such a massive depression in Germany, then Hitler would not have been able to take power and using his strong central government, invade and conquer his neighbors.

Sure, if we were all one people it wouldn't have happened, but a one world government isn't possible for the simple reason we are all so different. The reality is, no one wants to be told how to live. No Christian wants to be told by a Muslim how to live and vice versa. No atheist wants to be told by any religion how to live and what they are and are not allowed to do. This is why a one world government isn't possible. As it stands now, if your Muslim and want live like a Muslim, you are allowed to, and the same goes for Christians and Jews and Catholics, etc. But you cannot dictate how a culture on the other side of the world is allowed to live, and thank god for that. This further drives home why state governments are superior. If we only had a central government, everything would be the same as everywhere else here. As it stands, people in Chicago can move to Easton PA and buy a gun to defend themselves. In the "Civil War" era, if you didn't like slavery, you could move to a place that didn't have it.

There is so much to talk about in regards to this.. but I'm stopping myself here. :)

MadMikey

Feb 5, 2009
Only complete morons and right-wing asshats watch Fox news anyway, so why give a flying frak what they claim!! If someone is stupid enough to believe the crap that they are broadcasting they have already shown themselves incapable of logical debate. You don't use sources that are consistently shown to be false in any kind of logical or ethical debate!

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
Talson said:
My god... this means that sensationalist news stories could be.... wrong?!

In all seriousness though, this is going to keep happening until the general public realizes that the ESRB exists and you should probably learn what each rating means. Could someone who's old enough tell me if the rating system for movies had this problem for the first decade or two after it came out?
Yes; I'm not old enough to know, but there was this thing I'm pretty sure was called the "Hanes Code of Conduct" where the industry basically agreed to be totally morally rigorous and boy-cot/not produce any movies otherwise. This, of course, has not lasted to today.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
Woah, I think I can see people defending fox news in this very thread. thats, thats hard to believe. Im kinda speechless.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
uppitycracker said:
I have decided, that should I ever rape or murder somebody (no, i'm not saying i will, but ya know... if i do), I'm going to blame the biased news reporting and fabricated psychology on Fox News for all my actions.
.....I'm now actually hoping you do murder someone.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Stuberfinn88 said:
I really wish that one day someone will go live on Fox News and take them down a few pegs.
people try, but what happens is they don't let the individual with a head on his shoulders talk. every time they start to, they just interrupt into a rant until time is up. they're good at maintaining their utterly biased stance and appearance.
I agree with this. If I recall correctly, the Fox News piece on Mass Effect is a perfect example of this.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Never is the game marketed to children.
Exactly. I'm getting a bit sick of all these groups thinking that they are made and marketed for kids just because they are video games. They aren't.

Sometimes I hate people. Sometimes I wish I was a hermit.

ZodiacBraves said:
uppitycracker said:
Stuberfinn88 said:
I really wish that one day someone will go live on Fox News and take them down a few pegs.
people try, but what happens is they don't let the individual with a head on his shoulders talk. every time they start to, they just interrupt into a rant until time is up. they're good at maintaining their utterly biased stance and appearance.
I agree with this. If I recall correctly, the Fox News piece on Mass Effect is a perfect example of this.
You are correct.

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
danpascooch said:
Booze Zombie said:
I'm surprised Fox News is still going, they're an international joke.
My Dad is a fan of Fox news and Glenn Beck, makes me fucking sick and kind of scared, since he's an intelligent person.

Anyway, good for EA, they stayed professional and used examples.
It's like a cult, but worse some how.

OP: Glad to see people not bowing in the face of controversy.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
They've been doing this a long time, and they're good at weaseling.

Look at the story. The reporter didn't say rape is on the rise. They found someone to say it for them, so they can quote it and deny responsibility.

You can't pin them down for their nonsense because they make a concentrated effort to make sure they can blame a third party for every deceptive thing they do. They have always got a "fall-guy" to take the heat for them.