Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
I’m going to assume that some political interests didn’t want it and paid a lot of money for ads to make it seem evil. You’d have to know more about Mass to know who those interest are.
I think people underestimate how much people are uncomfortable changing systems they're used to into something that they are unfamiliar with even when they're not super satisfied with the current system (see: pretty much any time there's a healthcare debate). Hell, it was only after Governor Paul "proto-Trump" LePage winning with less than 40% of the popular vote in 2010 that it caught on enough in Maine, which has had several instances of minority rule in the last few decades.

The fact it made it onto the ballot is not a small thing. It means there is a large enough political constituency to move it forward, which means the movement just needs to figure out the right messaging to convince people to be more comfortable with the concept.

Reactions: Satinavian

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
What makes you think so?
So, I was entirely willing to just let this be the punch-line to all of this, but...
Is that what Wikipedia told you, seeing how "cooperative" is one of the first words in of the article? And then you just took that and ran along that train of thought, which brought you to the conclusion that the participants must be on the same footing? Because that's what it sounds like. And no, these are not socratic questions, they are rhetorical, but you're free to deny that this is what you did, regardless.

My advice would be to read the rest of the article.
So, this was in response to a person who, just a few posts ago, said that they pretty much agreed with your point, and merely pointed out that you tend to also engage in the same behavior. I also just love how much umbrage you took to "having to consider your fellow forum posters as equals", just a riot. I could just leave it as that, but I figure I may as well point out that while I could very much go over the particulars of the rudeness of your statement, I can simply sum it up with this; you did not have to post your "advice" on how he could improve his humming abilities to not sound like a dying fish (to you). Just like how I don't have to post this;
rake.gif

So anyway!

A lawsuit by the Arizona GOP has been dismissed.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So, I was entirely willing to just let this be the punch-line to all of this, but...
So you can't explain why giving people on pointers on how to hum is rude? You need to switch examples? Okay.

. I also just love how much umbrage you took to "having to consider your fellow forum posters as equal
What makes you think I took any umbrage?

while I could very much go over the particulars of the rudeness of your statement
I don't believe that you can, given how you've previously claimed things and failed to back them up

you did not have to post your "advice" on how he could improve his humming abilities
I know I didn't have to, just like how I don't need to hold the door open for others or tip extra or donate to charity. But I do it because I'm nice. What's your point?

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I just want to know why people hate agreement? I mean, I know this is the Escapist and we're supposed to hate everything everyone else says forever, but is there so much cynicism that people agreeing with each causes physical revulsion and questions of sanity?
"echo chamber"
"circle jerk"

So if Trump was soooo convinced his country's elections were corrupt and fraudulent, why didn't he do something in the four years leading up to this inevitable tantrum? Like unify voting standards across the country, so he could avoid this fraud he was so convinced would occur?

Also, how is his graceless blocking of Biden's administration from vital preparation for running the country and his last-minute firing and hiring of sycophants in major positions of power actually legal in a democracy?
Is America even a democracy?
When will he be dragged out kicking and screaming and his enablers prosecuted for aiding an attempted coup?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"echo chamber"
"circle jerk"

So if Trump was soooo convinced his country's elections were corrupt and fraudulent, why didn't he do something in the four years leading up to this inevitable tantrum? Like unify voting standards across the country, so he could avoid this fraud he was so convinced would occur?

Also, how is his graceless blocking of Biden's administration from vital preparation for running the country and his last-minute firing and hiring of sycophants in major positions of power actually legal in a democracy?
Is America even a democracy?
When will he be dragged out kicking and screaming and his enablers prosecuted for aiding an attempted coup?
My understanding is he can't as such things come under the purview of state officials and legislators not national government. So he can say publicly he wants them to replace said machines or use only US servers to process the data but there's no obligation for states to actually do that.

Also technically The Electoral College doesn't vote until the 14th of December so he's only really president in name so far. Al-Gore didn't concede until the 13th of December in 2000 so this isn't some super unheard of thing that's never happened before that Trump is doing.

