Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I really hope this will finally teach the Dems that they really need to understand the needs of the people. This should have been a landslide for them, but they were insistent in choosing Joe for the nominee. I hope they will get their act together in the next 4 years and actually choose progressive outsiders. The people want someone that can actually talk like them.
I don’t care if it’s the Dems. Any America political party would do. But learning lessons doesn’t seem like a strong point

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm pretty sure mine rolled over from the old forum. I have no idea why mine is like the only one that did.
A few of us had our new post counts attached to our old ones. It was something Nick had to do manually, and I think he did it for the first like 5 Legacy users who registered for the new forums before he went back to doing other stuff.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I would say that they have a substantial disagreement. Then the media claims one side is not progressive enough, Eg. A major recent one is JK Rowling. Many people HD different claims about what appropriate. Then the media pretend it was just about her not being progressive enough. Like, if you’re not going to bother to find out viewpoints from all sides then maybe calm down with your rhetoric
yet that's the narrative that sets in among "progressives" not the disagreement. J.K. Rowling is a Terf or so the claim goes and is echoed by many others.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You campaign for drastic police reform that is supportive of the purpose of police while eliminating flaws, and disown the people who think police are just modern day slavers and want the abolition of law enforcement.
So, spend more money on cops through community policing and efforts at reform.

Tried that, didn't work
You campaign for government healthcare as a social good rather than some inalienable right that all people are obligated to support.
And when your opponents think sick poor people dying is a social good? GOP was saying "cull the weak, I want a haircut"
You stop pretending right-wing politics is racism. You stop pretending right-wing politics is racism. You stop pretending right-wing politics is racism. Nobody cares to hear an anti-racism message when racism is "anything I happen to disagree with." In fact, never message any policy as "anti-something" unless you are specific and upfront about what that something is.
Right wing politics *is* racism. Gutting the voting rights act *is* racism. Fearmongering about welfare queens, invasions of the suburbs, and "black on black" crime *is* racism. Shuttering refugee programs because some refugees are Muslims "and you know how they are" *is* bigotry. Why the fuck else is the ex-Governor of fucking Montana vetoing a "ban sharia law" bill an election issue otherwise? We're stupid white up here. The largest concentration of Muslim people in Montana are out of state university students, and we could probably fi5 all of them on a bus, why else would the GOP try and pass that bill?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I really hope this will finally teach the Dems that they really need to understand the needs of the people. This should have been a landslide for them, but they were insistent in choosing Joe for the nominee. I hope they will get their act together in the next 4 years and actually choose progressive outsiders. The people want someone that can actually talk like them.
Yeah, not likely to happen. About the best that can be said is that they aren't changing that way in a response to Biden almost losing, instead of not changing in a response to Biden losing.

Looking at the results, it's about as true to say that "the people" want another Trump as they want a progressive. So, go sorta halfway and hope everyone votes for you, can't lose...

Right wing politics *is* racism. Gutting the voting rights act *is* racism. Fearmongering about welfare queens, invasions of the suburbs, and "black on black" crime *is* racism. Shuttering refugee programs because some refugees are Muslims "and you know how they are" *is* bigotry. Why the fuck else is the ex-Governor of fucking Montana vetoing a "ban sharia law" bill an election issue otherwise? We're stupid white up here. The largest concentration of Muslim people in Montana are out of state university students, and we could probably fi5 all of them on a bus, why else would the GOP try and pass that bill?
As long as they don't explicitly say they are racist, you're not allowed to explicitly say they are, it's a rule.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
yet that's the narrative that sets in among "progressives" not the disagreement. J.K. Rowling is a Terf or so the claim goes and is echoed by many others.
It’s not the progressives saying that. They usually saying that she isn’t treating people nicely enough. Which, hopefully, ISNT solely a progressive stand point

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
1) The first bit is it requires a leap to get to that and acceptance of that being true.

2) It requires acceptance of it also not being a huge exaggeration of said people or a misuse of said term.

We live in a world where this has happened

and this

Sorry but just like terms like Triggered, racism as a claim to smear some one or express dislike has been overplayed for honestly minor disagreements with some people claiming they somehow own the rights to elements of entire cultures.

So when you go "Oh said politician is racist" to a fair few people it will be "Oh so they once prepared a curry at home them self and didn't buy the ingredients from an Indian market shop"

3) You actually have to show why those fears are unfounded not just rely on -its and -isms that have been getting over played because they are words with emotional weight.

4) Refusing to solve something people see as an issue just because the other party supports it doesn't help either it lets them paint one side as for it because they're fighting to block it?

How hard is this?

"Do you think Sharia Law is good?"

"No"

"Care to help make it illegal to be implemented?"

"Yes"

"Right next issue"

Pick your battles and hills to die on, especially in cases where so called "progressives" should see the thing as absolutely a bill in like with most values because Sharia Law certainly isn't in line with "progressive" values as a concept.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It’s not the progressives saying that. They usually saying that she isn’t treating people nicely enough. Which, hopefully, ISNT solely a progressive stand point
yeh it is. You'll find plenty of people yelling that J.K. Rowling is a terf.

Hell Jim Fucking Sterling son has done it multiple times in the past few months in his content.

There's no actual examination of her points etc it's just "J.K. Rowling is a terf"

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yes, Van Jones finally mentioned a general strike!!!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Hell Jim Fucking Sterling son has done it multiple times in the past few months in his content.

There's no actual examination of her points etc it's just "J.K. Rowling is a terf"
I mean, the complete opposite is true. Nice investigation, though. Cracked the case and everything

But you do you. If you don’t want to find out about what they claim, that’s fine

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Well, the Trans Exclusionary part is pretty clear cut. I was a bit dubious about the RadFem bit, but she does quote Andrea Dworkin.

Less flippantly. I am a bit dubious about associating transphobia with Radical Feminism. TERFs certainly do exist, but you don't have to be Trans Exclusionary to be a Radical Feminist, nor do you need to be a Radical Feminism to be Trans Exclusionary.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, the Trans Exclusionary part is pretty clear cut. I was a bit dubious about the RadFem bit, but she does quote Andrea Dworkin.

Less flippantly. I am a bit dubious about associating transphobia with Radical Feminism. TERFs certainly do exist, but you don't have to be Trans Exclusionary to be a Radical Feminist, nor do you need to be a Radical Feminism to be Trans Exclusionary.
I found it weird they call them radical. Why not call them reactionary

Status
Not open for further replies.