Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Joe Biden has been a toxic influence on downballot races.

I don't do twitter so I haven't seen the clip, but that seems like a strange statement to have. Isn't it just as likely that the down ballot candidates are just less popular than Biden?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I don't do twitter so I haven't seen the clip, but that seems like a strange statement to have. Isn't it just as likely that the down ballot candidates are just less popular than Biden?
Considering that 2/3 of Biden's votes were according to polls "against Trump" rather than "for Biden", that seems unlikely.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
At that point you have to ask what the Dem machine is doing that they're somehow fielding candidates less popular than Biden. It's just more likely that Biden's appeal to radical centrists is just spurring people to vote for moderate Republicans instead, like what happened in Maine.

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I’ll break slightly and say it’s both actually. Biden’s campaign was very damaging in some places down ballot (Maine is an excellent example of this) while milquetoast, uninspiring candidates also running on “Trump is bad for America” but in an even less inspiring way are also fucking themselves over.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Considering that 2/3 of Biden's votes were according to polls "against Trump" rather than "for Biden", that seems unlikely.
Certainly, but a lot of the people losing on down ballot are the same kind of boring white dudes as Biden, only younger. My conjecture is that Biden can get people excited because of the office he runs for, because the opposing candidate is so hated, whereas the down ballot aren't really given the same consideration and thus would have to make up by actually being more interesting that a glass of lukewarm water.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Certainly, but a lot of the people losing on down ballot are the same kind of boring white dudes as Biden, only younger. My conjecture is that Biden can get people excited because of the office he runs for, because the opposing candidate is so hated, whereas the down ballot aren't really given the same consideration and thus would have to make up by actually being more interesting that a glass of lukewarm water.
Well, it’s not helping that most of them aren’t more interesting than a glass of lukewarm water yes I am mad about Jon Ossoff and I will stay mad about Jon Ossoff.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Joe Biden has been a toxic influence on downballot races.
...according to internet randos!

The Democrats need to look very hard at why they underperformed. But you might also need to accept that potentially it's your lot who had something to do with it, too. For instance, all those protests and calls to defund the police may have played out extremely poorly with a lot of voters.

Reactions: Tireseas

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

The Democrats need to look very hard at why they underperformed. But you might also need to accept that potentially it's your lot who had something to do with it, too. For instance, all those protests and calls to defund the police may have played out extremely poorly with a lot of voters.
Probably less than you think

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark

But it is a debate that must be had, and since no forum was really created for those people protesting to share their opinions there might not have been an alternative.

Of course it is bad that it played out in an election year, but I really think a lot of the blame falls on the shoulders of the people in power who allowed the situation to get so bad.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
For instance, all those protests and calls to defund the police may have played out extremely poorly with a lot of voters.
Fuck the cops. They’re the ones right now fucking up people demanding the count be finished. Fuck the cops. Fuck the cops. Fuck the cops. Not one of these lost opportunities ran on “fuck the cops.” Not a goddamn one. Don’t fucking blame people for having a problem with their oppressors.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix
Status
Not open for further replies.