Trump won't be dragged out until the 12th of January when the official hand over happens an inauguration ceremony etc

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
My understanding is he can't as such things come under the purview of state officials and legislators not national government.
So there's no way a president or congress can legislate election reform to ensure this shitshow never happens again, and now the standard has been set for anyone shameless enough to act the same way in every election?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Anyone for a Donald Trump Bobble head?
"I can promise you that I will never, ever let you down. I won't."
That's an unfortunate one to include for a man who just lost an election. I think he just let Republicans down big time.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So there's no way a president or congress can legislate election reform to ensure this shitshow never happens again, and now the standard has been set for anyone shameless enough to act the same way in every election?
I mean any presidential order can be challenged and states are allowed a degree of autonomy in how they run things including running their elections which would mean the order being challenged in courts and likely losing.

If Biden passes is mask order (which is good IMHO) it will likely be challenged and shot down too.

At best a president could deny federal funding to states until they do what he wants but that also means the state will often keep their tax money in return or find other ways to not co-operate

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Al Gore conceeded initially and then reneged. That's probably worse than not conceeding. It's highly possible that initial conceed lead to the High Court going against him. I understand why Trump is not conceeding, he thinks he can win. I don't know how you stop this from happening. Having votes recounted, checks for fraud and necessary court cases adjudicated is really important. It does mean you have to put up with people who are going to abuse the system

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Is that what Wikipedia told you, seeing how "cooperative" is one of the first words in of the article? And then you just took that and ran along that train of thought, which brought you to the conclusion that the participants must be on the same footing? Because that's what it sounds like. And no, these are not socratic questions, they are rhetorical, but you're free to deny that this is what you did, regardless.
I'm hoping against hope that you notice this passage exhibits pretty much every one of the baiting behaviours I described before, and is a great example of a high-text, low-content post of the kind I mentioned.

I was originally going to go with "constructive". Maybe that would have avoided this pointless deflection altogether. Unfortunately, I didn't check the wiki to know which terms to avoid using.

So, Socratic questioning, then. Socrates was an asshole.
Socrates was not an exemplary practitioner of what we would now call the Socratic method.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Al Gore conceeded initially and then reneged. That's probably worse than not conceeding. It's highly possible that initial conceed lead to the High Court going against him. I understand why Trump is not conceeding, he thinks he can win. I don't know how you stop this from happening. Having votes recounted, checks for fraud and necessary court cases adjudicated is really important. It does mean you have to put up with people who are going to abuse the system
Surely every accusation of fraud has a corresponding fix which probably just involves coordinating information checking between all levels of government, something this so-called information age is perfectly fit for. Why isn't it done?
I'm feeling like they want there to be some fuzziness in the results, perhaps precisely so trump can do what he is doing.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Al Gore conceeded initially and then reneged. That's probably worse than not conceeding. It's highly possible that initial conceed lead to the High Court going against him.
Nah, he was boned.

The five right-wing SCOTUS justices just decided to award the election to Bush, with a decision they knew was dodgy (Scalia later even described it as "bullshit"), as evinced by the fact they effectively also declared that their ruling didn't form precedent: something that should give anyone pause about its rigour.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I'm hoping against hope that you notice this passage exhibits pretty much every one of the baiting behaviours I described before, and is a great example of a high-text, low-content post of the kind I mentioned.

I was originally going to go with "constructive". Maybe that would have avoided this pointless deflection altogether. Unfortunately, I didn't check the wiki to know which terms to avoid using.

Socrates was not an exemplary practitioner of what we would now call the Socratic method.
Generally speaking, anyone who tries to wear the mantle of Socrates is a pretentious asshole looking for arguments.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So the manual recount in Georgia came to nothing. Trump has dropped the main count he was pursuing in Pennsylvania (to disallow the mail-in ballots that he claims were counted without observers close enough), meaning that the only remaining point he's pursuing there is only disputing a few hundred ballots. And his primary challenge in Arizona has been thrown out with prejudice.

So there's no longer any realistic way Georgia, Arizona or Pennsylvania could change (I mean, there wasn't anyway, but these are the final nails in the coffins there). That leaves... Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada.

Even in the event of success in the remaining lawsuits, then, the overall result of the election cannot be overturned. It's past even that point. Why are Republicans (with some notable exceptions, like Brad Raffensperger & Mitt Romney) continuing with this infantile tantrum?

We know why Trump is, of course: it's a money-making scam targeting his own supporters, as he tries to worm his way out of debt. But the rest of the "party of personal responsibility"? Is it sheer commitment to saving face, or an attempt to whip up anger and resentment in advance of 2024?

Status
Not open for further replies.