EA Wants to Make Wii U an Origin Exclusive

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
I'm a bit insulted that Nintendo, allegedly, thinks that western gamers want invasive spyware on their systems. Doesn't seem like they have a very high opinion of us.
You do know that there will probably not be a good internet browser on it, and the article clearly said that they might be only using it for the digital distribution part of the wii u. Nothing else.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
scorptatious said:
Not sure about having Origin on there, but having Steam on there? That would be kinda awesome.

I can finally play Team Fortress 2 on a Nintendo system! It's like a dream come true! There will probably even be Nintendo themed hats! :D

This probably won't happen, but's it's nice to dream...
I can just imagine the Heavy running around in a Mario hat now and the Scout with a Link hat. Maybe even get a custom skin for the Pyro so he/she/it/robot looks like Samus.

OT: While it would suck to have in ONLY be Origin on the Wii-U because it potentially blocks other 3rd party developers, I don't see anything bad with Origin being on there. I've had no problems whatsoever with Origin, and the fact that we could get some Bioware games on the Wii-U because of Origin is actually a plus in my book.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wow EA are being such dicks now that they're not even trying to hide that they want to bully everyone out of the market. Screw you EA.

Jan 27, 2011
...while Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."
*nearly spits out the water he's drinking in total shock*

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Are. You. SERIOUS? The "spyware on your PC" EA? The "CALL OF DUTY SUX AND BATTLEFIELD WILL TAKE ALL OF YOUR MARKET AND...and....Uhh...We take it all back now that we didn't get perfect scores!" EA? The "You're mom's gonna hate it" EA?!

...Please, Nintendo. Reconsider that opinion! PLEASE. EA is one of the last companies you want to partner up with at that level.

Valve is also reportedly interested in making Steam available on the Wii U, but the source claims that EA is "aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origin exclusive with Wii U's online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam."
Well NO SHIT! EA wants to topple Steam, but Steam is already miles ahead of it in terms of mileage, service, and goodwill. So of COURSE, they will try to find some way to gain a monopoly on some part of the market so they can keep trying!

Now, steam on the WiiU....That sounds weird as hell, but I honestly support it. I like steam. I like Valve. I think they'll do a much better job making the WiiU attractive than EA. Although the best case scenario is that they open up their marketplace to BOTH of them. More variety is always good.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I see EA isn't looking long term at this. When the new MS and Sony systems roll out, Nintendo is going to have their hands on this ancient tech that nobody is going to want to put games on, because it's not going to be as popular as they think.

My prediction:The Wii U will bomb, because most people who play games in this generation already have a system of the same caliber as this one. The ONLY reason that it's going to sell at all is because of First Party titles.

Why would I buy another system that's capable of 3rd party titles? I already have a PS3 and a 360.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Steam yes. Origin maybe. But don't muck up your online again, Nintendo. And don't just capitulate to one third party. You want many third parties to join you.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
God no Nintendo. Go with Steam instead or atleast don't make Origins exclusivity. Cmon I love you guys so make the right choice.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008

Seriously, thought Nintendo's not that stupid. They probably KNOW we as a community hate Origin, so it's not gonna happen. Hopefully.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Dear Nintendo

SteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteamSteam

Don't get me wrong, if Origin was fleshed out, had a wide variety of games and wasn't as buggy as hell, I would have no problem. Consider it as an exclusive for next generation though.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Nintendo from what I've gathered have always been very independent in the gaming world. They rely very heavily on their first party content and own what are still some of the biggest names in gaming especially for the younger audience. I can't seen them taking shit from EA and having to answer to them.

But it's also well known that Nintendo have never been great for online functionality so there is a possibility of needing support on that front, irony being that EA's origin isn't much of an improvement, I've held off BF3 because one of my friends keeps getting Diconnected mid match, sounds very annoying.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why is everyone saying no to this when Nintendos current online is worse than any form of online circa 1920's. This would probably make things at least bearable.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
If Nintendo wants to make an online service that appeals to western gamers, step one is to ditch friend codes. After that, I don't care what they do. It's immediately better.

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
Damn EA.
I think what nintendo need is to listen to Valve.
Not damn EA, alright...?

Maybe if the Wii U fails, which is likely, then nintendo will develop as a third party. (please?)

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
"...only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

DRM, Online Passes, Origin. I highly doubt there is anything comfortable or convienient those things bring to online gaming.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"...because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."
There is so much fail in that sentence I nearly cried, and that's without even believing any of this is true.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
EA really are scrubs, are they? They think everyone should follow THEIR fascist marketing decisions.

Oh wait, didn't Hitler try this already?

Captcha: consequently eviabo

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'd be interested to see if the Wii-U even succeeds first. It looks a little too freaky for my liking