Eidos Employee Fired Over "Hate Speech" on Facebook

SwOJester

Jul 9, 2012
IamLEAM1983 said:
FallenTraveler said:
Still, I fucking hate the Separatists. I don't think they realize just how nasty things could get if they actually leave. Their infrastructure is shit, their construction companies are filled with corruption, and they are bleeding the Maritimes dry with hydro bills.
You're almost right. Almost. Apart from our health system, our infrastructure isn't so bad. Corruption is the order of the day pretty much everywhere else, and Canada hasn't really done much to help us dam the influx of mafiosi into the close circles of government officials. With or without the RCMP, that won't really change.

As for the Maritimes, you've also got decent hydroelectric capital. Why not invest in it?

Oh, and if it's the ideology that bothers you, let's be realistic. The PQ won't be able to push for a referendum anytime soon. Why? Because it won by a minority, with the Liberals and the CAQ riding on its coattails. Bringing up the question of independence in a climate like that would be tantamount to political suicide.

This is coming from a guy who's been born and raised in a seriously pro-separation family. Our generation doesn't give a fuck, and the local student body tried to host "anti-election parties", last week. My age range hasn't been quite as indifferent as it usually is, but it's pretty clear that anyone between 25 and 35 doesn't really have any point of reference with any of the major parties - the PQ included.

So, honestly? Don't "fucking hate" us. That's insulting, for starters, and we're seriously not worth it. French is undergoing a landslide as the primarily spoken language in Montreal's metropolitan area, and most guys my age speak English fluently enough. I'm just sick and tired of hearing Anglophones shake in their boots as soon as someone from the PQ steps up - as if having some sort of sense of identity to protect was akin to having a vial of the Bubonic Plague to spread around.

We're not going to kick anyone out of the province for not speaking French. Point in fact, separating would allow us to prove just how unique Quebec is, with its myriad of cultures all intersecting in such a tight population basin.

I honestly doubt it'll ever happen - the conditions for it were way back in the mid-to-late sixties - but I was still raised by folks who thought it would do us a world of good.

We have enough shit to fix as it is; like the Liberals' utterly corrupt approach to governance, and the whole tuition fees kerfuffle. I haven't been able to set a foot in class for six months, I'd much rather take of that than foster ideals that, while noble, aren't as plausible as they could have been.
Just like someone said before me: a thousand times this.

'Sides, its not like the only goal they have right now is separation. Hell, I don't even think they have a plan for it right now. Quebec as waaaay too much crap to deal with before even thinking about it. And even if they are thinking about it, its just another referendum waiting to fail, no need to go all apeshit on the PQ. >_>

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Generally, I don't like it when people are fired for "hate speech". There seems to be this belief that workers are representing their companies at all times, even though this clearly isn't true and no one gives a damn what some low-level employee does or says on his own time. In this case, however, I support the company position. There's a large difference between being insensitive or advocating controversial policies and openly calling for the assassination of a public figure, so you have to wonder about his sanity a little.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Heaven said:
There's a large difference between being insensitive or advocating controversial policies and openly calling for the assassination of a public figure, so you have to wonder about his sanity a little.
This. Posting a comment or a Wall status about Jersey Shore being cancelled and calling those who watched and enjoyed it morons is kind of a dick move - but it's still defensible to a degree. Calling for the murder of a government official? Even in jest or in some weird outburst like we've all had online?

No. Obviously not. Fuck, no. You can hate your boss all you want, just don't Tweet about murder fantasies if your account isn't private or if your boss can see your private posts. It's called watching your six, and it's something a lot of folks just can't seem to grasp, online.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
8-Bit_Jack said:
Fappy said:
What an idiot. You'd think people would understand that you can get fired for this shit by now.
Except he shouldn't be. Nor should he be under investigation for making a threat. He did no such thing.
Nor did, if I understand correctly, he say this in any official capacity, or on a company account. Now, not having seen his account, he may in fact have plastered his facebook with reference to the fact that he worked for the company, and THEN he might deserve to be fired. But he still didn't threaten anyone

The truth is, your employer has no right to your internet activity, unless said activity happens on the job. If you use company resources to log on to facebook and rant about how much they suck, then yes, that's something to be fired over.
However, they should not be allowed to police your thoughts or actions on your own time. And as much I need a job, were I informed my employment was conditional upon access to my internet accounts, I would refuse.

