Electronic Arts Signs Exclusive Star Wars Game Deal With Disney

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
savageoblivi0n said:
it must be done...

I for one am going to wait and see what they come up with before making a judgement call, from everything I've been reading it has the potential to go either way.
Wait... what is this? Sane speak suggesting people are quick to jump to conclusions and should actually wait for the final product before judgement, like they never did for the Syndicate reboot, or the XCOM shooter/detective game that's now just a tactical TPS, or Dark Void, or every TF2 update and how it's "destroyed" TF2, or anything that dares to not do exactly what they claim they want but have no idea what they actually want because that's how fans are... is it true?

Yes it is! THANK YOU GOD!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Also Andy, don't ever use that picture again.
Am I the only one who didn't mind that edit?

Like the new movies or not, they are part of the canon, and it makes sense for Anakins ghost to...well look like anakin.

OT: Well, those are good devs, but how bad is EA gonna fuck those games up with micro transactions?
Pretty much this (regarding the edit).

As for EA and the exclusive deal with Disney.
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?
I mean really? Not having an exclusive deal, and so having potentially any developer make star-wars games was the ONLY silver lining in Lucas Arts getting dismantled. And of all the publishers to sign an exclusive deal with, Activision is literally the only worse choice.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So, I'm guessing no Obsidian Star Wars games anymore. And every game will now fall under my "Don't buy shit on origin" blanket. Well fuck.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I guess the only worse choice would have been Atari(WotC had to sue them to get the rights to D&D games back due to how badly they mishandled the license). A few years ago I might have said Activision, but EA has been working hard at retaking its shit crown.

Oh well. I guess the closest thing to a silver lining is that EA will probably milk that fucker for all it's worth. Probably why Disney chose them, come to think of it.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Parakeettheprawn said:
savageoblivi0n said:
it must be done...

I for one am going to wait and see what they come up with before making a judgement call, from everything I've been reading it has the potential to go either way.
Wait... what is this? Sane speak suggesting people are quick to jump to conclusions and should actually wait for the final product before judgement, like they never did for the Syndicate reboot, or the XCOM shooter/detective game that's now just a tactical TPS, or Dark Void, or every TF2 update and how it's "destroyed" TF2, or anything that dares to not do exactly what they claim they want but have no idea what they actually want because that's how fans are... is it true?

Yes it is! THANK YOU GOD!
Yeah, its best not to jump to conclusions. And yes I realize that in my above post I kinda did, though I would like to clarify that my frustration lies more with the fact that an exclusive deal was signed at all, particularly with an ailing publisher with a history of doing harm to franchises.

It could still be good, but now the hope is much more limited. And it's fun to yell sometimes. Even on the internet.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013

Fuck, there goes any chance of having new, interesting Star Wars games. It's over guys, Star Wars isn't getting a new lease on life under disney.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Woot, so if you ever want to play a star wars game ever again, you have to submit and install Origin...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
But Disney Star Wars is no good to me dead and well since you handed them over to EA the worst company imaginable they are as good as dead to me no matter what they do.

Of all the publishers it had to be EA with the worst proven business models and track records, they would have given it a week to a months careful thought on who to choose to steer the game franchise in the right direction but someone at the office just had to be a total retarded dick to choose EA over everyone else.

I used to have hope, hope that one day we would eventually be able to play Battlefront 3 and bask in it's glory and wonder but now there is no hope and all that remains is the empty husk of broken promises and sadness, which leads me to believe that we as gamers were never meant to play Battlefront 3 and that they did not want our money and respect.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Daft Time said:

Fuck, there goes any chance of having new, interesting Star Wars games. It's over guys, Star Wars isn't getting a new lease on life under disney.
Yup. There's that pic I was talking about.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I'm looking forward to the Star Wars cross promotion day-1 DLCs for toally unrelated games. Lightsabers in my Dragon Age 3? It is more likely than you think!

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
*Indifferent shrug* Whatever, won't be buying into any of it unless something ridiculous happens - too many dodgy releases in the last few years, and honestly, the more that Disney can be avoided the better because frankly I'm starting to find them a little bit creepy...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Ldude893 said:

Okay.

EA, you're a company populated by massive idiots, but you're not immune from making good games.
Battlefield 3 had a crap single player mode, but it's multiplayer was a hell lot of fun, and it's obvious Battlefront series was based on your series in the first place.
Sim City had an absolutely disastrous release due to its DRM and its buggy A.I; elements that EVERYONE has warned you about beforehand. The idea showed promise, and the idea of connected cities isn't a bad idea so long as it. but you had to ruin a good concept with bad mechanics and execution for the purpose of internet connectivity.
Mass Effect's last installment was horrid, but even so the entirety of the series is one of the best science fiction RPGs in recent times. It's just a shame that your meddling caused the series to end on such a bad note.
The problem with you, EA, is that you sabotage your own efforts to make good games by adding unnecessary features that supposedly benefit the game experience, and you ignore the input of fans despite the fact that their advice could save your games from exploding in front of your faces.

