Elder Scrolls V to Use New Engine

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Just in case anyone is interested, this is a quote from Bethesda's twitter account-

Bethesda said:
Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!
I was expecting them to use Id 5, but if they can do anything better than Gamebryo, it works for me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
This is good....I think they pushed it to the limit with new vegas

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
As long as:

Your guy/gal can no longer slide diagonally. This ruined 3rd person for me in both Fallout and Oblivion.

Combat is fixed. This beggar I am fighting should not take 3 or 4 hits of a sword to kill.

Your character's animation no longer is frozen when you're in mid-jump. This also ruined 3rd person for me.

I want the problems fixed before Oblviion. No, that was typed correctly, I did not make a typo. I wish for Bethesda to go back in time and fix these problems.

Regardless: Woo! Skyrim!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
I want the problems fixed before Oblviion. No, that was typed correctly, I did not make a typo. I wish for Bethesda to go back in time and fix these problems.
This so much. And at the VERY least, they could've learned from Oblivion and tried to improve the engine the slightest bit before releasing Fallout 3/NV.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
It seems we need a little more clarification before we can be sure of the 'new' engine's exact origins. All the information we have received so far is vague and incomplete.

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
Stubee said:
Given that im a console gamer and the "vanilla" experience is all im interested in then that wouldnt bother me at all. I would hope that mod support it an afterthought in almost all games developed these days.
So instead of them, say, bringing mod support to consoles you'd rather have them not implement a feature at all? Or; you'd rather them not implement a feature for PC because you're unable to use it on your console?

As for the thread itself: If they truly are changing to a different engine Skyrim may actually be worth buying. Had they stuck with the Gamebryo engine, and all it's issues, I more then likely would not purchase the game.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Phlakes said:
This so much. And at the VERY least, they could've learned from Oblivion and tried to improve the engine the slightest bit before releasing Fallout 3/NV.
There's only so much tweaking you can do to an engine that you're licensing off of another company.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
daemon37 said:
My wishlist for the new engine:
1) Facial/body animations that are less wooden
That has nothing to do with the engine.

Nor does a lot of the comments made here; as for this "new engine" they've already announced it's just an expansion of Gamebyro when claiming they started with the Fallout 3 tech.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
D_987 said:
as for this "new engine" they've already announced it's just an expansion of Gamebyro when claiming they started with the Fallout 3 tech.
Unless they've picked up the rights to the Gamebryo engine on the sly that would be a neat trick seeing as the company that licensed it out folded.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
D_987 said:
as for this "new engine" they've already announced it's just an expansion of Gamebyro when claiming they started with the Fallout 3 tech.
Unless they've picked up the rights to the Gamebryo engine on the sly that would be a neat trick seeing as the company that licensed it out folded.
I'm just going by what they said in the Eurogamer interview.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
I've watched the trailer 4 times and to quote some random guy on youtube:
I CAN'T STOP FAPPING! (not litterary)

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
NeedAUserName said:
By the time they get to Elder Scrolls 442915 (I dunno what that is in Roman numerals, and can't be bothered finding out) all the bugs should be gone.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMCMXV

They didn't have anything above M.
Ils sont fous ces romains!

Perturabo

Aug 12, 2010
Skoldpadda said:
NeedAUserName said:
By the time they get to Elder Scrolls 442915 (I dunno what that is in Roman numerals, and can't be bothered finding out) all the bugs should be gone.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMCMXV

They didn't have anything above M.
Ils sont fous ces romains!
Actually its:
_ _ _ _
D C L X M M C M X V

Now, on topic. I've taken a look at the trailer, and it's disappointing. Epic in terms for what is to come though. I really hope this new engine carries it far, and doesn't utterly destroy the modding community. I've always been a fan of mods.

furry-ryuu-ken

Jun 16, 2010
I wonder if there's going to be a "mages guild" sorta thing in this one. I remember have 100% chomil. It was fun. And dragons. Dragons. dragons. DRAGONS.[HEADING=1]DRAGONS[/HEADING] how awesome is that going to be.