Now, not knowing the political situation in canada, I won't presume to say whether or not this man is JUSTIFIED in his offensive behavior, but he shouldn't be in this much trouble either way
I never said that he SHOULD have been fired, but he should know by now that people get fired for this kind of thing regardless as to whether it is right or wrong. The investigation part is uncalled for with the information provided with the article. I agree that your employer does not have the right to your private internet activity, but this was obviously public enough to warrant many people emailing his employer with complaints. That can be damaging to a company's imagine and they were simply acting out of self-preservation. Most other corporation would do the same thing in their situation.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
Okay, I'm American, and WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN ANYTHING ON THE NEWS ABOUT A FREAKING ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON A POLITICIAN'S LIFE?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
FallenTraveler said:
Still, I fucking hate the Separatists. I don't think they realize just how nasty things could get if they actually leave. Their infrastructure is shit, their construction companies are filled with corruption, and they are bleeding the Maritimes dry with hydro bills.
You're almost right. Almost. Apart from our health system, our infrastructure isn't so bad. Corruption is the order of the day pretty much everywhere else, and Canada hasn't really done much to help us dam the influx of mafiosi into the close circles of government officials. With or without the RCMP, that won't really change.

As for the Maritimes, you've also got decent hydroelectric capital. Why not invest in it?

Oh, and if it's the ideology that bothers you, let's be realistic. The PQ won't be able to push for a referendum anytime soon. Why? Because it won by a minority, with the Liberals and the CAQ riding on its coattails. Bringing up the question of independence in a climate like that would be tantamount to political suicide.

This is coming from a guy who's been born and raised in a seriously pro-separation family. Our generation doesn't give a fuck, and the local student body tried to host "anti-election parties", last week. My age range hasn't been quite as indifferent as it usually is, but it's pretty clear that anyone between 25 and 35 doesn't really have any point of reference with any of the major parties - the PQ included.

So, honestly? Don't "fucking hate" us. That's insulting, for starters, and we're seriously not worth it. French is undergoing a landslide as the primarily spoken language in Montreal's metropolitan area, and most guys my age speak English fluently enough. I'm just sick and tired of hearing Anglophones shake in their boots as soon as someone from the PQ steps up - as if having some sort of sense of identity to protect was akin to having a vial of the Bubonic Plague to spread around.

We're not going to kick anyone out of the province for not speaking French. Point in fact, separating would allow us to prove just how unique Quebec is, with its myriad of cultures all intersecting in such a tight population basin.

I honestly doubt it'll ever happen - the conditions for it were way back in the mid-to-late sixties - but I was still raised by folks who thought it would do us a world of good.

We have enough shit to fix as it is; like the Liberals' utterly corrupt approach to governance, and the whole tuition fees kerfuffle. I haven't been able to set a foot in class for six months, I'd much rather take of that than foster ideals that, while noble, aren't as plausible as they could have been.
Jumping on the Moderate bandwagon and throwing my support to this post. As the horrifying bastard child of a Quebecois Seperatist and an Anglo Quebecker I've seen the separation debate from all sides. I can honestly say that is more the preoccupation of an older generation who had legitimate concerns about the future of their culture. Quebec has changed radically in the past half century though and with a world that is generally trying to break down borders rather than raise new ones the separation project isn't one I can see myself supporting.

OT: I'd be the last person to support Pauline Marois. I find her arrogant(to be fair most politicians are but still) and generally disagree with a lot of her policies. So I voted against her and picked a party that more closely reflected the direction i think the project should go. Thats it, thats how we voice our discontent in a civil society. Sure telling people you think such and such a politician is the wrong choice is fine, but the radical polarizing I've been seeing all over world politics is starting to get me worried. What happened to grudgingly respecting those you disagreed with?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This is kind of shit. I'm guessing his facebook is primarily to contact his friends outside the company like most people. In which case, he wasnt representing his company to any extent.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
@Talvrae @Di-Dorval -
I just gotta say, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd bump into another francophone Quebec native. I do speak French, it's just that, uh, with this being The Escapist, I feel like doing that would weird out about 99% of the other forum members.

Feel free to PM me in French, though, if that's more up your alley. It'll be a welcome change of pace.
I think we are a dozen or so, just not all very active

On OP, I think it was a good business decision, better fire him than get a very bad public image, it's a very emotional subject this week, our first political assassination attempt in 150 years or so, and only less than one hour after she was elected...

Capcha : Teflon president

Teflon won't stop bullets capcha...

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
AC10 said:
I've been on vacation for almost a month... fucking Pauline Marois got into power? God damn separatists, man.
It's a very weak minority government so I really doubt she'll be able to push too much of her separatist agenda, at least not at this point.