But considering the output of Lucasarts before its demise was arguably worse than even your company's lineup, transferring rights of future Star Wars games to you isn't going to do much damage already. Possibly it could diminish the chances of a good Star Wars even further, but then again you're the company who made Battlefield. What better company to publish a Star Wars Battlefront game than the publisher of the very game that inspired it? Hell, according to the deal you're going to get DICE working on a Star Wars game; that alone is exciting already.
Bioware already made Star Wars: The Old Republic and KOTOR. The latter's gameplay was meh but still had a good story, and the former contributed so much to the Star Wars mythos while being a great RPG at the same time.
And then there's Visceral. Dead Space 3 completely dropped the horror aspect of the series by making it into a bland multiplayer shooter. I've yet to see a good game that can convey horror by giving it a multiplayer mode, but the co-op elements alone were decent. Who knows, we could actually have a Han Solo-related game coming from them if they aren't pushed into aiming for as many audiences as possible (which is unfortunately not likely).
They're good developers who can at least make a game that the late Lucasarts wasn't able to produce in the past five years, and they really show promise. The only thing that can hinder them is EA's incredibly moronic corporate practices that hinder any chance for innovation or interesting deviation from other games.

But so long as there's still a teaspoon potential, EA, I'm going to do this:

I'm going to take a look at the next three Star Wars games coming out of your developers. Not play, look. I'll only bother to purchase one of your games if it's either exceptionally good or if it's Battlefront 3. If at least TWO of them grade above average in my books, I will consider your deal to Disney as "okay", at least until the next three games come around; in which case I will judge them with the same formula.

Aside from resisting the urge to detonate a thought bomb [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thought_bomb] within your headquarters, it's the very least I can do.
Yeah, I will reserve my judgement until EA actually concoct a royal balls up. The good thing about this is that we know they won't just sit on this IP, so we will start getting Star Wars games pretty sharpish.

The problem is that it's EA, so expect rushed production and tight budgets leading to an unpolished finish and valuable resources and gameplay proposals diverted to DLC, along with homogenisation of any unique ideas to appeal to the lowest common denominator. (It doesn't matter what type of game they make, this is what they do, and they don't even realise it's the very reason their games suck after the second or third installment.)

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I dunno.

EA made some good Lord of the Rings games when it wasn't a direct tie-in and the Harry Potter games when they cared were really good.
'The Simpsons Game' was also fun.

EA can do great stuff based off IP.

SO IN THEORY, this could work out.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Also Andy, don't ever use that picture again.

Like the new movies or not, they are part of the canon, and it makes sense for Anakins ghost to...well look like anakin.

OT: Well, those are good devs, but how bad is EA gonna fuck those games up with micro transactions?
Why? He didn't die when he was an old man. Obi wan still looks old as well.

I don't know that I would classify TOR as a 'debacle'. TOR is a solid game, just poorly timed.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Honestly, I am kinda happy about this. I know a lot of people don't like EA but the developers that they own like Dice and Bioware are pretty good.

I would love to see Dice make a sequel to Republic Commando taking place during the end of The Clone Wars and even during Order 66. Plus, they could make battlefront 3 which I have been waiting years for.

I love TOR and KOTOR so I am fine with Bioware being able to develop Star Wars games. I would love to see them make one akin to Mass Effect.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Saviordd1 said:

I have a serious problem with it because of how Lucas treated half the actors to play Vader. David Prowse (Vader's suit actor), was completely fucked over during his filming of the OT, not being told he was being redubbed, not being told about the Vader/Luke twist, and being cut out of interviews so that Hamill and James Earl Jones got all the spotlight. Even Mark Hamill said that was a bad move, since he worked extensively with Prowse, while only meeting Jones during redubbing sessions.

The worst part came when Lucas accused David Prowse of leaking the ending to Return of the Jedi (that later turned out to be completely bogus), and when Prowse called him out on the bullshit, he was blacklisted from any Star Wars events or conventions at Lucas's command.

The second person to be screwed over was Sebastian Shaw, the guy who played the unmasked Vader in Jedi. Why bother showing him all chopped up like that if you were just going to replace him later? The point of unmasking Vader and then showing him as a changed man in ghost form was to see the redemption in action.

What do we get instead? The crippled man who asked for forgiveness being turned into the guy who committed child murders.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
All you need to do is release Battlefront II with better graphics and maybe expand the amount of players in a match.
If the second part is too much for you, just stick to the better graphics part.

That puts expectations really low/achievable while giving you every possibility of making me and bunch of other people very happy.
DOOOO it!
Don't screw it up!!

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
And...
EDIT: I couldn't find a clip of Obi-Wan's "I sense a great disturbance in the Force..." line.