Electronic Arts Signs Exclusive Star Wars Game Deal With Disney

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Dammit Disney. Why couldn't you sign this deal with a publisher that doesn't engage in some of the most despicable practices in the industry. While you're at it, why not sign it with a publisher that has actually made a game I give a shit about in the past five years.

Also, I'm guessing this means that that supposedly excellent Star Wars idea that Obsidian had probably isn't going to happen. What a shame.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
This is appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s sorry dont know how to put vids in correctly

but seriously this is fucking terrible just when we thought ea might go down in few years or be forced to think differntly they get one of the biggest ip's ever and will probably microtransacrape/milk it to oblivion just great BUT we we might get one really good BattleFront game but afterwards seems like doom and gloom from there track record.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Holy hell no one did this already?

"as if millions of (geek)voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
ohnoitsabear said:
Dammit Disney. Why couldn't you sign this deal with a publisher that doesn't engage in some of the most despicable practices in the industry. While you're at it, why not sign it with a publisher that has actually made a game I give a shit about in the past five years.
Because EA's not the publisher that Disney needs, but the one that it deserves.

You are talking about a company that threatened to sue daycare centers for copyright-infringing murals.
http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

And that's not even getting into Disney's role in how copyright laws got to be as excessive as they are in the first place.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
In retrospect, we really should have seen something like this coming. I don't care about Star Wars enough these days to really give a fuck, so I will give EA a chance,one chance.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Really? I'll wait and see what is released before jumping to conclusions about the deal. Hopefully they'll bury the horrible Force Unleashed stuff and bring back the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series! Alongside the usual requests.

But...I have a bad feeling about this.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Soooo you ignore Obsidian's initiative to make a good KOTOR game for once and now this?
Alright, I get it, as a bunch of people in suits who are not interested in videogames in the slightest, siding with the other guys in suits who bloodyblahblah (EA) kind of makes sense but still... They have to at least read the news from time to time, right? right?

Fucking damn it Disney.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Not going to jump to conclusions, could have potential in the long run. In the meantime,

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I'd be more upset by this if there hadn't been a solid Star Wars game since X-Wing and Dark Forces and all of that. The games focused entirely on Jedi/Sith just don't do it for me. There is a lot more to Star Wars than that stuff. I'd kill for a game without a single lightsaber in it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Also Andy, don't ever use that picture again.
Am I the only one who didn't mind that edit?

Like the new movies or not, they are part of the canon, and it makes sense for Anakins ghost to...well look like anakin.

OT: Well, those are good devs, but how bad is EA gonna fuck those games up with micro transactions?

Karathos

May 10, 2009
In before knee-jerk reactions and overly dramatic sweeping statements and personal opinio-... Aww, too late! :(

It seems the simple act of reserving judgement until you actually have something to comment on is a rare and mysterious gift nowadays. I've enjoyed SWTOR thoroughly, so I'm definitely not going to start blubbing big crocodile tears until there's an actual reason.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Wow, glad to see no one is throwing about any knee-jerk reactions here. Yes, EA has pulled some stupid s*** in the past couple of years, but let's think about the studios that they're handing the franchise off to, and what games will be handled by them.

We have DICE, which is the obvious contender to develop Battlefront 3. As someone who absolutely loved the early BF games, and Battlefield 3, I'm not too concerned about them getting their hands on the Battlefront IP. We're not going to see a super gritty, color drained Battlefront game, as Battlefield is that way simply because it's stylized, and that's the direction they're taking it in. There's a lot to learn from the style and color pallets of Battlefront 1 & 2, and I'm sure that DICE will realize this when/if they begin development. Also, they would be the most likely of the three studios to develop sequels to Republic Commando.

Visceral could easily also pick up Republic Commando, but I really see them picking up StarWars 1313 where it left off. The seedy underbelly vibe of the game fits with the darker themes of the Dead Space franchise, and their experience with 3rd Person shooter mechanics is the strongest of the three teams. What new games would come out of Visceral, I'm not sure. There are a lot of space combat games that are desperately crying out for sequels, but whether they would be picked up by Visceral who, as a studio is still in its infancy and not locked into a specific genre of video games, or by DICE who will have to have some experience under their belt with space combat to make a true sequel to BF2, is uncertain.

Bioware is arguably the most confusing of the three in terms of where their projects will take them. We'll probably see some KoToR-esque sequels to past franchises out of them, alongside continued development of The Old Republic until they run that into the ground. I'm unsure what new IP's will come out of their studios, as all I've ever known them for is Action-RPG's, but they definitely have the talent (at least outside of the writing department), to develop various types of titles.

All in all, we're talking about three well received (for the most part) studios with a bit of a troubled past in some regard, but all more than willing to handle new and old IP's within the Star Wars universe.

TL;DR: Let's put those torches and pitchforks on layaway until we see some actual product.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010

I mean seriously?
EA?

The Company that published TOR? Then put the single most disgusting F2P "options" on it ever seen?
What the hell Disney? What the actual hell.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neronium said:
...I was having a glorious day until I saw this. D:
I mean, I had to give a special occasion speech in Com 103 so I decided to do a congratulations speech for EA on winning the golden poo two years in a row, then this happens...T^T
Someone at Disney needs their inbox spammed with that article proclaiming EA's second year of being the worst company ever.

Man, two really lousy things to find out in one day... I need some therapy now.
TWEWYFan said:
Disney is giving Star Wars to Electronic "We kill everything we get our hands on" Arts?
Pretty much my reaction.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Am i the only one who thinks this is a good thing?

EA will throw out loads of awful star wars games (its not like there was any shortage of them already) but will most likely resurect Battlefront 3 because they desperactly love money and that game will make a shitload.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Seriously people wait for the flippin games to be released before you put on your drama queen dress.

Isn't everyone always bitching for a new Star Wars Battlefront? And the guys who make Battlefield are gonna be making Star Wars games?
That's EXACTLY WHY WE'RE WORRIED! We don't want the guys who turned Battlefield 3 into CoD 4 to do the same thing to Battlefront!