Timnoldzim said:
Okay, I'm American, and WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN ANYTHING ON THE NEWS ABOUT A FREAKING ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON A POLITICIAN'S LIFE?
We all know how reliable the american media is at reporting, you know, actual news... Maybe they were too pre-occupied with the obviously more important inner details of some poor celebrities life. Or attacking Dems/Republicans for stupid shit that probably had nothing to do with the parties, depending on the channel

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Who cares what sort of restrictions we put on facebook? Society has become so asinine with this inane hyper tolerance and strict adherance to political correctness that people willingly block their own ability to express thoughts or formulate opinions that deviate from the herd.

From the same people who brought you societal conformism collectively indoctrinated via imported culture.

Yep... its another "Weep for the future" day. They seem to be coming more frequently as they allow more and more things to be ruined and laid asunder. Honestly I would make every effort to remove the plague like stain myself if it not for a horrendously annoying nagging voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me "All these shitty things they do? It might be the first, required stage to changing human nature that will allow the world to actually change for the better" Even though every other fiber in my being tells me this is wrong and a path toward oblivion.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Interpreting this as the Evil Corporate Machine suppressing the Common Man's voice is kind of short-sighted.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to censor ourselves for the good of our job or coworkers. Thing is, the Internet is so open that anything any employee says ultimately becomes akin to unsupervised and sometimes unwanted PR.

Eidos Montreal couldn't let this slide - even if I'm fairly sure d'Astous would tell you he supports freedom of speech as much as anyone else. Eliminate the need for PR and corporate reputation from the face of the map, and then we'll talk about not having to resort to doublethink online. Because the fact is we do.

Like I said in an earlier post - check your six. If you're too heated about a given subject or if some topic is too close to home, cool yourself off or don't comment. It's hard, it's not exactly what I'd consider to be part of human nature - we like flipping our lids, generally speaking - but it needs to be done.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Trilligan said:
viranimus said:
You do realize that this guy was condoning murder and advocating the assassination of an elected official, right?
And you do understand the difference between literal and figurative, right? He wasnt condoning literal murder. He was using figurative language and a dark sense of humor to vent a distressing situation.

But the fact that here we are with this pretty much reinforces and illustrates what I was saying, though I can see where you dont follow.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Unpopular opinion time I suppose: Unless his Facebook page did link him pretty strongly to Eidos, I don't think he should have been fired. We all have opinions, and it's a fiction to think that people who work for a company don't. As far as I'm concerned, if he's not speaking as a representative of Eidos, he should be able to voice any opinion he wants.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Trilligan said:
I'm sorry but this:

"I give this ***** a month before someone with better aim comes forth and does what must be done"
Doesn't sound figurative to me at all. Nor does it sound like an attempt at dark humor. It sounds like he wants this woman killed. It also sounds like he doesn't care that someone else was killed (and others were wounded) during the first attempt. If I were at in charge EA I wouldn't want him working for me either.
Yes.. I know, that is why I said it illustrates what I was talking about. I mean you do get that wanting someone dead, or not caring that someone was killed/injured is what makes it "dark" right? Making a joke about somes ability to continue living, is still a joke.

You simply have to read the context to understand that difference between literal and figurative. If it were any more apparent It would be pummeling a deceased equine into oblivion, so I am not sure if I could point to anything to make it any more noticeable.

I mean perhaps you might not want to look past the first quote and omit what makes the context in order to get to the second one where the context is not as pronounced. Also better appreciating the idea of schadenfreude would be beneficial in this instance. Edit: Perhaps if you do not ask yourself the question "do * I * find this funny might also remove a hindrance.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Chiave said:
"Hate Speech" is analogous to "Free Speech."

Just Saiyan.
We don't have your precious free speech constitutional rights up here. We operate on the "Don't Be An Idiot" approach.

Just Saiyan.

OT: This is why Facebook is a force of GOOD. It lets us know who's a thoughtless idiot and who isn't.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Unpopular opinion time I suppose: Unless his Facebook page did link him pretty strongly to Eidos, I don't think he should have been fired. We all have opinions, and it's a fiction to think that people who work for a company don't. As far as I'm concerned, if he's not speaking as a representative of Eidos, he should be able to voice any opinion he wants.
Eidos don't give care what "should" be allowed in terms of opinions. All they know is that them keeping him on board will sent a terrible message to many people, and will possibly cause minor boycotts, which can and do damage profits.

Eidos is not a person, its a conglomeration vying for maximum public appreciation. It doesn't matter whether or not the man is a representative, it matters whether people think he is.

Don't like it? Complain to human dumbness.