Earthquake in VA

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
All my friends felt it, I didn't. Honestly everyone's making this into way to much of a big deal.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Delsana said:
dmase said:
Delsana said:
The earthquake is expected to be nothing more than the foreshock of the tectonic alignment which would mean that a much more dangerous and powerful earthquake would be occurring sometime soon.
source?
http://img.ibtimes.com/www/site/article/202683.htm
It seems unlikely since we've had after shocks. Now i'm no geologist but they classify the stages of seismic activity with fore shock, main shock, and aftershock. So if geologists are already claiming that we have felt aftershocks then wouldn't that mean that the one we felt was the main shock. I mean we had a mild earthquake last year was that a fore shock?

I'm just not understanding how we can truly know any which way. If there is a way of testing the fault lines i'm sure it would take longer then the time for the "main" quake to hit.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I had relatives asking about if we were OK... in Ontario! Madness. Everybody just freaks out when anything like this happens... saaaaayy.. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQdZQjgGT-I

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Didn't notice. Could be because I was way over in England, far away from wherever the hell VA is. Google tells me it's Virginia, but what's the A stand for?
VirginiA

OT: Since when did the east coast get earthquakes? Isnt this like really strange?

johnboy424

Apr 25, 2011
I live in VA, felt the earthquake, and this is how I feel about my Facebook feed right now:
http://i.imgur.com/t4DuL.jpg

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
Felt the aftershock all the way up in PA, so did a lot of my friends.

It didn't exactly ruin my raisin toast, although it did distract me for a moment...

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
I'm in Central Jersey and I felt it! It only lasted for a minute anyway. It was small enough that it was more like a ride than a disaster. My immediate thought after was "Let's go again! Let's go again!"

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
ArchBlade said:
Felt the aftershock all the way up in PA, so did a lot of my friends.

It didn't exactly ruin my raisin toast, although it did distract me for a moment...
This is how everyone should be reacting to this.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Times like these are when the best of people come out. Helping everyone out when they need a hand. For those who we lost.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Marik2 said:
Jedamethis said:
Didn't notice. Could be because I was way over in England, far away from wherever the hell VA is. Google tells me it's Virginia, but what's the A stand for?
VirginiA

OT: Since when did the east coast get earthquakes? Isnt this like really strange?
...What. How... That doesn't... Buh.
I'm just going to add this to the 'What the fuck America?' list.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Marik2 said:
Jedamethis said:
VirginiA

Oh come on like you guys in the UK dont have weird stuff?

Like calling a train station a tube station (yes I know only people in London call it that but still its weird)

Like wtf? :p

The Lost Big Boss said:
Times like these are when the best of people come out. Helping everyone out when they need a hand. For those who we lost.

PFTHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA OMG THATS PRICELESS XD

Ah that made my day

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Marik2 said:
Jedamethis said:
Marik2 said:
Jedamethis said:
VirginiA

Oh come on like you guys in the UK dont have weird stuff?

Like calling a train station a tube station (yes I know only people in London call it that but still its weird)

Like wtf? :p
At least I can see how somebody might just call underground tunnels tubes, and then expand that to cover most things to do with trains! VA being Virginia, on the other hand, just seems...wrong. Goes against everything I know about language.
*picks up monocle from where it popped off in surprise*

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
MissGinaKid said:
shadyh8er said:
I live in Georgia but felt nothing. Matter of fact I only knew there was an earthquake because a news report interrupted my mom's viewing of Judge Judy. My prayers are with the victims.
I don't think anyone has died so far. Did you see a report that said otherwise?
I heard a radio broadcast that talked about "the devastation" the earthquake caused. According to the other people who quoted me, the only victims are "dry wall sheets and grandfather clocks." Stupid media blowing things out of proportion!

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Zenn3k said:
shadyh8er said:
I live in Georgia but felt nothing. Matter of fact I only knew there was an earthquake because a news report interrupted my mom's viewing of Judge Judy. My prayers are with the victims.
I don't think there are any victims.
Oh, well that's good. I heard a radio broadcast that spoke of "the devastation," so I just assumed there were casualties. Guess I played right into the media's scare tactics huh?

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I live in Erie and my sister said she felt it but I didn't feel it, I'm kinda dissapointed now that I'm left out of the little shaking scare.

Edit: 900th post! only 100 more to go till I reach Gonzo level.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Gwarr said:
Overreacting much? 5.9 is nothing guys . I know you have no earthquakes in that zone but this is so silly . People scared , telling other people where they were when it happened like it was some kind of a disaster . Only way someone could have died would have been from a panic attack or something .
I agree 7.8 kilojoules of energy released. As a reference the japanese quake released 2.0 EJ of energy. That means that it was over 25,600,000,000,000 VA quakes (I think, unless my calculator lies).