Elder Scrolls V Adding Visceral Feeling of Danger to Combat

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
Timing and combining your movement to make special moves?
10x bonus to stealth kills?
Holding arrow shots makes them more powerful?

The funny thing is that half of those things were already in Oblivion. Few people seem to actually have passed half-game or even played it properly, and that's sad. It's makes Oblivion one of the most well received and praised games of all times, and yet a super-underated game... how's that even possible?

I'm excited about the dual system thing, though. It's gonna be awesome.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
It doesn't matter what they add, change, or remove.

I'm going to buy it anyways.

However, I hope they make it possible to have an interesting melee character.

Someone mentioned Condemned-like combat.

I would love to brawl my way across Skyrim, killing the occasional dragon with my BARE HANDS.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Wow, I guess Skyrim will be everything I tried to make my Oblivion to be through the use of mods. I am very VERY intrigued to see how this game turns out. Might be time to buy a new graphics card :D

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Exort said:
C95J said:
And it just keep getting better and better!

Dear Bethesda,

Your game seems to be more awesome than god himself, do you take cheques in advance? Because I might as well give you my money right now! Definitely getting this game!

:D
Im guessing this is the reason they keep releaseing unfinshed games.
Fallout 3 wasn't that bad when it came out and Fallout New Vegas was more Obsidians fault. Can't comment on Oblivion though, didn't get it when it came out. It was only a joke anyway :/

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
YES! this sounds awesome! I am going a stealth character now in oblivion, but this will make my favorite class, a thieving mage tank all the more fun.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Bethesda hopes that Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will bring a totally new feel to combat, eliminating repetitive chopping.
Haha, good one, Bethesda.
Now give us the game with repetitive chopping, weird body animations and nonexistent facial animations we are all going to get.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Ivan Dobsky said:
>85 different spells in 5 schools
>in 5 schools
>5
Why, Bethesda?! WHY?!
Eh.. whatever your answer is, i blame consoles.
I can only imagine that this is the face you see when you look in the mirror.

OT: I can't wait. Bethesda is adding improvements across the board.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Then again, mudcrabs are probably really dangerous now. Even more dangerous. -Shudder-
Dragon-mudcrabs?! OH GOD...They still won't be as fierce as me.

Oh and this sounds goooooooooooood! Canny wait.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I'm somewhat worried that they took away spellmaking. I want to be able to make some kinda OP spells. Chameleon 99%, a Wizards Fury spell with 3 times potency. That said, I'll still pick it up. I hope the world is as creative as Shivering Isles.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Hey, check it out! This is exactly the same goddamned press release they gave for Oblivion.

Let's go through this point for point:

*Easier to switch between magic and weapons!
*Combat is more visceral, not just swinging a weapon over and over!
*Blocking successfully is now a timing trick that sends an opponent reeling backwards!
*If you strike at the wrong time, you yourself reel backwards!
*Dagger is more useful in sneak attacking!
*AI goes into an alert state when they see something instead of immediately going after the player!

All of these points were used, in damn near exactly their current form, in the press releases for the last game. I guess I just have to hope they really mean it this time.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Give me back my spears, thrown weapons, unarmored skill (pissed me off the most in Oblivion how can I steal everything that isn't bolted down and on fire with all this armor weighing me down) and Morrowind enchanting and feather and then we'll see about me buying this.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
Trolls were a b*tch!

Glad they've done away with the need for kiting, it always made me think "I shoulda made a tank".

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I can't wait. I'm actually too excited. They're taking my favourite game ever and fixing everything that's wrong with it, putting in 5 new cities, newer graphics and classes, new spells, new characters.

I can't wait!

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
but I like the repetitive chopping, it was simple, I click the mouse, I hit the enemy a bit and they die, it was a system that worked well for me.
when you put it that way....

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Sounds pretty good, maybe we'll be able to dual-wield weapons - I'd like to see that. All I hope is that when it comes out, it isn't as buggy as New Vegas was; Bethesda have a bad habit of making excellent, yet initially-unplayable games.
Fixing the stealth sounds really good and I hope they discard the "We all know what you did!" bounty system. Maybe a messenger needs to be sent to warn other locations of your crimes if you escape and you can intercept them or something. And also, I'd like to see the ability to hide your identity in a way you won't be instantly greeted by "You're the Gray Fox; die!!!" everywhere.